Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
I almost exclusively use it in landscape mode. It is easier to hold and I feel stuff just looks more natural in landscape: webpages, movies etc.

Thoughts?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I alternate so much that I was really pissed when Apple got rid of the orientation lock switch. I still have my original iPad Air so will be enjoying the switch for some time, but when it comes time to upgrade I will miss it big time!

How hard was it for them to keep the switch around, or at least maybe convert it into a button? (hold it down for 1s to toggle)

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I use it 90% of the time in landscape but mostly because my case makes it a pain to use it in portrait. When I take the case off I immediately feel like using it in portrait.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I use portrait mode a lot, even more so since I switched from a full size to a mini. I think it was a great call by Apple to give the iPad a 4:3 aspect ratio, as this is what facilitates a good portrait mode experience.

Reactions: mastercheif91

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I'm almost exclusively a portrait user.

I alternate so much that I was really pissed when Apple got rid of the orientation lock switch. I still have my original iPad Air so will be enjoying the switch for some time, but when it comes time to upgrade I will miss it big time!

How hard was it for them to keep the switch around, or at least maybe convert it into a button? (hold it down for 1s to toggle)

You can do this in control center. Nice and easy with fewer physical buttons that can break.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
90% of the time I use in portrait mode. The only times I use it landscape is for some games and movies.

Thus I wonder why most of ipad cases offer landscape viewing. There should be equal cases that offer portrait viewing like moshi versacover.

iPadDad

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
I am a what you might call a power user ;-) , all I use is iPad, when I am working at a desk it is in landscape, I use it in portrate hardly ever, it's also much easier to type with it in landscape as the keyboard is bigger.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Most of the time, yeah. It feels more like a natural piece of paper in portrait.

I only use it in landscape for:
- games
- videos
- rare website that plays better with landscape
- when in my keyboard cover

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
For reading articles and web browsing I tend to use it in portrait. For games and videos I use in landscape.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
just like my iPhone I mostly use it in portrait mode unless I am watching something or a game requires it

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
The only issue I have with my ipad mini is the audio playback system, it sucks...it is one sided when not using headphones, if you hold the ipad in landscape mode all the sound plays out of one side, which bizarrely for reasons only known to Jony, is called stereo..

Given there are 2 sections of small dots, I assume are audio holes, under-which are 2 mono speakers when stereo is selected plays stereo audio...

Why not have the 2nd of the tiny speakers on the opposite side of the ipad when held in landscape mode???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.