Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarsonS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Hi
I have a bunch on photos and some video on CDs/DVDs as well as some on my Mac that I want to put onto a couple of extrnal drives for safe keeping. More that the Mac will hold at once. I tried partitianing a My Book exernal drive - one side to as a mac so I could recover the pics/video if needed the other side as MDOS (FAT) as I hoped I could play these on my TV. My TV recognized the Hardrive and showed the partitian but wouldn't bring up any pics or videos. Also the My Book only hooked up with a USB so I don't know if it would play video even if it recognized it.

What is the best/easiest way I can back up my pics/video so I can get at them with my Mac and also see on my TV.

Hopefuly a solution without an Apple TV box - I don't have one of those.

Thanks for the help.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Personally I'd recommend getting a backup into the cloud somewhere.

Flickr offers 1000GB for free and there is nothing shameful in HQ JPEG backups if it's just a last resort safety.

Not knowing your TV setup I would then recommend a Chromecast or similar with a flickr app which would allow you to stream the shots to your TV screen.

I'd be very careful partitioning your harddrive. I see no need for that and it sounds like it could only cause things to go wrong!

CarsonS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Thanks
I am backing up to both Flickr and Smugmug but I just like having something that I can physically touch that has all the pics and videos - even if I never actually need to use it it just sort of feels good to know its in that box in the back of the closet.

If partitioning a hard drive isn't a good idea I guess I would have to stick with the mac format. I have a few different TV options all different brands and the brand would likely change anyways.

If I did get an apple TV box could I use that to get the pics/videos off the hard drive and onto the TV?

Thanks

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I use a Synology NAS to store photos at home. The NAS is a DS213 basic model but serves a dlna client that most smart TVs or set top boxes/ computers can access.

Works a treat.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Flickr is truly the ultimate photo site. You can use the Apple TV app and have it look at a particular album on Flickr, instead of showing everything.

That's what I do. I just point my Apple TV's Flickr account to the "Apple TV Family Album".

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
The problem I have with Flickr is that when viewing photos as a guest to a gallery, there are very obtrusive ads mixed in with the photo stream. It's like scrolling though a Yahoo news photo gallery ... 7 or 8 pictures, then a full screen ad that you have to bypass. Unless there is some way around that that I don't know about, I have a hard time using Flickr for general photo sharing.

EDIT: Is this something they've stopped doing? A couple of months ago this was intolerable, but this morning it wasn't putting ads into the slideshow.

Last edited:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
The problem I have with Flickr is that when viewing photos as a guest to a gallery, there are very obtrusive ads mixed in with the photo stream. It's like scrolling though a Yahoo news photo gallery ... 7 or 8 pictures, then a full screen ad that you have to bypass. Unless there is some way around that that I don't know about, I have a hard time using Flickr for general photo sharing.

EDIT: Is this something they've stopped doing? A couple of months ago this was intolerable, but this morning it wasn't putting ads into the slideshow.

I've personally never seen an ad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.