Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
I finally got the Plus. First day a friend throws it around and shakes it. No drops.

I assume that wouldn't cause any problems, they're durable enough for that?

New toy, a bit overprotective.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
get a new friend or learn to stand up for yourself. i.e. punch them and scare the ****er

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I have had my 6+ now for 3 months or so. it's in a rather small, cheap plastic hard case. i don't treat my phones with much respect, and it's held up very very well. example: dropped it in the running shower the first day. dropped it on tiles the 2nd day. no real issues, nothings broken, no scratches (thanks to case). and it's not bent.

should be fine, unless you doing something out of the ordinary

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
As much as your friends enjoy playing with you new phone, I would think about which one would replace it if they dropped and damaged it. I have witnessed a brand new phone dropped face down with glass shattered by someone's friend and it was only two days old. The story did not end well and the owner ended up replacing the new phone. Lesson learned.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
New toy, a bit overprotective.
You're not being over protective, I'm not sure how good a friend is that will throw a brand new phone. I suggest you have a discussion with him regarding respecting people's property and/or find a new friend.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
No way a friend is tossing around my nearly $1K toy.

I just use an ultra thin "like nothing is there" case and my phone still looks perfect after over a month of constantly going in and out of pockets and sitting on my car GPS mount.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
My 6 plus is 3 months old and it's been in and out of my bags and pockets. I keep it in the Apple silicone case. It's still in excellent condition, no bends, scratches or scuffs. As long as you treat it with a modicum of respect you'll be fine.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I use an Apple Leather case on mine. It has fallen a few times with no damage.

It also took a swim in the toilet* for about 3-4 seconds, and (knock on wood) so far so good. Works fine,

* clean toilet :)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
You're not being over protective, I'm not sure how good a friend is that will throw a brand new phone. I suggest you have a discussion with him regarding respecting people's property and/or find a new friend.

To be honest, I'm surprised why the majority have chosen to lecture the OP on his lifestyle choices and not really answer his question. I mean, that's his own personal business - etc..

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Yeah don't worry they won't be touching it again.

So, due to the fact the iPhone supports shake to undo, I assume what he did wouldn't do anything to my phone, correct?

I plan on keeping this the next couple of years so wanna know if it can stand up to stuff like that.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

So, due to the fact the iPhone supports shake to undo, I assume what he did wouldn't do anything to my phone, correct?

I plan on keeping this the next couple of years so wanna know if it can stand up to stuff like that.

these things are pretty durable.
cosmetic-wise, theyre not. but functionaility wise, they are.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

As long as your camera, buttons, speaker and microphones are working, and the screen isn't damaged, you should be good to go.

It can, to a point. A couple accidental bits of rough handling now and then shouldn't be too bad. "Friends" deliberately roughing up your expensive phone is kinda asking for trouble, and you just might get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.