Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
I would like to upgrade from Snow Leopard to Yosemite.

The thing is, I have an old Parallels 5 (5.0.9370) installation (NOT Bootcamp) + it's own files/applications.

Can I safely upgrade to Yosemite, and perhaps keep this installation intact?
Then at a later time, perhaps buy the latest Parallels version, in order to keep using it?

My Parallels version is currently in English, and currently I can only find Spanish versions where I'm located, could this also be an issue?

*EDIT: I don't really use that installation that often and I would prefer not to purchase anything at the moment

Last edited:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I would like to upgrade from Snow Leopard to Yosemite.

The thing is, I have an old Parallels 5 (5.0.9370) installation (NOT Bootcamp) + it's own files/applications.

Can I safely upgrade to Yosemite, and perhaps keep this installation intact?
Then at a later time, perhaps buy the latest Parallels version, in order to keep using it?

My Parallels version is currently in English, and currently I can only find Spanish versions where I'm located, could this also be an issue?

How about purchasing Parallels 10 online? There should be English versions on the official Parallels website.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Well, I don't really use that installation that often and I would prefer not to purchase anything at the moment

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Are you aware that all of the PowerPC applications that you use in Snow Leopard will fail to run natively in Yosemite?

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I doubt that you will get Parallels 5 to work under Yosemite as version 9 required an update for full compatibility with Yosemite. People with version 8 were unable to get it to work. If you really need the Windows programs don't upgrade to Yosemite until you can upgrade Parallels too.

You didn't mention which version of Windows you were running. If it's XP, be aware that no security updates are being made to it unless you have an enterprise license agreement with Microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.