Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
Are there any apps that are a good utility for cleaning up trojans, malware, adware, or browser hijacks? I've come across two clients with Apple computers that have had what appear to be browser hijacks that cause pop ups all over the place when they open whatever browser they were using and I'm looking for an easier way to get rid or it rather than researching each individual case.

With Windows machines, we have several programs we run in a sequence that generally cleans everything up unless it's a serious infection.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
There isn't much out there because malware is still so limited on the Mac. I use AdwareMedic. Unfortunately all the quick removal tools require 10.7 or later.

Also be sure to remove any suspicious extensions or add-ons from their browsers. I also install Ablock Plus add-on to their browsers along with the malware and spam lists.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
VI™;20725416 said:
Are there any apps that are a good utility for cleaning up trojans, malware, adware, or browser hijacks? I've come across two clients with Apple computers that have had what appear to be browser hijacks that cause pop ups all over the place when they open whatever browser they were using and I'm looking for an easier way to get rid or it rather than researching each individual case.
ClamXAV scans for Windows and OS X malware, although the latter is fairly rare. Your symptoms point to adware, not Trojans or other malware.

Adware can be removed by using this tool: AdwareMedic
Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac

For redirects, try changing the DNS servers on Macs and routers to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
ClamXAV scans for Windows and OS X malware, although the latter is fairly rare.

Adware can be removed by using this tool: AdwareMedic
Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac

For redirects, try changing the DNS servers on Macs and routers to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?

I use both of those just in case. I have yet to find anything weird on my Mac But then again, I'm a careful user

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
I like to build a hackintosh with a spare computer laying around to see if I can infect it. I see a lot of the stuff out there that affects OS X has to do with changing the host file.

NDPTAL85

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2007

With Windows machines, we have several programs we run in a sequence that generally cleans everything up unless it's a serious infection.

Avira Antivirus is excellent and free on both Macs and PCs. Make sure you do a full system scan with it and not just a quick scan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.