Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Hello.

Our Mac Mini server died and is being replaced with another (older unit).
Our network admin is unable to find itunes account which has the server app purchase for Mavericks.

He tells me I can install 10.10, purchase 10.10 server app, and download workgroup manager.

I don't expect it to work.

On a side note how can I lock down a client machine so that end user does not remove the profiles?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello.

Our Mac Mini server died and is being replaced with another (older unit).
Our network admin is unable to find itunes account which has the server app purchase for Mavericks.

He tells me I can install 10.10, purchase 10.10 server app, and download workgroup manager.

I don't expect it to work.

On a side note how can I lock down a client machine so that end user does not remove the profiles?
Workgroup Manager works OK in 10.10. It's not supported, and I don't know if there's ramifications; as a result, it's imprudent to rely on it. If you're starting from scratch, move to profiles rather than MCX as Apple has deprecated it. If you don't want your users to make changes to profiles, don't give them admin rights. If you use Apple's Profile Manager, you can set the profiles to require a password to be removed but the trust profile can't be password protected. You'd need to disable access to the Profiles preference pane.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
If you use Apple's Profile Manager, you can set the profiles to require a password to be removed but the trust profile can't be password protected. You'd need to disable access to the Profiles preference pane.

Great.
Profiles will be password protected.
How can I disable access to the Profiles pref pane for non admin users?

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
OK, next

Machine will be part of Microsoft AD.
I need to create OD and import AD objects to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.