Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
my buddys iPhone 6 won't back up automatically because the storage is full. But its not full. It looks like its just trying to create a new backup while keeping the other backup on there instead of overwriting that backup. Anyone else experience this? Should I just delete both backups and start the backup again? Thanks !

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
when you look in his icloud backup under manage, how many devices does it show? the phones backup will say "This iPhone" underneath it.

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
my buddys iPhone 6 won't back up automatically because the storage is full. But its not full.

Sounds like its time to clean out the iPhone's Camera Roll if the backup is getting too large for iCloud. Either that or there are on-board documents associated with apps that are making the backup too big. iCloud can hold the backups of multiple devices, if you keep them lean.

So backup to iTunes if you can (for safekeeping), then do some iPhone clean up, then try an iCloud backup once again.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Each individual phone maintains it's own individual backup on icloud, so if he upgraded from an older phone and restored that backup to his new phone, or if he got a warranty replacement phone at some point and restored an icloud backup to it, then the original backup would remain on icloud and the new phone would create it's own backup.

If he doesn't need the backup from the original phone anymore, then you can go in and delete it as described above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.