Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
Thinner fans work fine. I tried a 120mm Fractal Designs fan in my system but it didn't shift enough air to keep the CPU cool enough for my liking.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Thinner fans work fine. I tried a 120mm Fractal Designs fan in my system but it didn't shift enough air to keep the CPU cool enough for my liking.

Cool. Thanks. I plan on getting 7 60 X 60 X 15 fans, 2 for the front, 2 for the rear 2 for the PSU and one for the ODD side fan.

I may get more precise fan sizes as the Rear can use 70mm Fans (Using one now, I doubt an 80mm fan would work though i have plenty of those around to try 'em) The front CAN fit 60mm fans but it seems easier to install 50mm in the front. I could also fit 50mm in the rear (in front of the rear HDD cage) however i have not tried doing that yet and do not know if it would make a difference.

The side fan on a MDD is rather pointless don't seem to help anything but if one wanted to get a quieter on (which it isn't loud unless running on 12V) it needs to be a 60 x 60 x 10mm fan (Not sure if the 15mm one i will get will allow the door to close)

However all of these fans are low priority. The system doesn't Overheat but runs hotter than I would like. If i run the main 120mm fan on 12V it sounds like a jet engine but DOES eliminate the need for any additional fans at all

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
What's the CFM of the stock fan? Is the MDD fan the same as the DA fan?

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
What's the CFM of the stock fan? Is the MDD fan the same as the DA fan?

no idea but it is STRONG. you run that thing at 12V you could feel it across a medium sized room! The MDD runs at about 80F when the fan is running full bore. Not to mention the thing is SO Loud you if you lived in a 2 bedroom apartment you would hear it thoughout the entire apartment no joke!

----------

Definitely. The stock fan is rated at 108CFM FYI.

I'm not familiar with DA's so I don't know.

is that 108CFM at 12V?

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Definitely. The stock fan is rated at 108CFM FYI. I'm not familiar with DA's so I'm sure.

no idea but it is STRONG. you run that thing at 12V you could feel it across a medium sized room! The MDD runs at about 80F when the fan is running full bore. Not to mention the thing is SO Loud you if you lived in a 2 bedroom apartment you would hear it thoughout the entire apartment no joke!

:eek: wow
Are they sleeve bearing or ball bearing?
I'm interested in replacing the fans in my DA as they are noisy too

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
:eek: wow
Are they sleeve bearing or ball bearing?
I'm interested in replacing the fans in my DA as they are noisy too

I've always preferred ball bearing myself they seem to be higher CFM and better airflow than sleeve but today there are fans with atleast a dozen different types of bearings, assuming the DA uses a 120mm fan ANY kind of 120mm fan should work.

----------

Haha yes it is ;)
what is the dBs?

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
I've always preferred ball bearing myself they seem to be higher CFM and better airflow than sleeve but today there are fans with atleast a dozen different types of bearings, assuming the DA uses a 120mm fan ANY kind of 120mm fan should work.

I mean the stock fans in the G4, are the stock fans sleeve or ball?

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
are there ways to make the fans quieter without replacing them? Oil? Rubber spacers?

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
are there ways to make the fans quieter without replacing them? Oil? Rubber spacers?

Yes. Two of the easiest ways are a PC fan controller OR run the fans at a lower voltage by tapping into the PSU. With apple using 90 degree Molex plugs this is simple. Pop the cap off the plug and place the bare fan wires on the red and black for 5V or red and yellow for 7V, pop the cap back on and you're good to go.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Yes. Two of the easiest ways are a PC fan controller OR run the fans at a lower voltage by tapping into the PSU. With apple using 90 degree Molex plugs this is simple. Pop the cap off the plug and place the bare fan wires on the red and black for 5V or red and yellow for 7V, pop the cap back on and you're good to go.

What voltage do the fans originally run at? Will running the fans slower cause heat problems (with older G4s like 466MHz)?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm using a Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm fan for the case fan. 95CFM

This…the bGears BG01213 (120mm) is the one I use on the bottom 110CFM.
BG17959.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
How loud is the 110CFM running at 12V? also do they have it in red?
Well…It depends on you I guess. For me it's not very loud. I've also replaced the PSU fan with a Bgears b-Blaster 80mm fan which does 62cfm. So, these fans and the HD Cooler fans combined probably are louder than stock, but I wouldn't say by much.
31LSnu7wCcL.jpg

As to if they have the 120mm fan in red, yes, they do. It comes in a few colors I believe. Different model number, though, just looked it up. Here's one from Fry's Electronics…

Last edited:

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
As to if they have the 120mm fan in red, yes, they do. It comes in a few colors I believe. Different model number, though, just looked it up. Here's one from Fry's Electronics…

:D red fan cool
I think red is better because it doesn't hurt your eyes.
There are also green and purple fans and even RGB fans
You can have fans of any color, you can replace the LEDs yourself !
Just look at all these fans :D

Those fans have many small blades vs the typical fan which has fewer but larger blades. What's the pros and cons?

You talk about the more expensive fans, but how does the really cheap ones on ebay compare? Like this one? It is a popular cheap color fan but only 38.4 CFM. Have you ever got any of these? They look cheap. Also there is this one which is about $5 per fan and push 66.2 CFM. How do they compare to the average PC fan in some Dell or HP pc?

Oh I just found out, it seems that fans in-stores like Best buy and Walmart and Fry's are cheaper than buying online! You bought a fan for $4 and I think you said it was good.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.