Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may be building a stand for the Apple Watch at Galeries Lafayette, a high-end department store located on Boulevard Haussmann in Paris, according to a few news outlets based in France. Mac4Ever [Google Translate] reports that the stand would reside on the first floor of the department store, with possible expansion to other stores along the Avenue des Champs-Élysées.

15418_l-apple-watch-sera-t-elle-vendue-aux-galeries-lafayette-du-boulevard-haussmann.jpg
Image of the Galeries Lafayette via Mac4Ever
Mac4Ever claims the current construction on the stand, which began at the beginning of February, is hidden as workers finish it up ahead of the Apple Watch launch in April. They also report that Angela Ahrendts, Apple's new retail chief, oversaw the setting up of the display and general organizational duties concerning the project.

The fashion-focused FashionMag.com [Google Translate] added more details onto the rumor, and a slightly clearer picture of the ongoing construction of the possible Apple-leased space. The site reports that the project has taken the place of a small food court and a few lesser-known jewelry shops, and spans four balconies within the Galeries Lafayette. From what they could tell, it's located near the stores of Celine Saint Laurent and Miu Miu.

39af.jpg
Image of white tarps covering rumored Apple Watch stand via FashionMag.com
As the Apple Watch nears its launch date, news and rumors on Apple's first wearable device have picked up steam. Most recently it was announced to be featured on the March cover of Self magazine on the wrist of model and Victoria's Secret Angel Candice Swanepoel.

Apple has also reportedly placed between 5 and 6 million orders for the initial run of the Watch, with the most expensive gold Apple Watch Edition expected to dominate the revenue of the wearable, despite having the least amount of orders placed compared to the lower tiers of the Watch.

Article Link: Apple Watch Display Rumored to Be Going Up in High-End Parisian Department Store

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
really starting to wonder just what do you get for $349 when most of their ads/marketing appear to be for the rich

i5pro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
NNJ
So Angela is using her Burberry/fashion background to push the Apple Watch..no surprise there. But I'm not a fashionista...How are you going to sell it to me besides hyping it up

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
Yeah, Apple seems to be targeting people with high disposable income since the margins on the gold versions is much higher than the others.

The smart choice would be to get a lower end model and buy the difference in gold bullion...but there are enough millionaires and billionaires around to make Apple quite a fortune.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I don't get why Apple is going for a fashion angle over a tech angle.

Because a watch is considered a fashion item and people spend thousands on them so Apple's trying to get into that market. Plus the tech involved really isn't that great to be honest.

We might even see Apple dominate the watch market too (maybe :rolleyes:) - or at least that's what they'd like

Andy0568

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
I just don't see how people can spend thousands of dollars on the gold Apple watch. Not only will the tech be dated in a year's time, but also from a fashion standpoint it'll be outdated as new models are launched. Luxury timepieces are passed down generation-to-generation...I doubt that's happening with the gold Apple watch

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I think we all know Apple is just building a gigantic model on whom's wrist a large Watch will be placed.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I just don't see how people can spend thousands of dollars on the gold Apple watch. Not only will the tech be dated in a year's time, but also from a fashion standpoint it'll be outdated as new models are launched

Because they can afford it (or are OK with racking up debt). It really is as simple as that. There are luxuries in life that will never be understood by others.

Some people don't blink about a $400 dinner for 2.
some people will spend $400,000 on a boat that gets used 5x a year.
etc...

Don't try to wrap your head around it.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Because they can afford it (or are OK with racking up debt). It really is as simple as that. There are luxuries in life that will never be understood by others.

etc...

Agreed! I know someone making an income about the same as mine and wants a house twice the cost, brand new cars, and spends money on things that I think are pointless. Me? I'd rather stay in a house the size and cost of what I need, have a car that is paid off, and save as much money as possible. I could afford to buy a $2k Apple Watch but I'd rather not because I'd rather retire a bit nicer. HAHA

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
I don't get why Apple is going for a fashion angle over a tech angle.

This watch is fashion first and tech second. Prepare to see pretty faced anorexic females grace fashion magazines. Or guys in expensive suits looking down on us peasants who bulk at the price tag.
This watch is not made for the average Joe. It's for pretty people that like to brag.

kettle

macrumors 65816

etc...

I completely appreciate those points - but an iWatch (yeah, I know, Apple watch) isn't that market.

If Apple were interested in narrower markets like that, I'd still be able to buy a Mac designed for professionals rather than a stretched out marketing opportunity of half-tech, labelled as Pro.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.