Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2005
Well since I'm going to be geting a portable laptop before long and also looking to get the best battery life performance possible. After hearing some of these rummors that the macbook pro has subpar battery life geting results of about 3 hours or so I'm wondering if the regular macbook will have similar numbers in terms of battery life. Not sure what kind of battery life the current 12" ibook offering provides I'm wondering if it would be best to get it over a newer macbook? Of corse I would rather have to macbook if it wasnt for battery life being a huge importance for me because I will be using my new lappy away from power sources for long periods of times.

letterbox

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
mrweirdo said:
Well since I'm going to be geting a portable laptop before long and also looking to get the best battery life performance possible. After hearing some of these rummors that the macbook pro has subpar battery life geting results of about 3 hours or so I'm wondering if the regular macbook will have similar numbers in terms of battery life. Not sure what kind of battery life the current 12" ibook offering provides I'm wondering if it would be best to get it over a newer macbook? Of corse I would rather have to macbook if it wasnt for battery life being a huge importance for me because I will be using my new lappy away from power sources for long periods of times.

well, right now there is no macbook. we don't know what will or won't be in an new/revised ibook. so, without knowing the ingredients, i predict that it will be a delicious cake.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
How can we hypothesise on something we just don't know?

My thoughts on this is that the ibook will be quite conservative in terms of power usage - after all, it has some stiff competition from the likes of Sony (it has an extremely lightweight 7 hour battery life portable) and it's unlike Apple to be the underdog in terms of design!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
After using my MacBook Pro for a couple weeks now, I've noticed that the battery is getting more capacity as time goes on. When I first got it, it said it had a max capacity of 5591 mAh, but would only charge to about 5000 mAh. Over the first few days, and a couple 'calibrations', it started charging to max capacity. Now, it lists a max capacity of 5609 mAh. Yes, 18 mAh isn't much, but the fact that it's going up is a good sign.

On a full charge, I can now squeeze 4 hours of life out of it. Almost as good as my old 12" PowerBook.

So imagine a MacBook with a lower-power processor (I have the 2.0 GHz,) a less power consuming screen, and perhaps a higher capacity (comparatively,) battery. I mean, the 15" PowerBook G4 gets worse battery life than the 14" iBook, so it's very possible to see a smiliar situation with the MacBook Pro and the as-yet-unreleased MacBook. (Which I estimate to be released in 2-3 weeks.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.