Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
Hello all. What I'm hoping to be possible is kind of hard to explain, so bare with me.

I recently (with help of my tax refund) got an iPad Air 2 (Silver, 16GB), and given the 16 GB model is really only 12GB when blank slated it has the tendency to fill up quick with apps/media. Is it possible to stream media to a capable media player app from a network attached USB drive? I have a router that has USB ports onboard, and I got the idea of attaching a USB drive with stuff I watch and listen to on a semi-regular basis. I would then want to be able to access such over WiFi either when at home on my LAN, as well as when away over the internet (WAN). Better yet, if this was to be possible via a simple file-share assigned to any of my drives on the network that'd be great.

I hope that made some sort of sense to someone here,
ShiggyMiyamoto

EDIT: I may have found a solution... playing with it now.

EDIT 2: Yep. I found the app called "FileBrowser" and I set up some Samba shares on my network, and all is well.

EDIT 3: Okay I lied... Is there a music player app that can access the music on my network, and make playlists etc like iTunes on the Mac can? Using FileBrowser I can access my music sure, but it's not ideal.

Last edited:

smitt

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2015
The iPad Apps part of the forum is probably the best place to find your answer. Look for posts by user Menneisyys2 who has thorough reviews of many of the multimedia apps with LAN streaming capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.