Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bse5150

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
I've been racking my brain trying to figure this out but I'm stumped. How can I configure Tiger to use TenFourFox as its default browser?

I want Tiger to launch TenFourFox when I click on a URL in an application. It used to launch Safari but I deleted Safari. Now it launches VLC which does me no good. How can I configure the system to launch TenFourFox?

FOUND THE ANSWER WITH GOOGLE!

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've been racking my brain trying to figure this out but I'm stumped. How can I configure Tiger to use TenFourFox as its default browser?

I want Tiger to launch TenFourFox when I click on a URL in an application. It used to launch Safari but I deleted Safari. Now it launches VLC which does me no good. How can I configure the system to launch TenFourFox?

Any help is appreciated.
Apple wants you to use Safari and nothing else, so they hide this on you - in plain sight I might add.

Setting the default is in Safari Preferences. Right there at the top. You'll need to install Safari again to set it.

Attachments

• General.png
    General.png
    103 KB · Views: 110

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Apple wants you to use Safari and nothing else, so they hide this on you - in plain sight I might add.

Setting the default is in Safari Preferences. Right there at the top. You'll need to install Safari again to set it.

Now in Yosemite it is System Preferences surprisingly!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Now in Yosemite it is System Preferences surprisingly!
Yeah, there's a bunch of crap in there now that doesn't belong there! :mad:

Just try getting rid of a Firefox extension without knowing that some of them reside in System Preferences now!

That drove me nutty at one point until I figured it out. Apple is really a PITA some times.

bse5150

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014

Looks like I found the answer at the same time you posted the info I was looking for. Thanks.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Just try getting rid of a Firefox extension without knowing that some of them reside in System Preferences now!

That drove me nutty at one point until I figured it out. Apple is really a PITA some times.

What do you mean?
And what does PITA mean? It just means a flat bread as far as i know.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island

Why not just set Tenfoufox as the default browser from within its own preferences, and to hell with Safari?
Or maybe this preference does not show in Tiger.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Why not just set Tenfoufox as the default browser from within its own preferences, and to hell with Safari?
Or maybe this preference does not show in Tiger.
You could do that. I just suggested it using Safari because it's much "easier" to find then trying to find where this option is in each separate browser.

I've switched the default browser multiple times in one go when trying to make things work on my Macs and crawling around inside each one's preferences to set this can get frustrating.

But yes, your way works just as well.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I have exactly Two broswers on my Mac, TenFourFox and the PPC Port of Seamonkey (which I have yet to even use). I have gained so accustomed to TFF that on my Linux Laptop I still use Firefox (The fact the screen dies and the computer crashes trying to use Google Chrome is beside the point). Firefox has always offered me what I want in a browser. I have used Firefox since Version 1. I stopped using it in Version 2 in favor for other browsers and came back to Firefox with Version 10 when I installed in on my Macs. I would use Chrome if they ever made a PowerPC version.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If it were not for the fact that Opera stopped development of the browser around 10.62 or so I'd still be on Opera.

If I didn't use Facebook, I'd probably still be on Opera. I much prefer Opera's (or at least Opera 10's) interface over anything else. Portions of my workflow in T4Fx are highly reminiscent of Opera (CMD+Space to go Home for instance).

But I had to abandon Opera because there is no way to modify the User Agent to any reasonably current browser string. That breaks a lot of the functionality on Facebook.

I might still be on Flock too, the browser I took to once Opera stopped meeting my needs. But Flock died and now it's very, very old Mozilla code coupled together with browser features that no longer work because the APIs for them died too.

T4Fx offers me the closest I can get to Opera 10 with modern features and addons. As much as I really loved that browser I just had to move on.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
If it were not for the fact that Opera stopped development of the browser around 10.62 or so I'd still be on Opera.

If I didn't use Facebook, I'd probably still be on Opera. I much prefer Opera's (or at least Opera 10's) interface over anything else. Portions of my workflow in T4Fx are highly reminiscent of Opera (CMD+Space to go Home for instance).

But I had to abandon Opera because there is no way to modify the User Agent to any reasonably current browser string. That breaks a lot of the functionality on Facebook.

I might still be on Flock too, the browser I took to once Opera stopped meeting my needs. But Flock died and now it's very, very old Mozilla code coupled together with browser features that no longer work because the APIs for them died too.

T4Fx offers me the closest I can get to Opera 10 with modern features and addons. As much as I really loved that browser I just had to move on.

I used Opera before in the past. Although, I never used it on MY Macs i did install it on the eMacs in HS just for the hell of it. I have used Opera in Windows before I even used it over firefox (hence why i stopped using Firefox in version 2 and used it occasionally during versions 3 and 4) I at one point liked Flock too. Main reason I use TFF is it is cross-platform. I can take my profile and transfer it to my Linux and Windows Machines, cannot do that with Leopard WebKit (which I find no better nor faster than plain old Safari before the install of WebKit).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.