Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Hi there,
Every time I launch Safari I have to drag the window over to my 2nd display, because I need my MBP display for other work.
Is there an app that would make my Safari window always open on my 2nd display (unless I'm out of my office with my MBP, in which case I don't use a 2nd display)?
I see all sorts of Window Managing apps out there, but it seems to me they do quite different things.
Thanks for any advice,
malch

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Hi there,
Every time I launch Safari I have to drag the window over to my 2nd display, because I need my MBP display for other work.
Is there an app that would make my Safari window always open on my 2nd display (unless I'm out of my office with my MBP, in which case I don't use a 2nd display)?
I see all sorts of Window Managing apps out there, but it seems to me they do quite different things.
Thanks for any advice,
malch

I'm assuming you're using Yosemite, as things are a bit different on older versions of OS X...

You shouldn't need an additional app. On the display upon which Safari is located, right-click (or CTRL-click) on the Safari icon in the Dock. Select Options > Assign To: All Desktops/This Desktop/None. If you are viewing Desktop 1, and Safari is currently on Desktop 2, "Desktop 2" will also appear as an option.

Note that Safari won't automatically show up on your primary desktop when you aren't connected to the second display - you'll have to switch to that second desktop via Mission Control http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204100

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Thank you so much, Apfel—this will help save me valuable seconds MANY times a day, so I really appreciate it. Plus I like not having to buy an extra app.
Regards,
malch

----------

Hmmm. When I right click on the Safari icon in the Apple dock, I get these Options only:

Keep in Dock
Open at Login
Show in Finder

I am indeed using Yosemite. So I must be missing a step somewhere!
malch

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes
You haven't read the link that ApfelKuchen provided about Mission Control. That's your primary app that allows you to easily distribute apps and windows on the screens that you want to use - including virtual screens.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
The OP clearly said second display, not second desktop.

Normally apps will remember their position on Quit, but in this case it sounds like your MBP might be assuming you want your main screen if you ever opened Safari while away from the second display.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
The OP clearly said second display, not second desktop.

Normally apps will remember their position on Quit, but in this case it sounds like your MBP might be assuming you want your main screen if you ever opened Safari while away from the second display.

I am getting the same thing. Safari always opens on my rMBP screen rather than my larger external display. Many other apps remember which screen they were last used on. I am currently using Mavericks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.