Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cltd

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2014
My white iMac runs on its last legs, so I decided to buy newest iMac 27" (non retina, base model).
There were many threads about how great fusion drive and SSD are.
But I have question - is anyone here happy with base 7200 drive in iMac 27?

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
My white iMac runs on its last legs, so I decided to buy newest iMac 27" (non retina, base model).
And after seeing so many threads, you're still going to ask? If you go looking for the answer you want to find, you will eventually find it no matter what. If you're just looking for confirmation from others to rationalize getting the base iMac, why waste everyone's time... just get what you want based on what you want to spend. And be happy! :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have a late 13 iMac with a 7200rpm drive. I'm happy with it. Sure I wish it was a 1tb SSD, but for my usage I rarely notice the difference between it and the machine I use at work with a 256ssd. Boot up is obviously slower and loading the very few games I have. Both things are rarely done. The difference in other application is noticeable but not to the level that I'm dissatisfied. For example if Safari takes 1 1/2 - 2 seconds to open I'm not that concerned with it.

Next iMac will have a 3tb Fusion. Or a 3tb SSD if Apple offers it and its affordable (unlikely on both counts). I still prefer space over speed at this point.

----------

Forgot to mention.

Like I said I'm satisfied with my iMac with HDD if I was buying a new one with my money I'd go for the Fusion or SSD.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I have a 7200 on my iMac late 2013. I now have a 512 gb external ssd as my boot drive thru my tb port. Happy.

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013

I have used an iMac 27 with base 7200 drive. It is OK and you can get usable work done but the Fusion Drive is a huge upgrade. I personally would not get a machine with the non-Fusion 7200 HDD. You can find iMac 27s with Fusion Drive at the Apple certified refurbished site: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/27

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

My 2010 27" iMac still has a 7200 RPM HDD, and for someone like me who is used to SSD it is noticeably several times slower logging in and opening apps. I can't recommend an HDD for any new iMac, Fusion drive would be the minimum and pure SSD would be the best.

:apple: should make the imac come than ssd by default.

Agreed. When the retina models eventually take over, I'm sure the minimum for those will stay a 1 TB Fusion drive.

cltd

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Thank You for all answers! I asked because I decided to buy base 27 model, but still have small money margin to get extended 3 TB HDD or fusion drive.

ixxx69, really? This simple question wasted your time so much?

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
:apple: should make the imac come than ssd by default.

I made a post about the same thing today. MBA, MBP and MP are SSD/flash only systems, but iMac and mac mini are not. Apple should be ashamed to put 5400 or 7200 rpm drives in those otherwise very nice systems in this day and age. This is especially depressing when checking the prices of some decent quality SSDs - 512GB can be had for under $200 while 1 TB starts under $400 on amazon.com. They better get their act together and when the refresh time comes this year they offer pure flash iMac's

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Thank You for all answers! I asked because I decided to buy base 27 model, but still have small money margin to get extended 3 TB HDD or fusion drive.

ixxx69, really? This simple question wasted your time so much?
Sorry you took it that way - I guess I can see why, but I was offering some friendly advice. :)

Maybe next time start with your actual question, which is whether you should spend your extra money on an extended 3TB HDD or a Fusion drive. Then we could have at least had a discussion based on your needs and budget, rather than the rehash we have here that added nothing new to the dozens of other similar threads. ;)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
There's a reason why the Fusion Drive is now default on the retina iMacs.

The HDD is the reason why a Mac is slow.

Optimization (or lack there of) and bugs are why Macs are slow. ML, Mavericks, and Yosemites are completely fine on my iMac at home (HDD). On my 5k with SSD at work is where I notice all the UI lag. Drives me nuts to disable graphic detail in a brand new machine so its as smooth as an older potentially slower machine (m290 btw).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

There are three basic upgrades for $120 to $160: 3TB hard drive, 1TB Fusion, 256GB SSD.

256GB SSD is fastest but useless if you need more than 256GB.
1TB Fusion is significantly faster than non-fusion.
3TB is faster if your drive gets full, and infinitely faster if you ever need more than 1TB.

Your choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.