Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheLion01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2015
The Netherlands
Hi,

I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina-display 13-inch, that came with OS X Mavericks pre-installed.
I upgraded to Yosemite when it came out.

I have only 4GB RAM and somethimes when I have a lot programs open, I have to close programs because of the RAM. My question is: Do Mavericks handle RAM better than Yosemite? And is it worth it to downgrade to Mavericks?

TheLion01

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
sometimes when I have a lot programs open, I have to close programs because of the RAM.

Yosemite should run fine with 4GB. What problem symptoms does your Mac have that makes you think you have to close programs?

TheLion01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2015
The Netherlands
My Mac runs slower when I have a lot of programs open. It isn't a big problem but I just want to get the most out of my hardware. I read on the internet that Mavericks runs beter than Yosemite on machines with 4GB RAM.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
My Mac runs slower when I have a lot of programs open. It isn't a big problem but I just want to get the most out of my hardware. I read on the internet that Mavericks runs beter than Yosemite on machines with 4GB RAM.

Your perceived slowness may not be due to RAM. It could be because you're asking the machine to do a lot at once. If you really do thinknits RAM related, why not add some RAM for $50 and see what happens? It the OS is paging to disk, a slow drive could also by the culprit. Adding an SSD makes a night and day difference.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Just go into internet recovery.

Link - http://osxdaily.com/2014/12/14/reinstall-os-x-mac-internet-recovery/

----------

Your perceived slowness may not be due to RAM. It could be because you're asking the machine to do a lot at once. If you really do thinknits RAM related, why not add some RAM for $50 and see what happens? It the OS is paging to disk, a slow drive could also by the culprit. Adding an SSD makes a night and day difference.

He has a Retina MBP which already has one of the fastest SSDs available right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.