Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

carplay_touch-250x250.jpg
While Toyota has long been listed as one of Apple's CarPlay partners, the third best-selling auto brand in the U.S. currently has no plans to offer vehicles with the feature in that country, as noted in a New York Times overview of the race between Google and Apple to own the dashboard. Toyota also has no plans to offer Android Auto support in the U.S.
John Hanson, the national manager of Toyota's advanced technology communications, said while the company talked frequently with both Google and Apple, it currently had no plans to adopt Android Auto or CarPlay in the United States.

"We may all eventually wind up there, but right now we prefer to use our in-house proprietary platforms for those kinds of functions," Mr. Hanson said.
While Toyota is ruling out the U.S. market for CarPlay support for the time being, the company has not made any firm announcement about support in other countries. Shortly after Apple's CarPlay announcement, Toyota's UK division briefly posted a blog entry claiming CarPlay would be coming in 2015, but the company quickly backtracked on the claim.

Today's report from The New York Times focuses more on Android Auto than on CarPlay, likely due in large part to Apple refusal to comment for the piece. Still, it offers a glimpse of the struggles auto manufacturers have had developing in-car systems and their reluctance to turn that experience over to Apple and Google.

With consumer preference driving the market, however, many manufacturers now see little choice but to support both CarPlay and Android Auto. Vehicles supporting both systems are expected to be hitting showrooms in the near future, with Hyundai likely one of the first out of the gate.

Article Link: Toyota Currently Has No Plans to Support CarPlay or Android Auto in U.S.

hattonna928

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014
When will car companies realize that they can't make this kind of stuff... The interfaces for these systems are all terrible. It doesn't matter what brand it is either: Honda, Ford, Toyota, Chevrolet, etc. None of them make good "infotainment" systems. Clunky and difficult to use is an understatement. They make cars. They need to give up and let Apple and Google do the software...

Greenstein

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
HUGE disappointment for those of us in the United States that are a fan of Toyota vehicles. While I'm not likely to get a new car for another 2-4 years, I sincerely hope they've changed their mind by then. If not, I might have to look to a different vehicle brand.

I'm the type of person that holds onto their car for 10 years (if possible), so when I do make the move for my next vehicle (was hoping it would be Toyota again), I'll have to do a full evaluation.

Carplay isn't everything and who knows, maybe it'll be something completely different than what it is today, but these are my current thoughts based on this news today.

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
This reminds me of Verizon not going along with the whole iPhone thing in early 2007 and letting AT&T have that luxury until 2011. Not sure that was the best idea...

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
"we prefer to use our in-house proprietary platforms"

Clearly not thinking about what the consumer wants.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I never expected this from Toyota, but I guess they see it as a way of differentiating themselves. Too bad that will drive potential customers to other brands. I just can't see how their proprietary system could be better in any way.

----------

Fortunately, I've never had the urge to buy a car from that company.

Toyotas are quality machines.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
This is reason why Apple should make thier own car.

Like Intel story. Don't support then we will make our own chips.

Map. Don't support then we will make our own map.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I wonder if Honda or Nissan will hijack that opportunity, mostly probably Honda and Koreans like Hyundai. On the other hand, thats not a big deal because recent Pioneer and Alpine aftermarket headunits support CarPlay. You can install Pioneer with CarPlay even in older car (I am thinking about my Highlander)

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
Stupid on their part. They make stupid info/tainment systems that could never compete with google or apple. Why waste the resources on crap that is inferior.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wow, that's huge! Toyota is VERY VERY popular in the states! Damn, Apple...

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I never expected this from Toyota, but I guess they see it as a way of differentiating themselves. Too bad that will drive potential customers to other brands. I just can't see how their proprietary system could be better in any way.

----------

Toyotas are quality machines.

I love my Toyota, but man their interface is unintuitive and ugly.

I have a feeling Toyota will change their tune, the market will speak.

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
When will car companies realize that they can't make this kind of stuff... The interfaces for these systems are all terrible. It doesn't matter what brand it is either: Honda, Ford, Toyota, Chevrolet, etc. None of them make good "infotainment" systems. Clunky and difficult to use is an understatement. They make cars. They need to give up and let Apple and Google do the software...

And when will everyone else realize touch screens and infotainment screens in general are dangerous in cars.

Snoozin

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2015
It's understandable why Toyota would decline, but customers will demand it and they will inevitably include it.

Last edited:

Michael07

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Just last week I replaced my Toyota Prius C radio with the Pioneer AVH-4000NEX as the entune software is horrible. $900 later, I'm extremely satisfied and frustrated Toyota thinks their software is good.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
... the third best-selling auto brand in the U.S. currently has no plans to offer vehicles with the feature in that country ...

BMW probably won't be supporting CarPlay or Android Auto any time soon either.
They're dug in way too deep with their own iDrive interface and ConnectedDrive technology.
And there will a revamped iDrive interface starting with the next-gen 7 Series.

But whatever. Siri works fine with iDrive + ConnectedDrive for phone / text / nav.
The last thing I want to do is reach over to a touchscreen and try to tap little icons while I'm driving.

AudiA4

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
Little Rock, AR
Toyota...as if they needed yet another layer of "lame" to pile on their product lineup.

Reliable they may be, but there's more passion and desire to be found in a bag of peanuts.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
It understandable why Toyota would decline, but customers will demand it and they will inevitably include it.

Unfortunately customer demand isn't that dedicated nor coercive. Customer's will complain for all of a second (or not at all) and then buy the car anyway and they clearly know this. I think it is safe to assume Toyota isn't supporting this because no other car companies are either. It is clear they have had their back room meeting on this.

What car company is releasing a car with Car Play in it this year? How many of their cars will have it as an option?

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
They already weren't on my list. I'm likely going to end up buying a Mazda3 on the low end and an Audi A3 on the high end. Both great cars that have a big question mark when it comes to CarPlay support, but ultimately that likely just determines whether I pay them for whatever tech package would support it. I want CarPlay in my next car, but I can always just get an aftermarket head unit if it'll fit (definitely not the Audi :p).

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Uh oh. Not good for Lexus. I'm loving my CT-H and have had several IS's over the past few years. The iPod interface and GPS UI is serviceable but could use a CarPlay makeover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.