Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
$_57.JPG

The Cap in question is on the top left (in picture) the the 2nd cap up from the ATA100 IDE connector and above the cap next to that little heatsink.

This cap fell off my logic board several months ago. I realized today that this location is where that cap goes. What does it do? Could it be the cause of no DVI Video? Could it be the reason my AirPort Extreme Died? Should I reattach it?

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
could do anything

A cap that falls off could do anything. I would think the video card caps and thermal paste would be more suspect but a missing cap on a motherboard could cause any number of conditions.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014

The Cap in question is on the top left (in picture) the the 2nd cap up from the ATA100 IDE connector and above the cap next to that little heatsink.

This cap fell off my logic board several months ago. I realized today that this location is where that cap goes. What does it do? Could it be the cause of no DVI Video? Could it be the reason my AirPort Extreme Died? Should I reattach it?

This one?

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 78

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
It's probably a decoupling capacitor to smooth out any voltage transients. I doubt it's the reason for the problems you mentioned, but it's not very difficult to replace it. I've accidentally knocked capacitors off PC motherboards and they've been fine.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
So those metal cylinders are capacitors? I've seen them many times on USB things but didn't know what they were.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.