Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I think I may have a problem with my iBook battery! When I first got it, it was at 100%, it dropped to 99%, then 95% and now it is at 93% (it went from 95% to 93% today when I left my iBook battery to completely drain and go into sleep mode).

Is this normal? Will the capacitance increase? I have included a screen shot from Coconut battery.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
could be a bad battery. take it into apple and show them. your mac is still under warrenty, so no issues there.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
all batteries go down after a while, but not that fast. consult apple about a replacement or repair

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
FearFactor47, I'm assuming that you have already tried calibrating your battery? If so, and it still isn't performing well, maybe consider bringing it in to Apple.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
The thing is - I live in Scotland and there are no Apple shops. I have not had the computer for 4 months either, I got it on January 3rd 2006, which is just over 2 months ago.

What should I do? Phone Apple up?

I calibrated the battery when I got it, and also yesterday (i.e. letting the computer go into sleep mode then charge it back up? Can you have the computer on when you charge it back up?)

I am just off the phone to Apple (on for 25 minutes). They are sending me a brand new battery, which I am really pleased about!

:)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
FearFactor47 said:
They are sending me a brand new battery...
That's awesome. Glad things worked out for you. (And yes, that's how you calibrate the battery, and yes, it's all right to use the computer while it is charging.)

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I bought my iBook in July and it had about 90% when I bought it. It's at 85% now. I never thought anything of it, but my capacity was already 10% down when it was new. Is it too late to get it replaced by Apple? It's almost a year old now.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I honestly don't know. I think the reason I got one was because it was really new (only 2 months). You could perhaps make a case with them if it's still under a year (you don't get new batteries after 1 year - even with Applecare).

It is worth a shot.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
FearFactor47 said:
I honestly don't know. I think the reason I got one was because it was really new (only 2 months). You could perhaps make a case with them if it's still under a year (you don't get new batteries after 1 year - even with Applecare).

It is worth a shot.

Thanks, I will call them today when I get home from school.

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
How to Check for Free Replacement Battery

Per my own experience with a bad battery:

Go to Apple's home page, scroll to bottom line, click on "Important Safety Recall" (of battery), READ the info, then just follow the instructions to see if your battery qualifies. Somehow, I'd missed the news about the recall and as it turned out, my 9-month old battery was splat in the lemon range. (You'll need serial numbers, etc., for your battery so pull it out and jot down the essentials before you begin to complete the forms.)

https://depot.info.apple.com/batteryexchange/index.html?lang=en

My new battery arrived, all shiny and new, within 2 business days. Hurrah! ;)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
GITANAJAVA said:
Per my own experience with a bad battery:

Go to Apple's home page, scroll to bottom line, click on "Important Safety Recall" (of battery), READ the info, then just follow the instructions to see if your battery qualifies. Somehow, I'd missed the news about the recall and as it turned out, my 9-month old battery was splat in the lemon range. (You'll need serial numbers, etc., for your battery so pull it out and jot down the essentials before you begin to complete the forms.)

My new battery arrived, all shiny and new, within 2 business days. Hurrah! ;)

I got stuck on the "send request" page, clicked it three times and it finally went through. Apple sent me three batteries and no return shipping charge or any other information. I rang them and told them all about it, said someone had received 7 batteries in one delivery and that it was quite common. So far still no shipping and it's been about 2 months - I have two good batteries and one recalled battery just sitting in their boxes on my desk in the bedroom.

I figure if they don't want them back I'm not going to put myself out to send them back - they're pretty heavy and I'm not springing for the shipping. They have my details, come and get 'em.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Chundles said:
So far still no shipping and it's been about 2 months - I have two good batteries and one recalled battery just sitting in their boxes on my desk in the bedroom.

I figure if they don't want them back I'm not going to put myself out to send them back - they're pretty heavy and I'm not springing for the shipping.
:eek: I'll spring for shipping! You can send one my way. :D

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
Chundles said:
I got stuck on the "send request" page, clicked it three times and it finally went through. Apple sent me three batteries and no return shipping charge or any other information. I rang them and told them all about it, said someone had received 7 batteries in one delivery and that it was quite common. So far still no shipping and it's been about 2 months - I have two good batteries and one recalled battery just sitting in their boxes on my desk in the bedroom.

I figure if they don't want them back I'm not going to put myself out to send them back - they're pretty heavy and I'm not springing for the shipping. They have my details, come and get 'em.

Mo' batteries, mo' better! Maybe different shipping origins have different standards for returns -- mine arrived with a label, packing material, and of course the box, all with a sheet of instructions for returning the bad battery. *IF* you wanted to return the extra batteries and you'd received the same "return kit" I did, it would be a simple, no-cost way to return the extras. ;-)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
GITANAJAVA said:
Mo' batteries, mo' better! Maybe different shipping origins have different standards for returns -- mine arrived with a label, packing material, and of course the box, all with a sheet of instructions for returning the bad battery. *IF* you wanted to return the extra batteries and you'd received the same "return kit" I did, it would be a simple, no-cost way to return the extras. ;-)

That's what they said they'd send to me but all I got was three packing boxes. No labels, no instructions. Stuff em, they can have them back if they want them but so far, no correspondence.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
FearFactor47 said:
Does it come without a box? Or is it the fully boxed version that you would buy from the Apple store?

i got a battery replaced and it was in a simple cardboard box. No flash apple packaging or anything.....it doesnt really matter though...its only a battery after all.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I receive the battery yesterday. I calibrated it and its capacity has went from 4400mAh to 4259mAh (96%). Do you think this is ok (losing 141 mAh?).

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
Shamus said:
i got a battery replaced and it was in a simple cardboard box. No flash apple packaging or anything.....it doesnt really matter though...its only a battery after all.

So it goes sometimes. The old battery could become a conversation-starting paperweight, I suppose. We could start a new thread, "Uses for dead Mac batteries."

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.