Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I have a PDF file with around 200 pages, of which only around 20 are interesting for me. I'd like to "filter them out" so I can send those 20 pages in PDF format to other people. How do I do that with Preview on Mavericks, without any 3rd party apps? :)

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a PDF file with around 200 pages, of which only around 20 are interesting for me. I'd like to "filter them out" so I can send those 20 pages in PDF format to other people. How do I do that with Preview on Mavericks, without any 3rd party apps? :)

Thanks
Open the PDF in Preview, then click View > Thumbnails. Delete the pages you don't want from the Thumbnail list, then File > Print > PDF > Save as PDF.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks, but I can't delete any pages it seems. I've searching for a solution but couldn't find one. It's different for every user apparently, even if they have the same system. Weird Apple.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks, but I can't delete any pages it seems. I've searching for a solution but couldn't find one. It's different for every user apparently, even if they have the same system. Weird Apple.
What happens when you click on a thumbnail and press the Delete key on your keyboard? The functionality works on all Macs and all versions of OS X. If it's not working for you, it may relate to the PDF you're using or a specific problem with your system.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK

You can delete pages in a pdf using preview, providing the PDF is not protected. I do this all the time and it works fine. What happens if you try to delete a page ?

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Nothing happens if I hit the delete key, and the delete option is greyed out in the Edit menu. I tried it with many different PDFs and it doesn't work, but I only just found one on which it does work. It happens to be a PDF I've created myself. The other ones are articles I've downloaded from the internet. But they are not protected. I've tried to copy or duplicate them already, but the problem persisted. Okay I just tried to export the existing PDF (from the internet) to another PDF (I'm not sure how this works because I think when you export or save as, it only does that for the selected page of the PDF) but then I noticed that it IS a protected document: it asked me a password in order to save the document somewhere else… that's weird because in the Information window of that file, it isn't marked as protected.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
but then I noticed that it IS a protected document: it asked me a password in order to save the document somewhere else… that's weird because in the Information window of that file, it isn't marked as protected.
You can remove protection from PDFs by opening them with Chrome, then saving.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks, but is there no solution without installing any apps? If not I guess I'll have to try that.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks, but is there no solution without installing any apps? If not I guess I'll have to try that.
For your original question... creating a PDF with selected pages from another PDF.... you can do that with Preview. For the 2nd issue... removing protection from a PDF... there is no bundled OS X app that will accomplish that.

jorgk

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
... removing protection from a PDF... there is no bundled OS X app that will accomplish that.

Hm - the 'no' may not be that universal: From one bank-account I get this awful wasteful-to-paper statement as pdf.

If I try Acrobat, Preview, or Illustrator to do anything on it, like deleting useless pages, I can't. In Acrobat it indeed appears as protected.

However, if I open the pdf with Preview, then use Save as ... (option-click when pressing File in the Menu) to a new file, that file I can work on; mostly then I use Illustrator to move the interesting parts onto a single page together.

This will not work universally though for all protected pdfs. I guess it depends on what kind of protection was placed in the original pdf (in Acrobat there's plenty of choices when you protect a pdf).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.