Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of iOS 8.3 to developers, two weeks after seeding the first iOS 8.3 beta. The initial iOS 8.3 beta came as a surprise because iOS 8.2 with the WatchKit SDK also remains in testing.

The beta is available through the iOS Developer Center. It includes Xcode 6.3 and a new version of Apple's programming language, Swift. Apple has also released a new Apple TV beta for third-generation Apple TVs.

ios_8_3_beta_2-800x210.jpg
While iOS 8.2 appears to bring only minor bug fixes to the operating system along with the WatchKit SDK and support for the Apple Watch, the first beta of iOS 8.3 introduced several new features including support for wireless CarPlay connectivity, a new emoji picker, support for Google 2-step verification, and Apple Pay support for the China UnionPay network. It also removes the "beta" label from iCloud Photo Library.

iOS 8.3 will be released following iOS 8.2, which is expected in March, so it may be a few months yet before we see a public iOS 8.3 launch.

What's new in iOS 8.3 beta 2:

Release notes - According to iOS 8.3 release notes, the new beta is not compatible with LTE Voice on Verizon. Apple asks that customers using Verizon set LTE to data only. There's also been a fix to the dialog that appears when an iPhone is connected to a CarPlay-compatible car.

Emoji - iOS 8.3 beta 2 introduces all new diversified emoji and skin tone modifiers. There are also new country flags and updated emoji for the iPhone, iMac, and Apple Watch.

Siri - Siri has gained support for several new languages, including Danish, Dutch, English (India), English (New Zealand), Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Swedish, Thai, and Turkish.

Crash reporting - The new Xcode 6.3 beta 2 update includes a crash log reports service that collects and aggregates crash log data into crash reports that will be available in Xcode.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second iOS 8.3 Beta to Developers

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
I don't see the OTA update yet (in the eastern US), but am looking forward to updating. I only have the beta installed on one of my iPhones and it (Verizon iPhone 6) has had poor reception nearly everywhere since I installed iOS 8.3.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Please tell me they fixed some BLE 4.0 bugs. I keep having to revert back to 8.2 because of pairing / connection issues with particular BLE devices on the iPhone 6 with the betas.

dlucks

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2007
I don't see the OTA update yet (in the eastern US), but am looking forward to updating. I only have the beta installed on one of my iPhones and it (Verizon iPhone 6) has had poor reception nearly everywhere since I installed iOS 8.3.

Ditto to this! T-Mobile 6 Plus here and have had to reboot at least once a day to get the existing cellular or wifi connections to actually function. Here's to hoping at least THAT got some attention.

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana

Shoot, ever since they pushed the radio/carrier update when 8.1.3 dropped, I have been having terrible signal strength and speeds. I'm already in a fringe area inside my house and now the newest carrier update has made it much worse.

This is on a jailbroken 8.1.2 6+ with an Otterbox Commuter case. Not sure if any of that makes a difference.

ETA: Also noticed I drop down to 3G instead of holding LTE much more often now.

oatman13

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2013
Since there wasn't an 8.2 release does that mean it's dropping tomorrow or next week?

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
In case anyone is wondering:

Known issues section:

LTE Voice
Known Issue

LTE Voice does not work properly with Verizon.

Workaround: If you are using Verizon, please set LTE to Data Only for this seed.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
iPhone "bricked"

iPhone stuck at "updating firmware"

EDIT: It's fine. Just took longer than usual.

Last edited:

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
I'm wondering at which time they'll release the iPhone Fitness app, the companion app for the Activity app on the Apple Watch. Since it belongs to Apple Watch it should be part of iOS 8.2 but there aren't any hints about it or am I missing something? Neither in the iOS 8.2 betas nor in the iOS 8.3 betas.
Perhaps it will be released in the App Store but for me that wouldn't make sense since Health and Fitness are a big part of Apple Watch.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
No longer "Enter Password" on Touch ID prompts

There is no longer a "Enter Password" button on Touch ID prompts

IMG_3864.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.