Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 8.48.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 8.48.28 PM.png
    337.2 KB · Views: 116
  • $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 88

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Sad, I see no dual core G5's and not one 2 slot video card.

A couple of them are missing the graphics card completely and are also missing the slot cover over the AGP slot. If I had to guess, those may have had 6800 Ultras(were there any other double height video cards for the G5?) that were removed and sold separately.

If $40 is the bulk price for G5s, you can't blame them for pulling a handful of $50 graphics cards out of them.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Just imagine the XGrid possibilities. Mind blowing.

Sadly, a few last-gen quad-core Mac minis would beat the whole stack, and for a lot less energy.

They all appear at initial glance to be first-generation Power Mac G5s, which means, at best, they're dual 2 GHz. It would only take about a dozen Mac Minis to meet the performance. (And that's assuming they're all dual 2 GHz machines.) Geekbench rates the 2 GHz G5 (dual CPU) at about 1800-2000. The last-gen quad-core Mac mini at about 13000.

A dozen last-gen Mac minis would run you noticeably more money, of course. But they would pay off in power savings in VERY short order.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Sadly, a few last-gen quad-core Mac minis would beat the whole stack, and for a lot less energy.

They all appear at initial glance to be first-generation Power Mac G5s, which means, at best, they're dual 2 GHz. It would only take about a dozen Mac Minis to meet the performance. (And that's assuming they're all dual 2 GHz machines.) Geekbench rates the 2 GHz G5 (dual CPU) at about 1800-2000. The last-gen quad-core Mac mini at about 13000.

A dozen last-gen Mac minis would run you noticeably more money, of course. But they would pay off in power savings in VERY short order.

Yeah, it's amazing how much better newer technology is.

Just think, one small desktop optical computer would be so many times more powerful than today's world's most powerful supercomputer array which spans an entire building.

Soon we will be wearing optical computers.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
My Raspberry Pi can stream internet TV in 720HD without skipping a beat, pegging the cpu or heating up noticeably and that on a piddly USB charger. I don't think my last generation G5 even with the beefed up card it has can do that without struggling.

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
Comparing your Pi from 2012 to the G5 from 2003 is pretty unfair..

Its like comparing the performance of your G5, to a Quadra 800.

9 years of processor evolution makes a hell of a difference.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
let me just grab some money off my money tree and buy the lot, then donate them to the members of this forum. Now everyone can be happy, and ill be poor. It's a fair price, but who is going to spend $2000 on broken G5s???

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
let me just grab some money off my money tree and buy the lot, then donate them to the members of this forum. Now everyone can be happy, and ill be poor.

Would you? I so despise my original DP G5.

It's a fair price, but who is going to spend $2000 on broken G5s???

Like the OP mentioned someone could part them and sell the parts, or put together some working machines and sell off the remainder as parts.

If it were me I'd be getting a refurb baseline nMP for that price ;)

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
let me just grab some money off my money tree and buy the lot, then donate them to the members of this forum. Now everyone can be happy, and ill be poor. It's a fair price, but who is going to spend $2000 on broken G5s???

I would if I could.

$40 each and you get all those parts!!!

----------

My Raspberry Pi can stream internet TV in 720HD without skipping a beat, pegging the cpu or heating up noticeably and that on a piddly USB charger. I don't think my last generation G5 even with the beefed up card it has can do that without struggling.

How does a Raspberry Pi compare to a 466mhz Powermac G4 or something like that in processing power? The PI has an ARMv6 clocked at 700MHz.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Comparing your Pi from 2012 to the G5 from 2003 is pretty unfair..

Its like comparing the performance of your G5, to a Quadra 800.

9 years of processor evolution makes a hell of a difference.

Yeah. That was kinda my point, except my Pi is from 2015 and my G5 from 2005.

How does a Raspberry Pi compare to a 466mhz Powermac G4 or something like that in processing power? The PI has an ARMv6 clocked at 700MHz.

It doesn't really, since we are talking different architectures. The clock cycles don't really mean anything except to gauge increments from lower or higher clocked chips from the same architecture. The RPi2 has a quad-core ARMv7 clocked at 900MHz for what it is worth.

It runs Kodi super smoothly except the menus slow down when a stream is playing but very usably even then. It cannot run Microsoft Office for toffee.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
They would be a good start on recreating Virginia Tech's System X...

AH remember that. Shortly after the G5's came out that video on Apple's website of the PowerMac G5 supercomputer.

Then shortly thereafter they replaced the G5's with Xserves if I remember correctly.

I wonder if there are any apple supercomputers out there these days.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

The big difference is that the Pi has a dedicated H.264 decoder ASIC. People have added those to the first gen AppleTV, too, allowing it to smoothly decode 1080.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
AH remember that. Shortly after the G5's came out that video on Apple's website of the PowerMac G5 supercomputer.

Then shortly thereafter they replaced the G5's with Xserves if I remember correctly.

I wonder if there are any apple supercomputers out there these days.

I think that the G5 towers only lasted a year or so before the Xserves came in.

I don't know about current Apple supercomputers-in all honesty, with both the Xserve and the old Mac Pro now gone, I think it would be awfully difficult to put one together. As much as there is to like about the new Mac Pro, I don't know that they have the connectivity or expandability to work well in a cluster. Plus, it would be awfully difficult to "stack" them in racks.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston

I don't know about current Apple supercomputers-in all honesty, with both the Xserve and the old Mac Pro now gone, I think it would be awfully difficult to put one together. As much as there is to like about the new Mac Pro, I don't know that they have the connectivity or expandability to work well in a cluster. Plus, it would be awfully difficult to "stack" them in racks.

My thoughts exactly. I suppose Apple knowingly got out of that game when they stopped making servers.

Anyone know what apple uses in their data centers and such? It seems odd such a massive computer company would outsource their products.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I could only imagine how hot that room was, and how expensive the electric bill was.

As with most modern supercomputers, it had a fairly efficient room cooling system to keep things at a manageable temperature-a reasonably cool room makes for happy computers! If you look through the full photo gallery

http://www.arc.vt.edu/resources/hpc/history/sysX_construction.php

there are photos of the cooling system installation before the computers started going into the racks

As for the power bill-that's secondary :)

The big selling point was that at the time it was built, it was the #3 supercomputer in the world but was about 1/80 the cost of the #1 computer at the time($5.2 million vs $400 million). $395 million buys a lot of electricity.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

Not difficult, just expensive.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/xmacproserver.html

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014

Yeah... this new Mac Pro should be something like the "Mac" or "Mac Tower" and the big tower is the "Mac Pro" or "Mac Tower Pro" or something like that...

The trashcan mac (or ashcan mac if you are into art) is nice and all but it is so limited... it's just a solid-state cylinder; only moving part is the fan which soon will not exist anymore. But internal expandability? Get out of here! You cannot do much with a trashcan Mac except use it. If you want expandability you need to build an external box for it.
It seems that Apple let go of server stuff and now just make consumer stuff. Maybe because very few people actually use many Macs for server racks. Dell or IBM or homemade racks are probably much more reasonable to use.
Why do people even use Macs for server racks at all? It's not like they have to use OS X, they probably use a Linux distro for clusters; but you can do this with any server machine.

One thing that really irritates me about the nMP is the accelerometer specifically for turning the lights on and off! :mad: WHY?!

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Yeah... this new Mac Pro should be something like the "Mac" or "Mac Tower" and the big tower is the "Mac Pro" or "Mac Tower Pro" or something like that...

The trashcan mac (or ashcan mac if you are into art) is nice and all but it is so limited... it's just a solid-state cylinder; only moving part is the fan which soon will not exist anymore. But internal expandability? Get out of here! You cannot do much with a trashcan Mac except use it. If you want expandability you need to build an external box for it.
It seems that Apple let go of server stuff and now just make consumer stuff. Maybe because very few people actually use many Macs for server racks. Dell or IBM or homemade racks are probably much more reasonable to use.
Why do people even use Macs for server racks at all? It's not like they have to use OS X, they probably use a Linux distro for clusters; but you can do this with any server machine.

One thing that really irritates me about the nMP is the accelerometer specifically for turning the lights on and off! :mad: WHY?!

To reach back and plug your 15th LACIE drive into the thunderbolt port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.