Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:24 PM   #1
jhgorman
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
iBook, MBP, or wait?

I'm in the market for an Apple laptop, finally making the switch from a PC. I've been lurking in the forums for a while now, but I still haven't quite got the feel for the model I should invest in.

Here's the intended use:

General web browsing
Word processing
Image importing and editing for an advanced amateur photographer (DSLR work)
Light design work in Illustrator and InDesign

My price ceiling absolutely maxes out at about $2300. I've been burned on hardware before, so I'm seriously considering the extended warranty - is this worth it?

So what should I look at? A PB or a MBP? Or would a basic iBook with increased RAM get the job done?

Thanks for the help.
jhgorman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:53 PM   #2
designed
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Finland
While not doubting the PowerPC Macs for a second, I'd go for a Intel Mac when switching over from PC to Mac(which is what I did), which means it's either MBP or wait since you need a laptop.
__________________
"Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac" - Join MacRumors.com - Team Folding, and be a part of the Folding team!
designed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:55 PM   #3
bill4588
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kennesaw, GA
i would wait...just in case. you never know if the new iBook will be just what you need for a much lower price. but like you said, your budget is 2300 so you could definitely get the MBP if you wanted to.
bill4588 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:05 PM   #4
virus1
macrumors 65816
 
virus1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: LOST
wait for the intel ibook. fits your needs and should be awesome.
__________________
No, really. I completely understand you. (Pay no attention to my 'tar)
virus1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:28 PM   #5
jhgorman
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
So how about the Applecare extended warranty? Is that worth the price? Especially given that the first gen Intel MacBooks might have unforseen hardware bugs?
jhgorman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:43 PM   #6
bill4588
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kennesaw, GA
yeah i would get the warranty. it's definitely worth it and it makes you feel better too.
bill4588 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 02:42 AM   #7
Deepdale
macrumors 68000
 
Deepdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhgorman
... Applecare ... Is that worth the price?
Purchase it like you would health insurance. Odds are in your favor that you will end up with a solid machine, but a Mac that needs repairs after the first year will cost you a nice amount (and laptops are more likely to fall into that category than their desktop cousins).
__________________
iMac G3 450 MHz (09-00) ... likely to be replaced by my first laptop.
Deepdale is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hate the glare in the new MBP...thinking of switching to old MBP or wait? AluminumMB Buying Tips and Advice 38 Mar 27, 2009 09:44 PM
MB or refurb MBP or wait for Santa Rosa? RedTomato Buying Tips and Advice 9 Nov 1, 2006 05:29 PM
Get current MBP or wait for C2D MBP? Help! redsox786 Buying Tips and Advice 5 Sep 13, 2006 09:30 AM
Buy an iBook now or wait for Intel iBook? geekologist PowerPC Macs 19 Jan 17, 2006 09:22 PM
buy 12 powerbook or 12 ibook now, or wait for 12 powerbook after update? steelfist Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive) 20 Aug 15, 2005 09:23 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC