Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luketerry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
London, United Kingdom
Hello,

As the title suggests what are peoples opinion on Yosemite & Mavericks?

Which is better and why?

Recently started a new role where I need to support Macs more often that I have had to do before (More used to a Windows environment...don't hate me!)

Would just like to get to know about the Macs and how they work etc etc so any information would be awesome!

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
There are some that gripe about Yosemite, but those are the ones that usually gripe about everything. I ran Yosemite on an older 2010 15" MBP without issues, and have a late 2013 rMBP with it and no issues.

If you run into problems, consider doing a clean install (yeah...that sounds so Windows-esque, but it works).

Luketerry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
London, United Kingdom
I have been using Yosemite but haven't ran into any issues.

A member of our web team had a brand new Mac specced up nicely for him, it arrived....lovely machine had Yosemite pre-installed on it and he wasn't impressed at all! Can you roll back OS' he 'made do with Yosemite' in the end....poor soul.

Butchie-T

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Colorado
Hello,

As the title suggests what are peoples opinion on Yosemite & Mavericks?

Which is better and why?

Recently started a new role where I need to support Macs more often that I have had to do before (More used to a Windows environment...don't hate me!)

Would just like to get to know about the Macs and how they work etc etc so any information would be awesome!

Greetings,

I am a recent MAC OS X adapter as well. I cannot say convert as I will always have some sort of Windows environment near me. Whether it be at work or at home.

There are two books that PeachPit publishes (if you are into reading that sort of stuff.) OS X 10.9 Support Essentials and OS X 10.9 Server Essentials. These are the official certification bibles for the respective Mavericks certifications.

Needless to say, the are also very detailed and versed in all things MAC OS X 10.9. They are also just coming out with the OS X 10.10 versions of both books.

A good deal of info in these books as well as labs at the end of each chapters that delve into the inner-workings.

I'm in the midst of studying for the 10.9 certs now and hope to have them done within the next 6 months. Then onto the 10.10 certs......

Hope that helps ya' some.

And BTW. I like Mavericks and have loaded Yosemite on an external drive and have poked around in it a bit but not enough to get a feel for it one way or the other.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
From what I have been reading on the forums, if your livelihood depends on it, probably Mavericks until they get the bugs out of Yosemite.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Wow Butchie-T thank you very much! I will see I can get hold of them and give them a read, thanks for the detailed response.

Very helpful!

If you are unsure about Yosemite, create a second partition on your boot hard drive and install Yosemite on it. Play around with Yosemite and when you re down delete the partition. This will not affect your boot partition. It always a good idea to backup your computer just in case something unexpected happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.