Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Definitely a good budget option. Motorola keeps doing it right. I might pick it up myself.

bmxracer

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2014
This is a great deal, even better than the first gen moto g in my opinion. Might just have to pick one up.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
I think I'll pick this up for my mother, for Mother's Day. It will be a great intro smartphone for her.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I'm currently without a smartphone, I just got back from spending time abroad and mine broke last month. I've been looking at my options, I was pretty tempted by the Moto X $140 off sale but didn't end up pulling the trigger. And I don't really fancy spending big money on an off-contract iPhone at the moment. I don't use my smartphones extremely heavily, but I do like having a good phone.

The Moto E looks like a good stopgap. I don't think it's just for first-time smartphone users, it looks like a good phone for those looking to buy off-contract and don't require a lot of power. Plus it has 4G.

I'm interested.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
It's a great option to have a backup phone for times when you don't want to take your flagship or whatever.

coleblk

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2013
I ordered a white one with some interchangeable bands. Planning on doing a comparison with the first generation Moto G. Stay tuned for my impressions!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Erica Griffin has a great Moto E LTE new hands on.

Performance seemed ok on video but she reported some poor performance stutters / pauses.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Well it is a budget phone. I have a Moto G and love it but I do notice some excessive lag when my keyboard pops up sometimes. I can handle that with my 5 plus hour screen time and cheap price!

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Definitely an interesting phone for the price. If I needed a replacement phone I would certainly be looking into it. Screen rez is the only think that puts me off. At the end of the day I think I would be more inclined to get the first gen moto g or maybe the second if it can be found cheaper.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
I saw the 4G LTE Boost and Sprint variants this morning at Best Buy. The price? $99.

coleblk

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2013
Mine just arrived today. This thing feels unbelievably well built considering it's price. Buttons are firm and responsive and performance isn't bad under Lollipop at all. I also have a first generation Moto G and I must say this feels like a better put together phone as a whole, I have the worst rattling buttons and creaky body on my G...none of that to be found here. I switched it out with the red bumper and I like the look of it a lot. The display is also way better than I had anticipated, definitely not as good as the G but totally acceptable with good color reproduction. Here's some pics...
DSC00317_zpsfwda6ayd.jpg

DSC00314_zpsa86yorgm.jpg

DSC00315_zpsihtwzerv.jpg

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Mine just arrived today. This thing feels unbelievably well built considering it's price. Buttons are firm and responsive and performance isn't bad under Lollipop at all. I also have a first generation Moto G and I must say this feels like a better put together phone as a whole, I have the worst rattling buttons and creaky body on my G...none of that to be found here. I switched it out with the red bumper and I like the look of it a lot. The display is also way better than I had anticipated, definitely not as good as the G but totally acceptable with good color reproduction. Here's some pics...

Looks good. Keep us updated.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The E got upgraded to an IPS screen this time around which is a big improvement over the first generation model.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009

What do you think of the battery life?

green9206

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
While this is certainly a decent step up from my Moto E 1st gen, it isn't quite impressive compared to competing devices like Lenovo A6000,Redmi 1S/2 which have 16gb internal storage and 720p displays and cost equal or less. Still a very good phone for less than $150 as Motorola provides regular software updates and smooth stock Android build which Lenovo, Redmi don't.

coleblk

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2013
What do you think of the battery life?

After having it for a couple of days, I can say that the battery life on this phone is just great! Keep in mind that I don't use the cellular on it as of right now so my experience is probably a bit better than the average user. I still think this phone would be very hard to kill completely in a day for the average/first-time smartphone user. Great little backup phone or media player.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
Just talked to my mom and she just told me she can barely hear with her flip phone, so she's looking to buy a new phone, and she wants to spend $200 max. So it looks like she'll be getting this phone sooner than expected. It will be her first smartphone. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.