Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
I am meant to be learning Quark but have got busy with my hobby site, http://www.eclipsenow.org. I am trying to reflow and redesign the site, and am finding GoLive "buggy". Maybe it's me... it is my first ever website.

But GoLive is really getting me down. I just want the title page neat with neat text. So I am trying "tables within tables" to keep my components and everything neat. Unfortunately, I sometimes want to do inconvenient things like specify a margin between my text and it's table box. So rather than add a table cell "Pad" which would then affect all the cells in my table, I am playing with the "BLOCK" function in CSS. Sadly this seems to hang my computer!

Blargh!

And please don't ask me to do code.... any solution has to be drop and drag. code.... errgh. This is not my career.... I just need quick web design solutions... and am MEANT to be learning Quark anyway...

so is Quark a full web site manager?

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
Quark is for print layout and type setting, not for web design. If you thought golive was unintuitive and unstable, try using quark for something its not meant for.

i cant really suggest a WYSIWYG website app (except iweb) because I learned code from the start (my suggestion).

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
If you don't like GoLive, then I would tryout Dreamweaver. Probably the best commercial site builder out there. Plays fairly nice with CSS, too. And Contribute has started to become useful (if you want others to be able to update some parts of the site, mainly contents).

If you want something free, try Nvu.

PS! I use TextWrangler and Cyberduck. Best way to make and maintain a website using xhtml, css, php and mysql for free. ;)

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Thanks... I've been interested in NVU for a while... is it easier than GoLive?

I'm in a husband and wife design team and have Quark already... but as far as easy web-design goes, do you think NVU will be more stable and easy to use than Quark? (Keep in mind I have to learn Quark anyway.)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I don't like either GoLive (just tried a little) nor Nvu (tested fairly well as a Dreamweaver replacement), but Dreamweaver is OK as long as you don't want to do anything complicated, like using php. One strong point with Dreamweaver is templates and s/ftp support, which makes sitebuilding a dream (pun intended). Starting with Dreamweaver is fairly easy, neither better nor (much) worse than GoLive... Nvu is in the same ballpark...

Quark, like mentioned above, is a desktop publishing tool, and is not for building websites (don't even know if it's even possible).

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
I'm doing the Quark tutorial now... chapters and chapters on web design. I have to learn Quark anyway because we are in print design, I was just wondering if anyone had used it as a web app.

My wife knows Quark like the back of her hand... has been using it for 12 years. I asked her to switch to Indesign and she nearly exploded... saving the cost of Quark per machine would be nothing compared to the lost productivity and potential print buying mistakes if we switched to Indesign. I just liked having everything we needed in Adobe... but after all the bugginess of GoLive, maybe she's right to stick with Quark for print. But hey, that's a whole different ballgame anyway, right?

So if Quark is her "religion" maybe I could save myself a whole lot of hassle on the layout side of things, and just try to learn the web formatting stuff tagged on the end, so to speak.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Sorry... web-bundle... is that extra $$$$?
I have to buy the CS anyway for our design studio.... is the web bundle extra? That's why i went with GoLive originally because I had it anyway.

But Golive has been so painful that I'm thinking of just getting my domain name to point to a free BLOGGER site!!! :eek:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
eclipse said:
Sorry... web-bundle... is that extra $$$$?
Oh yes... ;)

But you can get just Dreamweaver, but anyway you should download the 30 (or is it 60) days free trial and try that up against GoLive and Nvu, then make you decision... :)

i.Feature

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
Montreal, Canada
eclipse said:
Who uses Quark for Web design?

Some who's really into pain and suffering. I seriously don't know why quark wasted resources on this when theose resources could have been put into strengthening Quarks real purpose.

If you really want a quark document online you should make a pdf.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Yes, I was playing on that.:)

Did you ever watch the 80's "Young Ones"?
They had this hippie character Neil who was absolutely copping a verbal abuse session from Rick.

Rick was shouting his head off, "For the last TIME NEIL I AM NOT GETTING AGGGGREEEEESSSSSSIIIIIIVEEEE!"

Neil's response in a quiet and subdued voice...
"Yes you are Rick. I can sense it."

Ahhh, those British comedians! Too much tea, it gets to them. :D

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
LOL! :D :D :D :D

Ahhh, those were the days.

That is one of my all time favourite Young Ones quotes, along with:-

"I HAD to, I was drunk!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.