Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
hey guys
upgraded from puny 8core 2.4ghz to 3.33Ghz 12core X series CPUs and want to know if my score is decent? And I did a full on stress test. I used Arctic Silver 5 and put a pea size and spread it across the CPU and put the (clean surface) heatsinks back on. This is the way i used to build PC's so I just did the same thing. I also have a GTX780 in this machine and an SSD with Velox2 + USB3.0

Please see below. Also the second image has idle scores for CPU temp.

Any help appreciated. Cheers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 5.45.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 5.45.11 PM.png
    283.8 KB · Views: 321
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 5.45.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 5.45.32 PM.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 249

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
hey guys
upgraded from puny 8core 2.4ghz to 3.33Ghz 12core X series CPUs and want to know if my score is decent? And I did a full on stress test. I used Arctic Silver 5 and put a pea size and spread it across the CPU and put the (clean surface) heatsinks back on. This is the way i used to build PC's so I just did the same thing. I also have a GTX780 in this machine and an SSD with Velox2 + USB3.0

Are these IDLE or busy temps? When busy than yes, good temps.

My W3690 is IDLE'ing at 41°C. When busy around 60°C, under heavy load 74°C.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Your CPUs are running hotter than I am. Attached, for comparison are my temps in F.
Intel says the Max Temp. of the X5680 is 78.5C and you're below that.

Lou

Attachments

• CPU Temp.jpg
    CPU Temp.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 311

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
hey guys

This is my 3.06 z600 hackintosh with only 4 dimms not 6 so I;m not running my RAM at full speed.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-02-26 20.45.16.png
    Screenshot 2015-02-26 20.45.16.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 129

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Are these IDLE or busy temps? When busy than yes, good temps.

My W3690 is IDLE'ing at 41°C. When busy around 60°C, under heavy load 74°C.

The images on left are at 100% CPU usage. It seems that CPU "diode" is at 76-78°C

I was afraid of the PCECI temps which are jumping up to 93°C.

The image on the right are idle temps

----------

Your CPUs are running hotter than I am. Attached, for comparison are my temps in F.
Intel says the Max Temp. of the X5680 is 78.5C and you're below that.

Lou

It seems that if I up the speeds of the exhaust and intake fans, the temps drop down a lot. It seems from your screenshot you're using custom fan speeds? I figured I'd let the Mac take care of it.

This is my 3.06 z600 hackintosh with only 4 dimms not 6 so I;m not running my RAM at full speed.

Yeah I'm not running at full speed for RAM either, its 1066Mhz instead of 1333Mhz (which is what the max that these CPUs support)

So the question for you guys is, should I reapply the thermal paste or increase the exhaust fans when I do heavier tasks?

Here's my idle scores in F

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 7.48.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 7.48.16 PM.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 169

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
hey guys are these good temps for idle?

it seems one cpu is 46c and the other 38c...shouldnt they be close to each other?

Also at full load it jumps to around 75c-80c and i know xeons are good around 70-75c at full load. I have to manuall up the fans a bit to get these things cooled down back to 72c.

Does anyone else who upgraded their cpus to x5680 or x5690 deal with manual fan control and these kinds of temps?

i reapplied my thermal paste (rice size this time) and it seems its a bit lower.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
CPU A is always hotter (under normal circumstance) because it seats after the CPU B. So the cool air will flow through the CPU B first, and then the CPU A is cooled down by those warm air, therefore it's a bit hotter.

Idle at 38C is a very normal temp (of course, depends on ambient temp), and the other one is within 10C, so I will say it's normal as well.

The native fan control will let the CPU warm up to around 80C before it does anything. And then spin up the fan to keep the temp at there. The X5690's T-case max is 78.5C (10C higher than my W3690), and my W3690 can run continuously at 85C (iStat Tdiode temp) without any problem for days.

And now, I also use fan control software, but the aim is mainly to lower the noise (use more booster fan, and less intake fan in my case), and the CPU will still run at 78-80C under full load, just few degrees lower than the native setting. Never have any issue with these temperature. So 80C should not be a problem for the X5690 which has another 10C buffer if compare to my W3690.

Last edited:

accessvirus

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2015

I used hackintosh since 2008. Certainly It's not worth. Updatable mac pro 4.1 and 5.1 are cheap.

Update for hackintosh is always big problem. I never recommended.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I used hackintosh since 2008. Certainly It's not worth. Updatable mac pro 4.1 and 5.1 are cheap.

Update for hackintosh is always big problem. I never recommended.

I'd not recommend a hackintosh to 99% of people either especially hackintoshing my Z600. Now that it's all done it works fine but it wasn't an easy road to get it there.

*I actually don't know what I was thinking when I posted in this thread. My post wasn't relevant and just wasted bandwidth I must have been tired or not sober*

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
CPU A is always hotter (under normal circumstance) because it seats after the CPU B. So the cool air will flow through the CPU B first, and then the CPU A is cooled down by those warm air, therefore it's a bit hotter.

Idle at 38C is a very normal temp (of course, depends on ambient temp), and the other one is within 10C, so I will say it's normal as well.

The native fan control will let the CPU warm up to around 80C before it does anything. And then spin up the fan to keep the temp at there. The X5690's T-case max is 78.5C (10C higher than my W3690), and my W3690 can run continuously at 85C (iStat Tdiode temp) without any problem for days.

And now, I also use fan control software, but the aim is mainly to lower the noise (use more booster fan, and less intake fan in my case), and the CPU will still run at 78-80C under full load, just few degrees lower than the native setting. Never have any issue with these temperature. So 80C should not be a problem for the X5690 which has another 10C buffer if compare to my W3690.

Cheers for that. So I shouldn't worry about the fans being kicked up....I have iStat Menu and Macs Fan Control. I mostly idle anyway, when I push this computer its once in a while.

Also I reapplied just a pea sized thermal paste and didn't even flatten it this time. I thought it was the thermal paste causing the high degrees. I also wish I bought a x5690 instead of the x5680, but oh welll.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Should I polish the heatsinks? there are scratches on them now from reapplying the thermal paste a few times.

Idle temps are around 56C and 44C for each cpu, respectively.

I use iStat Menus to double the RPMs on the intake/outtake and it all drops down to 41C and 38C. Is this normal? Please help.

Mactrunk

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
On a similar system, I'm getting 35C at idle and about 50C under stress.
Is your room air hot?
In the summertime here, temps jump up a bit for me.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I am with the single CPU system, so can't help too much by compare my Mac to yours. However, I think usually no need to polish it (unless the scratches are really bad), but better double check if it's clean inside the heatsink.

The thermal paste is not the only component that affect the cooling efficiency. If that's not the source of the problem. You can't fix the problem by re-applying the paste.

I never clean my heatsink until last week. So it kept sucking the dusty Hong Kong air for about 6 years 24/7. Last week, my place (the whole building) was powered down for maintenance. So, I decided to clean my Mac in that period. I just took the tray out, used a hand pump (for camera lens) to blow the cluster of dust out a bit, and then removed it carefully. I physically removed almost a dozen of dust cluster, size all about 1-2cm (diameter).

The result, CPU run just few degrees cooler at idle (all fans at stock idle speed), but it's clearly that the CPU temp increase at a much lower rate when the system under full load. Also, the northbridge is now 20C cooler (60C vs 80C).

It's quit amazing that the system can still perform normally with only a little bit extra fan noise in that condition (The booster was basically blocked). You may use a flash light to check if the boosters and heatsink are physically clear. If not, clean it carefully.

Reactions: martyr

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
On a similar system, I'm getting 35C at idle and about 50C under stress.
Is your room air hot?
In the summertime here, temps jump up a bit for me.

I'm in southern california, so it's fairly humid at the moment but not too "hot". I live close to the beach so there is a marine layer. Room is not extremely hot.

I opened the side case and the temperature dropped a lot for now.

I am with the single CPU system, so can't help too much by compare my Mac to yours. However, I think usually no need to polish it (unless the scratches are really bad), but better double check if it's clean inside the heatsink.

The thermal paste is not the only component that affect the cooling efficiency. If that's not the source of the problem. You can't fix the problem by re-applying the paste.

I never clean my heatsink until last week. So it kept sucking the dusty Hong Kong air for about 6 years 24/7. Last week, my place (the whole building) was powered down for maintenance. So, I decided to clean my Mac in that period. I just took the tray out, used a hand pump (for camera lens) to blow the cluster of dust out a bit, and then removed it carefully. I physically removed almost a dozen of dust cluster, size all about 1-2cm (diameter).

The result, CPU run just few degrees cooler at idle (all fans at stock idle speed), but it's clearly that the CPU temp increase at a much lower rate when the system under full load. Also, the northbridge is now 20C cooler (60C vs 80C).

It's quit amazing that the system can still perform normally with only a little bit extra fan noise in that condition (The booster was basically blocked). You may use a flash light to check if the boosters and heatsink are physically clear. If not, clean it carefully.

I will try to reapply the thermal paste this weekend, with the "X" method after airdusting the heatsink more and using more care this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.