Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
So we all know that ball bearing is better than sleeve bearing...
but is it?

Sleeve bearing looses its oil faster and starts rubbing and making noise and resistance. But all you need to do is put a drop of oil in it and it's good as new. While ball bearing lasts longer, you cannot oil a ball bearing fan (i think). And a sleeve bearing fan is quieter in the beginning. So all you need to do is oil the fans every once in a while (same time you would clean out the dust) and they will last, while a ball bearing fan cannot be oiled (I think). And also sleeve bearing fans are cheaper.

So are ball bearing fans really better? I think sleeve bearing fans would be better as long as you oil it regularly, and that is no problem because you need to clean dust out regularly too.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
So we all know that ball bearing is better than sleeve bearing...
but is it?

Sleeve bearing looses its oil faster and starts rubbing and making noise and resistance. But all you need to do is put a drop of oil in it and it's good as new. While ball bearing lasts longer, you cannot oil a ball bearing fan (i think). And a sleeve bearing fan is quieter in the beginning. So all you need to do is oil the fans every once in a while (same time you would clean out the dust) and they will last, while a ball bearing fan cannot be oiled (I think). And also sleeve bearing fans are cheaper.

So are ball bearing fans really better? I think sleeve bearing fans would be better as long as you oil it regularly, and that is no problem because you need to clean dust out regularly too.

I have never in my 12 years of working on computer ever had to service fans. But i do no that Ball Bearing fans have better airflow. Sleeve are quiet but that is also due to the fact that on 12V they have next to NOTHING on airflow. Ball bearings are louder but push MUCH More air

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I have never in my 12 years of working on computer ever had to service fans. But i do no that Ball Bearing fans have better airflow. Sleeve are quiet but that is also due to the fact that on 12V they have next to NOTHING on airflow. Ball bearings are louder but push MUCH More air

But bearing type doesn't have anything to do with the airflow... You probably think that because sleeve bearing fans are usually cheap poor quality fans and also have low CFM, and ball bearing fans are usually better quality and also have higher CFM.

But lets say we compare two identical fans, that both have the same voltage, speed, CFM, size, shape, and material, but only thing that is different is the bearing. How would it compare? You can oil sleeve bearing fans but cannot oil ball bearing fans.

Hmm, maybe I should post this in a fan forum

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
But bearing type doesn't have anything to do with the airflow... You probably think that because sleeve bearing fans are usually cheap poor quality fans and also have low CFM, and ball bearing fans are usually better quality and also have higher CFM.

But lets say we compare two identical fans, that both have the same voltage, speed, CFM, size, shape, and material, but only thing that is different is the bearing. How would it compare? You can oil sleeve bearing fans but cannot oil ball bearing fans.

Hmm, maybe I should post this in a fan forum

I have yet to find ANY sleeve bearing fan that has the same CFMs as a ball bearing; but i do get what you are saying. pretty much all the LED fans are sleeve they dont seem to have (many if at all) LED ball bearing fans. I have literally had LED Sleeve fans go up in smoke, It happened while I was upgrading my sister's computer YEARS ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.