Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AGX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
Hi,

I'm not registred to Facebook or other social network.

But today I received a registration invite from Facebook by a people that I don't know, and the strange is.... there is anyone that have this GMAIL address! :eek::eek::eek:

Some days ago the same with an invite from LinkedIn. That i never used or registered.

I have opened this email address an year ago, and never used for nothing and no people know it.

How is possibile? The username of the email is so strange and I have zero spam... this is the first time that I receive an email, and specifically... an invite from someone that implicate that some one,.... know this mail?!

Someone received "randomly" some strange invite from unknown people to register to Facebook or Linked?

Facebook and Linkedin use some strange tactics to find email address and "simulate" invite? Or there is some explain?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hi,

I'm not registred to Facebook or other social network.

But today I received a registration invite from Facebook by a people that I don't know, and the strange is.... there is anyone that have this GMAIL address! :eek::eek::eek:

Some days ago the same with an invite from LinkedIn. That i never used or registered.

I have opened this email address an year ago, and never used for nothing and no people know it.

How is possibile? The username of the email is so strange and I have zero spam... this is the first time that I receive an email, and specifically... an invite from someone that implicate that some one,.... know this mail?!

Someone received "randomly" some strange invite from unknown people to register to Facebook or Linked?

Facebook and Linkedin use some strange tactics to find email address and "simulate" invite? Or there is some explain?

I get Facebook friend requests to my work email from people I don't know, having never been on the site. I'd just delete them and move on.

AGX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
This is only the confirm that Facebook... spam! :eek:

AGX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
No, but if this is true... is the clear confirm that some one, Facebook, linked in or Gmail spam.

Why this only with Gmail and not with my default iCloud email address?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
No, but if this is true... is the clear confirm that some one, Facebook, linked in or Gmail spam.

Why this only with Gmail and not with my default iCloud email address?
The roads junkmail takes through the world wide web - The eternal riddle of life
Will we ever know?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Strange emails - the ones from an unknown provenance - I delete immediately.

(However, I will say that since I switched to Apple they are a far rarer occurrence than they used to be).

Strange phone calls, you know the ones, where a lilting sing-song accent more usually emanating from the Indian sub-continent announces that they are phoning you because of 'a problem with your Microsoft computer'……….those I also tend to terminate, quite abruptly.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
I get those LinkedIn requests a couple of times each month. As others have stated if it looks strange or is from an unsolicited party just delete it and move on.

AGX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
I have contacted facebook and linkedit about this fact.

The reply?

Sorry, from Now we never send invites

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I also had an email from a guy in Africa who has the same surname as me. He has won the local lottery and just needs to pay £200 to claim his £1000000 prize. As I have the same surname, I could claim I had won it if I send him the £200. Should I respond....:D

In other news a young Russian lady has uploaded some pictures I was asking her for when we chatted online the other day. Should I click on the link....:D

Rolex watches for 90% off. To good to be true....:D

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I also had an email from a guy in Africa who has the same surname as me. He has won the local lottery and just needs to pay £200 to claim his £1000000 prize. As I have the same surname, I could claim I had won it if I send him the £200. Should I respond.....:D
:eek:
He contacted you, too?
You have the same surname, too? :eek:

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I also had an email from a guy in Africa who has the same surname as me. He has won the local lottery and just needs to pay £200 to claim his £1000000 prize. As I have the same surname, I could claim I had won it if I send him the £200. Should I respond....:D

:eek:
He contacted you, too?
You have the same surname, too? :eek:

Small world. I didn't know the three of us were related.:eek: Um make that 4 if you include our brother, from a different mother, in Africa.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.