Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Color is this Dress?

• Black & Blue

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Gold & White

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Why did it get moved to the Wasteland?? I think it's really interesting and scary that some people see a white and gold dress while others -including me- see a blue and black. My sister sees gold and white, when I told her it's blue and black! She was like no, there's absolutely no blue or black. All she sees is a white and gold dress. Anyway, I've added the explanations. Which I find really interesting.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425038022.773820.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425038034.478898.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425038045.050986.jpg

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
I've now seen it three phones and three computer screens, and it looks different each time.

My initial reaction was that it's white and gold, although there's now some doubt creeping in.

Interestingly (or not) both my wife and I were adamant it's white/gold, whereas our teenage daughters were equally sure it's blue/black. This paragraph...
HumOkEq.jpg

...suggests age is a factor?

I can accept that the dress is blue and has been horribly mangled by whatever camera was used, but, try as hard as I might, I really can't process that green/brown colour as anything other than gold.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Yes so the correct color is blue and black. Even the one I posted in my original post, it's blue and black. But my sis and aunt both see gold and white. I asked my little sister, she agrees with me, she was like what are you two (referring to aunt and sis) talking about? :confused:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Extraordinarily interesting post and article (though I'll readily admit that I initially thought it was one of those idiotic time wasting threads).

Anyway, I see it - the original post - as (pale) blue and (dull) gold. Fascinating.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Extraordinarily interesting post and article (though I'll readily admit that I initially thought it was one of those idiotic time wasting threads).

Anyway, I see it - the original post - as (pale) blue and (dull) gold. Fascinating.

Oh wow. So you see it as blue and gold. It's usually either blue and black or white and gold.

It's clearly black and blue. On a side note, I'm very confused as to why my thread was moved to wasteland.

Yes I wanted to post the explanation but I was surprised to see it locked and thrown to waste.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Anyway, I see it - the original post - as (pale) blue and (dull) gold.
We're allowed white/gold and blue/black, but I'm not sure blue/gold is a permitted colour combo!

On the crudely calibrated desktop monitor I'm using right now it does appear more of baby blue, whereas on more strongly backlit devices I perceive it as an overly warm white. But I can't for the life of me see how it's a rendition of the sapphire dress in the advert.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Do I understand that right: take a horrible pic with a crap camera/lens and ask folks, each with a different screen that is, about the color of the original, physical item? :/

Material is highly reflective, that's for sure.

Oh, and that the skirt ain't looking good in either combo, too. We sure this is no marketing bs?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Oh wow. So you see it as blue and gold. It's usually either blue and black or white and gold.

Yes I wanted to post the explanation but I was surprised to see it locked and thrown to waste.

We're allowed white/gold and blue/black, but I'm not sure blue/gold is a permitted colour combo!

On the crudely calibrated desktop monitor I'm using right now it does appear more of baby blue, whereas on more strongly backlit devices I perceive it as an overly warm white. But I can't for the life of me see how it's a rendition of the sapphire dress in the advert.

Reading the article, the guy who conducted the experiment seems to have seen it as blue and gold (he used the term 'orange', whereas I see it as a dull brass colour).

Why that should be, I have no idea, but would be most interested in learning more. I suspect that ageing eyes may have something to do with it.

Nevertheless, it is fascinating.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
What Color is this Dress *Explanation*

On second thought, the poll results were embarassing and maybe it was for the best that it was removed from public view.

There was a poll? I didn't see it because I usually browse using Tapatalk.

Do I understand that right: take a horrible pic with a crap camera/lens and ask folks, each with a different screen that is, about the color of the original, physical item? :/

I used the same iPhone to show my sisters and aunt. My little sister and I see a blue and black dress. My aunt and older sister, gold and white. Again, same iPhone.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Oh, and that the skirt ain't looking good in either combo, too. We sure this is no marketing bs?

While I agree that the dress doesn't particularly 'look good' in any setting, I doubt that this is the point of the thread.

Likewise, - while I had dismissed the initial thread as one of those frivolous ones, I actually don't think this can be reduced to a description of 'marketing bs'; rather, I think it is a fascinating example of how different people see light differently, and it appears to be a function of how they process different colours in the human eye.

I must say that I find the topic extraordinarily interesting.

There was a poll? I didn't see it because I usually browse using Tapatalk.

I used the same iPhone to show my sisters and aunt. My little sister and I see a blue and black dress. My aunt and older sister, gold and white. Again, same iPhone.

Actually, yes, there was a poll, in the waste landed version of the thread.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012

Yep, but it's not exactly news that different people perceive colors quite differently - let alone material qualities (shiny or not/surroundings etc.)

But to ask about the color of a real object via digital representation (and a very crappy one at that) is quite pointless imo.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
It sounds more and more like a young eyes / old eyes divide.

I was just going to quote your previous post about age probably being a factor. I don't know. I'm not sure it is. My friend is my age and she sees gold/white. My older sister who I've also said sees gold/white is only two years older than me.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
...I think it is a fascinating example of how different people see light differently, and it appears to be a function of how they process different colours in the human eye...

A good lesson came from this: Being confident you're right doesn't always mean you're right. In life, there isn't always a single right answer.

And contrary to what many believe, self-doubt can actually be helpful in getting you to the truth - which is neither black nor white (nor blue nor gold!)

Hard for some to grasp, but a good lesson.

----------

It sounds more and more like a young eyes / old eyes divide.

Or environment? I had the colors flip on me between being in the car in the dark and later at home in a well lit room. It had me seriously scratching my head.

It reminds me of this illusion. The squares A and B are identical in color/shade. They really are! Explanation is at the link: http://web.mit.edu/persci/people/adelson/checkershadow_illusion.html

Attachments

• checkershadow_illusion4med.jpg
    checkershadow_illusion4med.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Can't someone run it through Photoshop and just use the eye dropper to determine which color it's closest to? We have pretty set standards on what's considered gold and what is considered black.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Can't someone run it through Photoshop and just use the eye dropper to determine which color it's closest to? We have pretty set standards on what's considered gold and what is considered black.

That gives you a single right answer. But that's useless in the real world because that's not how people are perceiving it.

And for all practical, everyday purposes: perception is reality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.