Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Case Logic is known its line of backpacks, cases, and other storage accessories, all of which are priced affordably, making it quite popular with people looking for inexpensive but quality solutions for carrying around their devices.

We met up with Case Logic at CES this year, where the company had a large booth showcasing all of its products, including the Ibira backpack, one of its newest offerings. We went hands-on with the Ibira backpack in our latest video review, so check it out to see what we thought.

The Ibira is a lightweight, slim backpack but we were impressed with what it was able to hold. We fit in a MacBook, an iPad, an Apple keyboard, an iPhone, several chargers and accessories, a water bottle, and several notebooks. Build wise, the backpack is made of a high quality material that feels like it will stand up to heavy usage, but the straps were a bit too thin and could use more padding to be comfortable.

Case Logic's Ibira Backpack is available in black and anthracite from the Case Logic website for $29.99.

Article Link: Case Logic Video Review: Hands-On With the Ibira MacBook Backpack

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Would have liked to see the backpack on someone to gauge how it looks. Even when full it looked good sitting on a desk, but how does it look on someone could be totally different.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
its a book bag.................. There's nothing unique about it. I could go to Marshalls and find a dozen of these for 15 bucks.

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
I don't like the two strap back packs! I like the the one strap back packs that you throw over either shoulder! Much cooler and comfortable!

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
its a book bag.................. There's nothing unique about it. I could go to Marshalls and find a dozen of these for 15 bucks.

Did you watch the video? It can hold a MacBook & an iPad, I've never seen a bag that can do that before...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
So far, the problem with combo carry packs is that if you have, say, and OtterBox on your iPad, it isn't going to work at all.

I have the combo MacBook Pro/iPad case from Timbuk2, and it will not fit the OtterBox iPad case. I was bummed...

But anyway...

Apparently Timbuk2 dropped that case too. It was solid made. Just not as I had hoped.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I actually want a big bag. I have a big back and need something bigger. But looks awesome. 30 bucks isn't too bad.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Why would anyone want to carry a keyboard and a note book at the same time with a laptop which has built in keyboard and can type note?

If I carry that much stuff, I got to rethink the way I work!

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
"Feels like it will repel water relatively well."

Does it repel water or not?

Seconded.

I have a north face backpack which costs about 4 times as much. I've had it for a few years and it shows no signs of wearing down. It's nylon so it's actually waterproof. Well worth the money.

If I'm carrying $3000 of equipment I need to know if it's completely waterproof. I don't need to save $80 on a cheap bag if I get caught in the rain and my stuff gets ruined

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
So far, the problem with combo carry packs is that if you have, say, and OtterBox on your iPad, it isn't going to work at all.

I have the combo MacBook Pro/iPad case from Timbuk2, and it will not fit the OtterBox iPad case. I was bummed...

But anyway...

Apparently Timbuk2 dropped that case too. It was solid made. Just not as I had hoped.

If you iPad is in an Otterbox, your iPad doesn't need a special sleeve anyway. You should be able to pretty throw into any pocket in the backpack.

An Otterbox is a pointless waste of resources for anyone who takes half-decent care of their electronics anyway, but that's another debate.

----------

Seconded.

I have a north face backpack which costs about 4 times as much. I've had it for a few years and it shows no signs of wearing down. It's nylon so it's actually waterproof. Well worth the money.

If I'm carrying $3000 of equipment I need to know if it's completely waterproof. I don't need to save $80 on a cheap bag if I get caught in the rain and my stuff gets ruined

Agreed.

I'll honestly never understand this idea of someone being able to afford a $2000 computer, $500+ ipad, or $650+ iPhone but can't spend more than $20 to buy a backpack, sleeve, or case. It's an epidemic among college students.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
Seconded.

My $80 2009 North Face back pack is starting to show its age so this post intrigued me. But I agree, this should be an "is waterproof" or "isn't warerproof" situation for your exact reasons. I'll probably hold out another year but look at getting anothe NF bag.

Sanjeevverma1

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2015
This 'review' is basically an advertisement for a cheap, unimpressive backpack...why would MacRumors post this?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
If you iPad is in an Otterbox, your iPad doesn't need a special sleeve anyway. You should be able to pretty throw into any pocket in the backpack.

An Otterbox is a pointless waste of resources for anyone who takes half-decent care of their electronics anyway, but that's another debate.

I guess where I misjudged the Timbuk2 bag (and so far every other notebook and iPad bag) is that they aren't meant to 'protection' as much as 'organizing and carrying'.

IMO, for a company to assume that someone isn't going to have a Speck skin on their MacBook, or an OtterBox on their iPad is ignorant of the fact that they do spend *some* time outside of their bags. 'Occasionally'...

I like my toteables to look 'like new', and not have garish scratches and risk getting the screens cracked because, well, life happens. And it usually happens when you aren't ready for it, and they aren't in the case.

----------

This 'review' is basically an advertisement for a cheap, unimpressive backpack...why would MacRumors post this?

Not everyone needs a Tumi bag for their stuff that screams "TAKE ME I HAVE EXPENSIVE STUFF INSIDE!".

Just kidding...

I found one of my first college book bags while cleaning out my parents house after they died. I had no clue where it went, at the time. I've used it a bit for schlepping things around. It's beaten up enough to say 'Huh? What you lookin' at! I got nuttin here!' and actually comfortable enough to be lugable all day. It lacks compartments, but it's the perfect size, and has a very thick leather bottom panel. It's an old JanSport. They made some good solid bags, in the day. Don't know if they are still around...

Last edited by a moderator:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Why would you use an iPad when you have a MacBook pro next to you? If you need to do something that require long typing, an iPad is not a logical choice when you're also carrying a MacBook pro.

I often read for my iPad in space constrained places, like airplanes. A full laptop takes a lot of space to use, while you can get a lot done on an iPad if you have one handy. (And yes, that includes typing. I prefer drafting stuff on my iPad mini on a plane than on any laptop).

B

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
I often read for my iPad in space constrained places, like airplanes. A full laptop takes a lot of space to use, while you can get a lot done on an iPad if you have one handy. (And yes, that includes typing. I prefer drafting stuff on my iPad mini on a plane than on any laptop).

B

How does your setup look? Do you carry the Apple wireless keyboard like in the ad? I imagine if you like to use a wireless keyboard, you're using the one that is also a case?

Like I said, the setup in the ad is stupid. Nobody carries around a separate wireless keyboard for an iPad AND a laptop.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Why the heck are people still storing their bags inside of footprints? It takes forever waiting for a large enough creature to walk by and leave footprints to store things like this in.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Did you watch the video? It can hold a MacBook & an iPad, I've never seen a bag that can do that before...

I have an under armor book bag and a cheap book bag each of which can hold my MacBook air, my iPad, three books, and a box of cereal. Most book bags can do that. It's just a book bag man. Don't fall for the hype. Just because they label it a computer bag and not a book bag does not mean it's not a book bag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.