Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
I posted on here a couple weeks back about wanting to have my iPod integrated with my MINI Cooper. I am aware of the solution that BMW provides, allowing access through the steering wheel controls, but was less enthusiastic about the fact that you have to make playlists in order to use the controls. That and the $350 part/labour price turned me off.

After doing a little research, I decided to simply have BMW install the AUX-In port into my car, which will cost $140 parts/labour. This is much better, and still provides top-notch quality sound.

The reason I am so excited it because my best friend and I are going to be doing a lot of traveling beginning this coming Friday (March 10th) in my MINI. Bought a car charger, so now we are all set!

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Just another quick post... does anyone have this in their car?

http://www.tentechnology.com/products/products_flexibledock.php

I was curious to know how flexible the "arm" is, as my cigarette lighter is positioned so that the flexidock would plug into it straight down, which would make the iPod sit horizontally, according to the picture shown. I hope that description makes sense.

Anyone know if you can bend it sufficiently to make it stand vertically once more?

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
I've got one of these for my iPod Mini and I've been very pleased with it. The arm is nice and stiff so the iPod doesn't shake about any more than one would expect, and it doesn't 'wilt' over time either. The arm will turn 90 degrees from end to end without putting a strain on it either, so you should be fine.

The line-out 3.5mm minijack socket at the bottom gives a nice crisp sound. You just flick the two-position switch and use the setting that gives the best sound for your particular car.

I think it's a really good, simple bit of kit - it physically raises the iPod to a level where it's safe and comfortable to use the controls when driving, charges it, and utilises the superior line-out capability. What more do you need? Top banana. :)

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Marky_Mark said:
I've got one of these for my iPod Mini and I've been very pleased with it. The arm is nice and stiff so the iPod doesn't shake about any more than one would expect, and it doesn't 'wilt' over time either. The arm will turn 90 degrees from end to end without putting a strain on it either, so you should be fine.

The line-out 3.5mm minijack socket at the bottom gives a nice crisp sound. You just flick the two-position switch and use the setting that gives the best sound for your particular car.

I think it's a really good, simple bit of kit - it physically raises the iPod to a level where it's safe and comfortable to use the controls when driving, charges it, and utilises the superior line-out capability. What more do you need? Top banana. :)

Awesome, thanks a lot for the reply. Sounds great. I might see if I can buy one before my trip! If not, I will have something to buy when I return home!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.