Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
I got fed up with safari and I just prefer chrome, adblock actually works, the extension to unblock youtube videos on my country and so on, the thing is while I'm scrolling it stutters like crazy, jank, hiccups ... I had months without using chrome but it wasn't like this! :eek: , are you having similar issues?

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Over the past month I've hated Chrome.

I don't know what has happened. It "stutters" as you say. Scrolling up and down has problems (lags). There is a delay in certain actions, such as going "back" to a previous page, getting a Youtube video to stop, etc. It simply lags and stutters a lot. My connection is 100 Mbps. So, that's not the problem.

This is new - only over the past 1 month or so. Safari flies. Firefox - no problems.

I've tried a 100% fresh reinstall of Chrome, and even my OS. I've tried doing things with flash, disabling hardware acceleration, etc. Nothing works.

I'm using a 13" retina MBP that's about 1 year old.

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
I'm just being paranoid I know, but I kinda feel that this intentional on Google's or on Apple's side, because of the stupid war they have :rolleyes:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I'm just being paranoid I know, but I kinda feel that this intentional on Google's or on Apple's side, because of the stupid war they have :rolleyes:

Chrome isn't all that good on Windows either, so I doubt it's anything to do with Google or Apple having a war.

Interstellar

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2015
Chrome isn't all that good on Windows either, so I doubt it's anything to do with Google or Apple having a war.

Chrome runs much better on Windows for me than it does on OS X, actually.

For OS X I've just resorted to using Safari. It scrolls smoother and it has iCloud support. And it's the same engine anyway so they're both pretty similar in rendering speeds.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

For OS X I've just resorted to using Safari. It scrolls smoother and it has iCloud support. And it's the same engine anyway so they're both pretty similar in rendering speeds.

Chrome on my Surface pretty much turns on my fan instantly, renders pages all zoomed in and only half page occasionally, and kills my battery.

gmintz09

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
Yeah, it is definitely a jarring experience going from Safari to Chrome in terms of scrolling and zooming smoothness. Chrome has some great extensions and features, but it's just not my cup of tea when all things are considered. I prefer a more minimal browser to focus on what I'm reading and looking at. I never had issues like that with Chrome on any PC I had, so maybe it is a compatibility issue between OS X and Chrome. Who knows?

Strang0r

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2012
I too feel I am in the same boat and have finally resorted to Safari today. Chrome was becoming far too frustrating to use.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W

I use Windows at work, a legacy XP rig, Win 7 @ the desk and 8.1 on a six month old core i7 laptop, SSD. Not sure which Version of Windows you've seen 'Chrome run much better on' but in my experience...it's gone WAY to far. It's no longer 'Chrome', it's 'Google Everything!' Seriously. Drive opens, resources immediately disappear...it literally takes your machine OVER! I'm done with it. On iOS however, it's incredibly quick!

*edit to add my personal, home and business are run on OS X and iOS. Solely the '9-5' for Windows but I use it heavily

Last edited:

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
Well this is interesting, I switched to Firefox a couple of days ago and the performance it's almost as bad as chrome's the scrolling feels so "heavy" not smooth at all, what is going on?!!

gmintz09

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
Well this is interesting, I switched to Firefox a couple of days ago and the performance it's almost as bad as chrome's the scrolling feels so "heavy" not smooth at all, what is going on?!!

Not trying to throw out "conspiracy theories" here, but do you think it might be slightly intentional on the part of Apple to make sure that their native web browser works the best? I like Safari either way anyways, but it just makes me wonder. I didn't have those problems with Firefox or Chrome on any PC I've had, but it has been a couple years, so maybe that has changed.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Not trying to throw out "conspiracy theories" here, but do you think it might be slightly intentional on the part of Apple to make sure that their native web browser works the best? I like Safari either way anyways, but it just makes me wonder. I didn't have those problems with Firefox or Chrome on any PC I've had, but it has been a couple years, so maybe that has changed.

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, sorry. All cross-platform applications suffer from performance issues if not optimized well, which is the case here with Firefox and Chrome. Safari on Windows was extremely slow, too.

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, sorry. All cross-platform applications suffer from performance issues if not optimized well, which is the case here with Firefox and Chrome. Safari on Windows was extremely slow, too.
It's pretty silly considering 90% of the people who work at Google use Mac, I would think they would like to optimize their browser for their platform of choice

I haven't really used Windows since 2 years (when I switched to Mac) send chrome worked really well on Windows 7-8 :/

gmintz09

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, sorry.

Thanks for holding yourself back there. :rolleyes: I wasn't saying anything to get attacked, I was just wondering out loud. It's not out of the realm of possibility that a company would do something like that. I never said I believed it to be true, I just was wondering about it. I didn't have problems with Safari on Windows myself and actually used it a lot.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I use Chrome with 100+ tabs open on a 16 GB Sandy Bridge 17" Quad-Core i7 MBP and Mac OS X 10.6.8 without any lag or other problems. Only Firefox and the (old) Safari are slow. I think it is a problem with OS X 10.10.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I think it is a problem with OS X 10.10.

I have to agree. You know I have this text input lag when typing in Safari and it's pretty bad. I never had that before Yosemite but now I just want to shove a stick of Dynamite under the computer.

I was adding a new PCIe SSD blade yesterday and through all the NVRAM/SMC resets, the lag went away.

Today I needed to reboot, and after rebooting it has started up again. I guess I should have never rebooted until it was time to replace the computer.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
I got fed up with safari and I just prefer chrome, adblock actually works, the extension to unblock youtube videos on my country and so on, the thing is while I'm scrolling it stutters like crazy, jank, hiccups ... I had months without using chrome but it wasn't like this! :eek: , are you having similar issues?

I was using chrome on a i7 2700K windows 7 Desktop with 16GB of RAM and 256GB SSD, and it stuttered all the time. It was slower than IE. I just got a rMBP and I use safari, ironically safari on my mac feels better and has no stuttering issues compared to chrome in my windows desktop. I don't think chrome is very efficient. Keep in mind my rMBP only is running a dual core i5 @ 2.7GHz and my desktop was running a quad core @ 3.5GHz. Quite a bit of difference software makes I guess. I really like chromes resizing features rather than safari's constant need to resize with my trackpad, but that's about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.