Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
The reason I've asked this question is because a university I know makes it easy to switch to this major, and it seems intriguing to me. The only problem I see is that not many companies and businesses have adopted nanotechnology/nanoengineering so it is still in the research phases. Regardless, do you think it will be a high demand career field in the future, and if I could chose a related field as my major, should I?

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
The reason I've asked this question is because a university I know makes it easy to switch to this major, and it seems intriguing to me. The only problem I see is that not many companies and businesses have adopted nanotechnology/nanoengineering so it is still in the research phases. Regardless, do you think it will be a high demand career field in the future, and if I could chose a related field as my major, should I?

Its got to be a good field to go into. How could it not be? Everybody wants things to be smaller and smaller (except for tvs and TWSS stuff).

On the other hand, it will lead to the borg takeover.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

This is how you're going to choose your major? By appealing to us?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
You should at least do some basic reading on the field.

For example, start with Drexler's "Engines of Creation". If it sounds like something that might happen in the next 10-20 years, realize that the book was published in 1986, i.e. almost 30 years ago. How much of what it describes has happened?

There are nanotech engineering jobs, but they aren't primarily nanotech. Instead, they're engineering or research at a nanoscale. For example, membranes with nano-scale holes that allow hydrogen ions to pass but block other molecules. That's going to be a chemical or materials engineer.

I'm not saying nanotech won't happen, but predicting a timeline for it is nearly impossible. To paraphrase what someone once said of practical everyday AI (artificial intelligence), it's a technology that's been a decade away for the past half century.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Its got to be a good field to go into. How could it not be? Everybody wants things to be smaller and smaller (except for tvs and TWSS stuff).

On the other hand, it will lead to the borg takeover.

That last part is interesting.

This is how you're going to choose your major? By appealing to us?

Well, not really. I just know there are folks like you guys who've joined this place 10-12 years ago and may possibly have an iota of wisdom.

You should at least do some basic reading on the field.

For example, start with Drexler's "Engines of Creation". If it sounds like something that might happen in the next 10-20 years, realize that the book was published in 1986, i.e. almost 30 years ago. How much of what it describes has happened?

There are nanotech engineering jobs, but they aren't primarily nanotech. Instead, they're engineering or research at a nanoscale. For example, membranes with nano-scale holes that allow hydrogen ions to pass but block other molecules. That's going to be a chemical or materials engineer.

I'm not saying nanotech won't happen, but predicting a timeline for it is nearly impossible. To paraphrase what someone once said of practical everyday AI (artificial intelligence), it's a technology that's been a decade away for the past half century.

I'll look for a copy of this book. It seems intriguing.

I just think I could be in a position to be able to choose where I'd like to take my career.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Most of nanotechnology is still centered strongly around academic basic research. Unless you have a background in a core subject such as biochemistry or physics I wouldn't recommend going the nano route, unless you're very interested in basic research and plan on going that route. It might be a tough sell if you want to do more, as companies prefer to hire people with a certain focus.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Well, not really. I just know there are folks like you guys who've joined this place 10-12 years ago and may possibly have an iota of wisdom.

Well, there's nothing wrong with asking around, although it is difficult to judge the quality of advice you may receive on the internet. chown33's suggestion to read books sounds pretty solid though.

I suppose you may try to engage some of your professors on their outlook, although you should have in mind (in some broad sense) the kind of career you're considering.

Choosing a major seems to be a question I wouldn't pose to the world at large though. You're best positioned to choose what you'll study!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.