Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synapseelim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
sorry for the gimmicky title :) wanted to get some eyes on this. So my neuroscience lab routinely produces Tb of data (I now have to deal with about 20 Tb of data and growing.) Both my professional and home computers are macs and what I am interested in is a way to store my data on a drive connected to the internet (preferably via ethernet). Then I want to be able to access the data from any computer connected online. I think this means NAS (is that right...) I would also like security (password) and as fast as possible upload/download speeds. I have of course tried google but this is slightly more complicated than I had imagined and would love advice....

best and thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Does your lab already have a server and commercial internet connection from your ISP?

The best way to do this is, if you are Mac based and familiar, is to setup a Mac server in your lab, perhaps a mini, with attached TB storage enclosure(s) populated with as many drives as you need. Then set up the server for remote access or web or FTP, whatever you want to use out in the wide world. Internal to the lab, the storage is just shared with computers on the internal lab network.

You can do this with a NAS too, but by the time you spend enough for a NAS that can handle that much data efficiently you could have the better server solution.

Is that what you have in mind?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.