Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The worldwide magazine debut of the Apple Watch continues this week on the cover of fashion magazine Style in the United Kingdom. The cover of the Big Spring Issue for March features model Guinevere Van Seenus wearing an Apple Watch and is accompanied by a two-page spread inside the magazine that provides further details about the wrist-worn device, including an interesting hint about the pricing of space gray models.

Style-Apple-Watch.jpg
A caption in the magazine spotted below model Guinevere Van Seenus claims that the "Apple Watch Sport with 38mm Space Grey aluminum case and black band" will cost $349. The price is notable given that Apple pundit John Gruber of Daring Fireball previously speculated that Apple may charge more for the space gray Apple Watch Sport and space black stainless steel Apple Watch.
"Note that the silver Apple Watch Sport only has four band color choices: white, blue, green, and pink," wrote Gruber. "The space gray Sport edition has only one band: black. I think Apple might charge more for both the space gray Sport model and the space black stainless steel model."
Gruber may still be correct given that the magazine may simply be referencing the $349 starting price that Apple CEO Tim Cook announced during a media event last September. While the Apple Watch Sport will start at $349, the stainless steel Apple Watch has been speculated to cost at least $500 and the luxurious Apple Watch Edition is predicted to cost up to $20,000 depending on the band.

Apple will provide more details about the Apple Watch at its March 9th media event.

Article Link: Apple Watch Debut in 'Style' Suggests Space Gray Pricing May Start at $349

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Makes sense.

In the past, Apple used exclusive colors to promote higher-end products (black MacBook, white iPhone 3G) but you never literally paid more for just a color. They also had better specs.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Makes sense.

In the past, Apple used exclusive colors to promote higher-end products (black MacBook, white iPhone 3G) but you never literally paid more for just a color. They also had better specs.

Actually that black MacBook WAS literally more for just the color: you could BTO the white to match the specs of the black exactly, but the price was still lower. An interesting case, but far and away the exception to Apple's rule: other than that, colors alone haven't cost more.

We can't yet know, but I would not expect the black Watch Sport to cost more (nor less). The iPod Touch costs the same for a silver shell vs. anodized color, for instance, and the Sport is squarely in the mainstream consumer space in a way that the other two lines of Apple Watches are not.

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I guess I'll be getting the space grey sport. I want a sport with a black band and that appears to be the way to get it.

Is the larger watch going to cost more? Like is the 38mm sport $350 and the 42mm $400 or $375??

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Why would a UK magazine list the price in dollars? What was the listed GBP price?

There isn't one yet.

----------

I guess I'll be getting the space grey sport. I want a sport with a black band and that appears to be the way to get it.

Is the larger watch going to cost more? Like is the 38mm sport $350 and the 42mm $400 or $375??

This has literally been discussed to death in the forums. Nobody knows yet. Wait until March 9th.

camsoft

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Brighton, Sussex, UK.
Smells fishy. They could just be speculating so they can price up the entire outfit. The price is part of the image description and not mentioned in the article as far as I can see.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Makes sense.

Except the white iPhone 3G with equivalent storage capacity was priced the same as the black counterpart. Apple doesn't charge different prices for Space Gray, Silver and Gold iPhones of equivalent storage capacity so it isn't surprising that the Space Gray sport model will be priced the same as the silver aluminum sport version.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Why would a UK magazine list the price in dollars? What was the listed GBP price?

I know right? The only way I can currently work out what the $349 model might be, is that Apple currently sell the 2nd Generation iPad mini 2 with 32GB storage for the same price [$349].

Over in our UK Store, that's £279.

Sounds about right to me.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I reckon you'll be able to use any hand with any watch, so depending on price I might settle for an apple watch sport with a link bracelett. Depending on how well they look together.

mikepepe86

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2015
I don't think that's true man...Apple's site specifically has each watch model listed with the available bands for each.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
This would make me so happy. I've wanted the 42 mm Space Black Stainless Steel model as soon as the watch was announced, and I'd love to not pay any more for that

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
I keep thinking the model is Madonna.. Anyways I think that the sizes (38mm & 42mm, which are only .15 inch difference) will cost the same, but the price lineup will be based on the material of the bands you choose. No one can control how big or small their wrists are and it wouldn't seem right having mostly men with larger wrists having to pay more as a result. The bands, on the other hand, almost clearly have some kind of hierarchy. I'm sure the fluoroelastomer one will be the base model, with the leathers likely next (classic before modern since modern has more metal and magnets instead of just a hinge), the milanese loop while the link bracelets will be the higher costing ones (base model +$129).
So roughly $349 for Sport w/ plastic band,
$500 for Regular w/ plastic band, $549 for Regular w/ classic leather buckle, $579 for Regular w/ modern buckle, $599 for Regular w/ milanese loop,
and $629 for Regular w/ link bracelet
Then it's anyone's guess for the edition:
$3999 for Edition w/ plastic band, $4499 for for Edition w/ classic leather buckle, $4999 for Edition w/ modern buckle, and *drumroll* $7499 for (surprise!) Edition w/ 18K gold link bracelet
Prices above are at least my dream lineup. I would love to have a 42mm Apple Watch with Link Bracelet or Milanese Loop, depending on price.

mikepepe86

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2015
I think the poster above is right about the size difference. I don't think Apple is looking at the size difference as MBP 13' and 15' screens. I think its a 'how well this fits me' category and their pricing tiers will stem from the bands and different physical watch faces. It's seems odd for nominal size difference to cost THAT much more in its class when in general it seems the smaller face is geared towards smaller wrists (typically speaking female fitting) and the larger face for larger wrists (typically male fitting)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
What do you mean with "except". You literally repeated his point.

Not really. The same or higher spec'ed black MacBook was more expensive than the white counterpart so it had a "black tax," but 16 gigs white iPhone 3G was priced the same as its black counterpart so no "white tax" here. That's the difference I was alluding to.

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I've wanted the 42 mm Space Black Stainless Steel model as soon as the watch was announced, and I'd love to not pay any more for that
Interesting that nearly everyone one states their preferred configuration wants the Space Black Stainless Steel (including me), yet it's the one Apple features least in their marketing.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
In general a watch with a color band isn't going to match most of the clothes you wear day to day unless you get blue and wear jeans so my guess is they will sell the most of the white or black plastic or black or natural leather and then the various metal bands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.