Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has refreshed its homepage to showcase a gallery of photos taken with iPhone 6 across the world, unsurprisingly coinciding with today's announcements of the Samsung Galaxy S6 and HTC One M9 at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. The gallery shows photos taken by iPhone 6 users in several countries, including the United States, Canada, Japan, Iceland, South Korea, China, Scotland, Indonesia, Thailand and New Zealand.

Apple-World-Gallery-800x434.png

Some of the photos have been filtered, enhanced or shared with apps such as Instagram, Snapseed, VSCO Cam, Mextures, Filterstorm Neue, Camera+ and Adobe Photoshop Express. "People take incredible photos and videos on iPhone 6 every day," writes Apple. "And here are some of our favorites. Explore the gallery, learn a few tips, and see what's possible with the world's most popular camera."

Update 2:00 PM PT: Rene Ritchie at iMore reports that this is just the beginning of an iPhone 6 photography campaign involving 77 photographers, 70 cities and 24 countries. Apple will be featuring photos taken with an iPhone 6 in print media, transit posters and billboards across the world.
"From Sydney to Beijing to San Francisco to New York City to London and more, Apple will feature the iPhone photographers and their work on posters at transit stops and stations and in newspaper ads and on billboards. Not the iPhone 6. Not its camera. Not product shots. But shots taken by the product -- by the iPhone 6 camera."

Article Link: Apple Showcases 'Shot on iPhone 6' World Photo Gallery on Homepage [Updated]

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
i like how they tell you what app's were used if any. loving the Camera only pics...

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
They've obviously done this to promote the iPhone against all the new phones announced today and this week. Clever Apple marketing. Now all they need to do is put OIS into the iPhone 6S this year... I wouldn't buy one without it.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I love how great these cameras are getting! I still remember my gameboy color camera wow things have come a long way.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Most of these shots are obviously taken in well lit conditions, but I'm surprised how they don't seem to suffer that much from the increased NR which has received a fair amount of attention since the introduction of iOS 8.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I love the camera on my iPhone 6 Plus! Thank you, Apple! I'm looking forward to an even better one with the iPhone 6S Plus.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
One of the strengths of the iPhone is the ability to produce good photos in every day situations. It's all round good, not just in certain specific conditions.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
The camera in the iPhone 6 is really great, I'm not denying that. I've achieved some really nice shots on it. My frustration with shooting with my iPhone 6 Plus is that I can't shoot RAW. You end up with somewhat compressed, lossy JPEGs which don't edit well. So you're very restricted with what you can do afterwards. I'm used to shooting RAW with my camera and then having the freedom to make it into exactly what I want in Lightroom. You just can't do that with iPhone shots, you get the photo you take and that's pretty much it. Well, you can apply a bunch of filters with apps like VSCO, but ultimately you still end up with compressed, lossy JPEGs with which you can't do much.

If Apple brings out a phone that shoots RAW, THEN I'll be impressed!

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I love the camera on my iPhone 6 Plus! Thank you, Apple! I'm looking forward to an even better one with the iPhone 6S Plus.

'iPhone 6s Plus'...what a mouthful. I wonder if we'll see some naming changes soon.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
The iPhone camera is great imo, but this page doesn't reflect that. A lot of phones can take these kind of pictures with all the editing apps used.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
The camera in the iPhone 6 is really great, I'm not denying that. I've achieved some really nice shots on it. My frustration with shooting with my iPhone 6 Plus is that I can't shoot RAW. You end up with somewhat compressed, lossy JPEGs which don't edit well. So you're very restricted with what you can do afterwards. I'm used to shooting RAW with my camera and then having the freedom to make it into exactly what I want in Lightroom. You just can't do that with iPhone shots, you get the photo you take and that's pretty much it. Well, you can apply a bunch of filters with apps like VSCO, but ultimately you still end up with compressed, lossy JPEGs with which you can't do much.

If Apple brings out a phone that shoots RAW, THEN I'll be impressed!

You're hard to impress #

But maybe you're using the wrong tool for your purpose?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
To be fair, I can post process any photo to look amazing. I want to see what these look like "out of the box".

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Beautiful. Looking forward to the 6S' camera capabilities.

On a side note, Camera+ let's you take TIFF photos.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
Still rocking a 5s here, and while I do think it's overall the best iPhone Apple has ever made and the camera is amazing, there's no question the 6 shoots an even better image. iPhones just tend to be exceptionally great cameras.

I keep telling myself I'll hold off til the 7, but if the 6s takes the camera as far as the rumours have suggested, I might have a hard time sticking to that plan :)

----------

To be fair, I can post process any photo to look amazing. I want to see what these look like "out of the box".

To be fair, no you can't. The sensor on a camera will determine how much or little processing noise winds up in the photo to compensate for exposure. You start post processing a noisy image and you're going to amplify that noise. The results will not look amazing.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Still rocking a 5s here, and while I do think it's overall the best iPhone Apple has ever made and the camera is amazing, there's no question the 6 shoots an even better image. iPhones just tend to be exceptionally great cameras.

I keep telling myself I'll hold off til the 7, but if the 6s takes the camera as far as the rumours have suggested, I might have a hard time sticking to that plan :)

----------

To be fair, no you can't. The sensor on a camera will determine how much or little processing noise winds up in the photo to compensate for exposure. You start post processing a noisy image and you're going to amplify that noise. The results will not look amazing.
You obviously have never used Lightroom before. Apple admitted themselves that those photos were retouched.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
You obviously have never used Lightroom before. Apple admitted themselves that those photos were retouched.

Huh?

You said any photo can be made to look good with retouching. I said no, depending on the camera a photo can start out too noisy to look good after retouching.

I can't figure out what or why your reply has anything to do with that.

Silveryfruit

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2015
On brand, so much for diversity

It's a shame that with Cook's desire for Apple to be a platform for different human values and acceptance of difference in general, that this photographic portfolio is so limited in vision. Limited in that is, for the most part, only using the public to create images it might have created for use in its own own marketing assets.

The images are generally landscapes, architecture, babies or animals - the easy tick boxes. There is no challenge, no real narrative, and a tendency towards visual beauty rather than human connection.

In other words - pictures many would use for screensavers, or generic images for vision statements.

Obviously there is a strong desire for Apple's consumers to be advocates for the "Apple Way" - but ultimately I think it's a narrow marketing philosophy which limits the company's ability to be truly inclusive - and truly different.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Huh?

You said any photo can be made to look good with retouching. I said no, depending on the camera a photo can start out too noisy to look good after retouching.

I can't figure out what or why your reply has anything to do with that.
Apple said those photo's are not pure, I want to see every one of those photos directly from the lens with no extra processing. They are claiming that the camera can take amazing photos. Sure I could take a out of balanced photo and turn it into something pleasing as well. How many of those photos were retouched in some way.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
The iPhone camera is great imo, but this page doesn't reflect that. A lot of phones can take these kind of pictures with all the editing apps used.

So, well, lets see them then. Seems Samsung should be copying this page if that'S the case... :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.