Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nolimits76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
I recently upgrade from an iPhone 5s to an iPhone 6. Knowing I was going to sell the old phone, I backed up everything and then deleted my iCloud account and then deleted all settings & content.

I thought this was the proper way to do things.

Anyhow, tonight when logging into my iCloud from my MBP, I looked in settings and noticed the 5s still shows up under My Devices (signed in & running iOS 8 or OS X Yosemite). While I can click on each device, there is no way to delete it that I can see. I have went in from my iPhone 6 and deleted the iPhone 5s back from the iCloud server.

I am confused why, and also a little worried as I sold the phone yesterday. I don't want my account or personal data to get hacked or have a problem from the buyer w/ the phone not activating. I'm sure they would have called by now if there was an issue, but I'm still concerned.

Any help & guidance would be most appreciated.

----------

Oh yeah, I might mention when checking under Find My iPhone inside my iCloud account that the 5s does not show up.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
There's a big thread on the Apple support forums about this. Consensus seems to be that there is no way to manually delete it but it should disappear eventually on its own.

nolimits76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
There's a big thread on the Apple support forums about this. Consensus seems to be that there is no way to manually delete it but it should disappear eventually on its own.

Thanks for the help. I think I found the thread you were referencing.

I am cleaning up a few other profiles and enabling 2-step verification as well for extra protection. The most recent posts made it sound like it will remove in about 30 days on its own, unless you call and request a Support Rep do it sooner.

For my own peace of mind I think I will call in and request they go ahead and delete.

Here is a link to the other thread for others experiencing a similar problem:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6555561?start=180&tstart=0

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
If you've signed out of Find My iPhone and your iCloud account on the old phone, and you've Erased All Content and Settings, isn't it now just a matter of going to "My Apple ID" (from your Mac) and select the "Manage your trusted devices" list? I did that when I replaced my 5 with 6 Plus and saw no continued sign of my old iPhone anywhere, including my Mac.

nolimits76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
Maybe I didn't do something when I wiped the phone because I went into the various Apple accounts and cleared out the old iPhone 5s...yet it still shows up in my iCloud account under "My Devices".

The best I can tell, it's an annoyance and not really putting my account or information at danger. I still need to call Apple and ask them to manually remove.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.