Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SidTheBullrider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Probably quite the dumb question, but I have an ORIGINAL iBook with a damaged CDROM drive (which I will be getting repaired, but am momentarily exhausted of funds). I need to reformat, but have neither the original BootCD nor would I have the means of using it if I had it anyway. This is a hand-me-down that I am using for school equipped with tons of junk and needs a clean slate, also the first Apple computer that I have owned since the days of the original original PowerMacs. Anyway sorry for the ramblings, I need help please!

EDIT: To clarify, I was wondering if there was some sort of OS install file I could transport via USB

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
if you had an external usb drive you could install it using that.

You may want to try using a crossover cable and installing using a networked drive.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm pretty sure you can only install the OS from a Firewire drive, not a USB drive. Nevertheless, I think an external drive is your best option too. :)

Alternatively, if you have another Mac you could try installing with Target Disk Mode.

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
The only way that I can think of, is if you tear down the notebook to get at the hard-drive (a very long and difficult process with many screws) and put the harddrive into another apple laptop and install it with that. I also have an original iBook so I know what you're dealing with here with no firewire :-/

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
*Slaps head*

Of course, sorry, I forgot there's no Firewire.

Sorry, I think Maxwell Smart's right. Grab a screwdriver and start pummelling. :eek:

SidTheBullrider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Gracious, I think I could wait until my CDROM drive is repaired now :eek: Yeah the lack of IEEE1394 is nice :(

Thank you all for your help though

While we're all here, I am also having trouble with my AirPort card. It is supposedly compatible with the original iBook, but is it compatible with OS8.6? I found a software installer somewhere (don't rightly remember where) for 8.6, but when I open it up it says it's for 9.0 :confused: anyone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.