Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I was watching a few videos about the new Windows 10 and how it syncs stuff through Windows devices, tablets, etc.

When you think about it, Apple and Microsoft have their own big OS (OS X and Windows 10), which enhances the overall experience if you also have an iOS or Windows Phone device, but Google doesn't have a big OS (I don't think Chrome OS would count...).

So with Windows 10 you get universal apps across devices, notification syncing across devices, new xbox experience, etc.

I have an iMac and an Android phone, but after thinking about all of this I might go one way route only with my next phone and computer OS, to be able to be inside one ecosystem instead of two or three different systems.

What do you guys think? Maybe in the future people will start considering this whole ecosystem thing more and stop buying Android because it's harder to sync automatically with your computer or whatever.

Google still has Gmail, YouTube and some other nice cloud apps, but that doesn't compare to the level of synchronization that can be achieved with OS X or Windows if all your devices are inside the same ecosystem.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Can't you sync a lot of things through Chrome (and Google Now through Chrome) these days?

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I don't care about having my phone and computer using a related OS. Things like continuity and handoff are not particularly appealing to me, and because phone apps are so cheap, I'm not too bothered about universal apps.

I think in the coming years I'll be more concerned about compatibility between my phone and the Internet of Things. Android is well placed here.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I would prefer to be platform agnostic so I can use whatever other tech tickles my fancy. At this point android seems to have the advantage in that respect, as far as mobile OS's are concerned with interoperability with other OS's / tech gadgets.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I would prefer to be platform agnostic so I can use whatever other tech tickles my fancy. At this point android seems to have the advantage in that respect, as far as mobile OS's are concerned with interoperability with other OS's / tech gadgets.
This! Android works perfect with my Macs or PC, vs being tied to a specific device and ecosystem. I broke the Apple eco long ago, hated it.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Can't you sync a lot of things through Chrome (and Google Now through Chrome) these days?

Yeah, Android kind of works with all operating systems, but I'm talking about losing features like continuity, handoff, icloud drive in Mac or Xbox experience and other stuff like that on Windows.

Maybe it can also be seen as an advantage. It's pretty easy to copy stuff to Android from Mac or Windows, or rooting using both systems.

I was thinking it might be a problem if in the future I have a Windows PC, an iPad and an Android phone. It can be done but it could be more annoying trying to have them all synced perfectly and automatically.

I've never been too interested in the whole ecosystem discussion, but after seen those Windows 10 preview videos it's obvious that with every new release these systems are going to be more and more closed, offering more and more features for those inside their respective ecosystem.

And I must say Android is my favorite mobile OS. Everyone knows that, but I'm starting to like all these new exclusive features for OS X or Windows 10 users.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I was watching a few videos about the new Windows 10 and how it syncs stuff through Windows devices, tablets, etc.

When you think about it, Apple and Microsoft have their own big OS (OS X and Windows 10), which enhances the overall experience if you also have an iOS or Windows Phone device, but Google doesn't have a big OS (I don't think Chrome OS would count...).

So with Windows 10 you get universal apps across devices, notification syncing across devices, new xbox experience, etc.

I have an iMac and an Android phone, but after thinking about all of this I might go one way route only with my next phone and computer OS, to be able to be inside one ecosystem instead of two or three different systems.

What do you guys think? Maybe in the future people will start considering this whole ecosystem thing more and stop buying Android because it's harder to sync automatically with your computer or whatever.

Google still has Gmail, YouTube and some other nice cloud apps, but that doesn't compare to the level of synchronization that can be achieved with OS X or Windows if all your devices are inside the same ecosystem.
I don't get where you are coming from. If I use a google app, like say Docs or Calendar or Keep, it is automatically updated everywhere, simultaneously. I don't need to use a specific computer or OS to see the changes.

And with apps like Pushbullet (which is essentially Airdrop like in nature, but more robust), I can have info sent to any platform from any other platform. There is no advantage that I can see OSX or Windows 10 having.

P.S. One thing I like about Windows and Android is that once I pay for an app, it is paid for. I don't have to buy it for the phone, a tablet and a PC. That is pure horsesh...

machtv

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
Yeah, Android kind of works with all operating systems, but I'm talking about losing features like continuity, handoff, icloud drive in Mac or Xbox experience and other stuff like that on Windows.

Maybe it can also be seen as an advantage. It's pretty easy to copy stuff to Android from Mac or Windows, or rooting using both systems.

I was thinking it might be a problem if in the future I have a Windows PC, an iPad and an Android phone. It can be done but it could be more annoying trying to have them all synced perfectly and automatically.

I've never been too interested in the whole ecosystem discussion, but after seen those Windows 10 preview videos it's obvious that with every new release these systems are going to be more and more closed, offering more and more features for those inside their respective ecosystem.

And I must say Android is my favorite mobile OS. Everyone knows that, but I'm starting to like all these new exclusive features for OS X or Windows 10 users.

actually handoff doesn't work as good as the android version. which i might add has been available on android long before apple starting using handoff.
with mighty text which was released in 2011 makes my android phone using chrome work like a mirror for things like texts and even calls. and the beauty of it. is that im not stuck to just using a mac or windows machine. because it works wherever i can use chrome. next time do you homework lol...

correct me if i am wrong but wasn't handoff just released last year? after they copied mighty text:)

seems like apple is in the 2-4year curve when it comes to new tech stuff, maybe in a few more years apple will have VR and wireless charging and true multitasking

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Fwiw I view pushbulletw/ notification mirroring on android as essentially an equivalent to handoff and is platform agnostic. It does not handoff calls but that's okay for me.

Airdroid is another continuity app

I personally use an android phone , iPad, and windows pc myself too and things mesh quite well, but not as sexy as all Apple. I need to read up on this upcoming windows 10 stuff. Though my syncing needs may not be as robust.

The main thing missing for me right now is notification mirroring from android phone to iPad.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Only thing Google is bad at with Android, is getting the majority of users onboard with messaging. Google + seems to be most used for Youtube comments and Hangouts seems to want to take over everything when you try to use it. Google needs to integrated a messenger the same way Apple did with iMessage. Forget trying to get everyone to use messenger apps.

Everything else Google is great. You can be in Google's ecosystem without being in a bubble.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

im syncing my things between android/ios/win/osx all the time and i prefer win/android combination. And the best part is that android is very easy to sync with other devices without odd restrictions or wierd protocols...

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I just use SSH if I need to transfer anything to or from my S3. It's free and completely portable.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I've always used my phone totally separately from my computers, so for me, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Agreed.

I found out that if I am more platform agnostic and use multi-platform apps/services that I see more benefits if everything wasn't so ecosystem dependent.

I really don't have much care for Microsoft's services either other than using Bing to search for videos and their WP apps still lacks way behind. I can't even find a decent Pocket or Yahoo Sports app alternative. Some apps like Viber is worse on WP than on Android.

m98custom1212

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Toledo, Ohio
I use onedrive for everything syncing across my two laptops and work computer keeps everything the same.

Use chrome for bookmarks and apps but Internet Explorer is pretty nice on laptops for the battery life

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I personally use an android phone , iPad, and windows pc myself too and things mesh quite well, but not as sexy as all Apple.

This is me as well.

Each system has its pluses and minuses. I don't want to be tied into a single ecosystem.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Google lets you use their entire ecosystem on any platform because it all works through a browser.

That said I wouldn't mind a bit more integration with Chrome OS, like something similar to Handoff and whatever the OS X feature is that lets you reply to texts from your Mac.

----------

Only thing Google is bad at with Android, is getting the majority of users onboard with messaging. Google + seems to be most used for Youtube comments and Hangouts seems to want to take over everything when you try to use it. Google needs to integrated a messenger the same way Apple did with iMessage. Forget trying to get everyone to use messenger apps.

Everything else Google is great. You can be in Google's ecosystem without being in a bubble.

That's exactly what they tried to do with Hangouts, which is why it was also the default SMS app before they gave up and released Messenger instead.

The problem is when you release any new app to become the "universal" solution you're really just creating yet another app for people to deal with.

standards.png

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Perhaps continuity across everything is important to some but in my world of using Windows PC's, iPads and Android phones I can't say I have ever missed it.

I think Android sync's up pretty well for me overall. I hear some talk about messaging, but really I don't see a miss there. I've never picked up my iPad and wished all my previous text messages from my phone were there or vise-versa.

Perhaps the only time that's happened is when I was iMessaging a buddy from an airplane via my iPass on their wifi network in the sky and when I landed I found he messaged me one last time and I wasn't on my iPad anymore. It wasn't anything important. I blame myself too as normally when I land I would text someone from my phone so they continue the conversation there.

Again, one time in the couple years I've had my Note.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Is there any way of backing up an Android device where it works similarly to iOS when you want to restore to a new device? I have replaced a couple of iPhone's now and the restore is painless. Ten minutes later your new phone looks the same as the old one.

I have never heard of a similar method on Android but would enjoy to be educated on that front. How do people back up and restore devices, app or now standard feature? :)

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Is there any way of backing up an Android device where it works similarly to iOS when you want to restore to a new device? I have replaced a couple of iPhone's now and the restore is painless. Ten minutes later your new phone looks the same as the old one.

I have never heard of a similar method on Android but would enjoy to be educated on that front. How do people back up and restore devices, app or now standard feature? :)

By default Android will backup settings and what apps you have installed to your Google account so all that is restored if you use the same account to set up a new Android device.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
By default Android will backup settings and what apps you have installed to your Google account so all that is restored if you use the same account to set up a new Android device.
So in effect you could get a replacement device, hit restore and it should speed up the ability to get up and running again? It used to be a nightmare when I was last on Android as you would have to use multiple services for backing up contacts, picture/video's etc and then you'd have to go to Google Play and restore all your apps which took about an hour. Plus you would then have to set all your homescreen's up again.

This has always been one of my concerns for if I switched back so it is good to know they have improved. Cheers :)

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
So in effect you could get a replacement device, hit restore and it should speed up the ability to get up and running again? It used to be a nightmare when I was last on Android as you would have to use multiple services for backing up contacts, picture/video's etc and then you'd have to go to Google Play and restore all your apps which took about an hour. Plus you would then have to set all your homescreen's up again.

This has always been one of my concerns for if I switched back so it is good to know they have improved. Cheers :)

In theory yeah. Third party services aren't really needed anymore since Google does it all. Contacts, settings, and apps are all backed up on your Google account.

Whether or not your homescreens would be restored depends on your launcher though, last time I had to store my homescreen I did it through a manual backup on the SD but I was using Nova Launcher. I have no idea if Google Now launcher backs up to the cloud.

SMS messages would also need to be backed up manually if you wanted to keep those. SMS Backup and Restore can do that for you and links to cloud services.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
In theory yeah. Third party services aren't really needed anymore since Google does it all. Contacts, settings, and apps are all backed up on your Google account.

Whether or not your homescreens would be restored depends on your launcher though, last time I had to store my homescreen I did it through a manual backup on the SD but I was using Nova Launcher. I have no idea if Google Now launcher backs up to the cloud.

SMS messages would also need to be backed up manually if you wanted to keep those. SMS Backup and Restore can do that for you and links to cloud services.
That is interesting to know then thanks. I hope Android or the OEM's soon come up with an easier solution as it would be much less faff to just back up the device in one operation. It doesn't sound as bad as it used to be though. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.