Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has launched a worldwide "Shot on iPhone 6" advertising campaign involving 77 photographers, 70 cities and 24 countries, with iPhone 6 photography to be featured in magazines, newspapers, billboards, transit posters and more. The large-scale marketing initiative has started rolling out in several countries across the world this week, including the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Thailand, Malaysia, Tokyo and United Arab Emirates.

Shot-on-iPhone-6-LA-Billboard.jpg
"Shot on iPhone 6" photo on billboard in Los Angeles (via Twitter)
A number of "Shot on iPhone 6" advertisements have begun surfacing on Twitter and Instagram over the past few days, with spots appearing on the back cover of The New Yorker magazine, horizontal posters in London's Euston Square subway station and in the Malaysian city of Bangsar, billboards in Los Angeles and Toronto, the side of a tall skyscraper in Dubai and more.

The-New-Yorker-iPhone-6-800x506.png
"Shot on iPhone 6" photo on back cover of The New Yorker (via Twitter)
The photography campaign began with Apple promoting a world gallery of photos taken with the iPhone 6 on its homepage over the weekend, including photo apps such as Instagram, Snapseed, VSCO Cam, Filterstorm Neue, Camera+ and Adobe Photoshop Express used for editing and filtering. The majority of photos shown provide scenic views of the outdoors, ranging from mountains and deserts to lakes and waterfalls.

Article Link: Apple Launches Worldwide 'Shot on iPhone 6' Ad Campaign Spanning Magazines, Billboards and More

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Really liking this truly global campaign!

But, does anybody know if Apple are crediting these elsewhere then their website?
And also, how are all these photographers contacted?

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
*slow clap*

Well done, Apple and it's fans

* Outta here before the onslaught of meme from the fandroids and anti-Apple fans bashers who continue to hang here jk *

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
What a pity Apple isn't also supporting photographers by continuing to produce professional level software.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
This is very cool but I figured they would be using these advertising $$ on promoting their upcoming watch... Not that they dont have endless money it just seems weird to me haha.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I don't get the VSCOCam UI, I think it's clunky. My fav is still Camera360.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Looking forward to it
Plus

Bio on Tim ...Phil

Lots of amazing minds at apple !

norrismantooth

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Dallas, TX
Am I the only one that doesn't care about Apple's "Made on iPhone 6" campaign? It's advertising (spam). A "look what we did". I haven't even stopped to look at the photos.

Dear Apple: I don't care.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Well, it's really subtle advertising, but I'm beginning think this whole "iPhone" thing will finally take off.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Am I the only one that doesn't care about Apple's "Made on iPhone 6" campaign? It's advertising (spam). A "look what we did". I haven't even stopped to look at the photos.

I also don't care, but I think it has more to do with Apple promoting the iPhone. as something it isn't - professional quality camera.

No professional is selling their Nikon/Canon and relying solely on the iPhone.

That's not to say the iPhone can't take nice photos - particularly when you're using additional hardware (like extra lenses), and photoshopping/filtering the crap out of them.

But these photos really look good because the photographers understand how to control aperture, light, composition, lenses etc. The actual camera itself is not controlling those things. Any idiot with a hammer and chisel won't suddenly start sculpting statues like David.

I think that's why this campaign doesn't really sit right with me. Apple aren't really celebrating the skills of these photographers - they're instead trying to claim credit for those skills and sell the idea that 'you, too, can take photos like this if you just had an iPhone 6'. To me, that's just disrespectful and (I feel) a bit arrogant.

I think the photographers should be credited in the ads rather than just the camera.

But that's just my opinion. I'm sure the campaign will sell millions more phones.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
In two weeks:

"Samsung Launches Worldwide 'Shot on Galaxy S6' Ad Campaign Spanning Magazines, Billboards and More"

:rolleyes:

xoggyux

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I also don't care, but I think it has more to do with Apple promoting the iPhone. as something it isn't - professional quality camera.

That's not to say the iPhone can't take nice photos - particularly when you're using additional hardware (like extra lenses), and photoshopping/filtering the crap out of them.

But these photos really look good because the photographers understand how to control aperture, light, composition, lenses etc. The actual camera itself is not controlling those things. Any idiot with a hammer and chisel won't suddenly start sculpting statues like David.

I think that's why this campaign doesn't really sit right with me. Apple aren't really celebrating the skills of these photographers - they're instead trying to claim credit for those skills and sell the idea that 'you, too, can take photos like this if you just had an iPhone 6'. To me, that's just disrespectful and (I feel) a bit arrogant.

I think the photographers should be credited in the ads rather than just the camera.

But that's just my opinion. I'm sure the campaign will sell millions more phones.
True, but i don't think that's the take home idea its been promoting here (or at least is not from my point of view). More than "this camera is DSLR quality" (which OBVIOUSLY its not even close) i rather see it as "this camera is perfect and more than capable for normal people everyday use, maybe even as an emergency if you happen to be a photographer (whether you are a pro or a amateur photographer) if for some reason you don't happen to have your DSLR and the choice comes to either take it with the phone or not at all.

Replacing DSLR, no, hell no, not even if the picture quality were the same (which its obviously miles away) it still would fall short from the composition point of view.
BUT, this camera (and truely not just the iphones, but really most modern flagship smartphones) makes traditional point and shoot completely redundant. Not long ago my cousin got a sony cybershot point and shoot camera (that cost her parents well over $200 bucks) and that thing shoots far worse pictures than my old iphone 4...
I'd dare to say that unless you want/need the flexibility of interchangeable lens of micro 4/3rds cameras or super zoom cameras, the iphone (or any smartphone really) can be your only camera apart from a DSLR if you are into more serious photography.

Now, a complete "photography ignorant" will probably take far better pictures on the iphone though. I remember my first 1thousand (ish) photos on my first dslr, they were all utter crap because I had no clue how to use all the buttons and ****. So in a way, if you just want photos and know nothing about cameras, iphone might very well be the absolute best camera that you can use.

nortofthe13th

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2014

You're right, basically. And I respect your opinion. But here comes the "but..."
If you actually look at the campaign on Apple's website, it really is celebrating the talent and meticulous nature these photographers have when taking the photographs. It even gives descriptions of the methodology behind each photograph and technique tips.
These campaigns have always been more about using every day tools. Of course you can get way better pictures with a pro camera… But as it has been said before, "Sometimes the best camera is the one you have with you." - and if that one happens to be a great camera… (Note that there are a number of these photos that were simply captured with the Camera app and not altered with the secondary app) Better yet. :apple:
-End of novel- ;)

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto

Yeah, those millions of people are dumb - or they just enjoy having a tool that potentially can help them to create photos of similar quality.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Luckily for you Apple does read these forums and have taken your opinion into consideration, please give them 24-48 hrs to begin removing all ad placements from building, billboards, magazines and online to accommodate you.

Please make me stop laughing :p

----------

:eek:

Wow... that is a nice shoot! What did you use for postediting?

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Extremely taseful ads. A pleasure to see and appreciate how people use these devices. A step up from the typical cell phone ad that feature ambiguous lines, awkward close up shots, and imagery that only works well with techno background music.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Really liking this truly global campaign!

But, does anybody know if Apple are crediting these elsewhere then their website?
And also, how are all these photographers contacted?

They did credit the photographer outside of their website.

Example: New Yorker

Just a side note, for those who managed to think negatively about these ads, think about the feeling of the owners of these photos. Some of them are not even professional. They must be really proud.

Last December, when the Bay Area had one of its rare rainy days, Cielo de la Paz took her kids out to play. She’s an avid photographer, “willing to wake up at five in the morning and hike 10 miles to get that shot of the sunrise,” and when she saw the reflection of her red umbrella on the wet concrete, she knew she had a good one.

“It took a few shots,” she said, “this was the last one I took, I was finally happy with how the wind arranged the leaves for me.”

She edited the shot with Filterstorm Neue, uploaded the picture to Flickr (she was taking part in the photo365 challenge), where Apple found it.

Then, they put it on a billboard.

More stories here.

Last edited:

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London

So no one should advertise anything because it's 'spam' should they?

Honestly...

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle

Then why read this magazine and waste your time posting to it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.