Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I was on a cross country flight a couple days ago and due to travel/weather issues I was annoyingly put in the middle seat on a flight. The person sitting next to me a couple minutes into the flight brought a device out of a case that had a larger ipad screen compared to mine. (I covertly held mine up against hers to check screen size) I had my iphone 6+, ipad air 2 and retina macbook on me. I don't know if it was an ipad Pro or just some sort of random prototype. It was running some sort of variation of 8.x. I did notice that very few apps were running in native resolution. I know she played a lot of garage band which was in native. I did not see any OSX references (sad). The icons were larger than mine but were still crisp and not pixelated. I did inquire about it being larger and was immediately rebuffed with " No it is absolutely not" and after that it was put away and I never saw it again. No words were spoken again. It looked like a larger ipad 3 with those ugly bezels.
16674996626_c458d87550_c.jpg

16699889262_9c633aeaf0_c.jpg

16513537090_0fc1f59df3_c.jpg

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Hmmm. Could it be a large Samsung Android tablet running some sort of iOS skin?

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Hmmm. Could it be a large Samsung Android tablet running some sort of iOS skin?

She was using the same apps and stuff which are a part of ios. Same swipes and it had an identical home button. It looked exactly like an apple product. it was just weird how after I asked about it, I never saw it again.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Wow. Pretty cool. Id definitely like a big iPad.

I was actually disappointed in it. I know Apple sends out ugly prototypes into the field during testing but the bezels are hopefully going to go away. I was holding out hope for an IOS/OSX hybrid (long shot) to be a true competitor to the Surface.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Are you sure the actual LCD panel was larger? Because the bezels on the side of the iPad 2/3/4 were a lot bigger then the Air/Air 2. It also has an older style home button without Touch ID.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Are you sure the actual LCD panel was larger? Because the bezels on the side of the iPad 2/3/4 were a lot bigger then the Air/Air 2. It also has an older style home button without Touch ID.

Yes, I covertly held up my air right next to it and the screen itself was taller and longer. Trust me I analyzed it the best I could without being creepy.

----------

That was confusing me as well how it had the old style button.

chiguimania

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
Dude that's amazing! Great undercover work lol... MR should put this on their front page

MCSN

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2012
Kayenta
it might be an earlier iPad as stated b4, because the one I've seen in the promos have way thinner bezels. concur on the touch ID. plus that case does not look anywhere near this era. poor lady thought you were after her apple products lol. :p

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Yes, I covertly held up my air right next to it and the screen itself was taller and longer. Trust me I analyzed it the best I could without being creepy.

Idk if just doesn't seem right to me. It looks like that case is made specially for that iPad from a 3rd party manufacturer. Plus the cut outs in the case are identical to one for the older iPads. The location of the speaker, location of the dock connector (this case looks wide enough for 30-pin connectors).

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
it might be an earlier iPad as stated b4, because the one I've seen in the promos have way thinner bezels. concur on the touch ID. plus that case does not look anywhere near this era. poor lady thought you were after her apple products lol. :p

I have heard they send out test devices in crappy cases and adjust their looks so they are not easily detected. What was weird is that the woman put it away the minute I referenced it. I really don't know if it was the Pro but it did have a larger screen.

----------

Idk if just doesn't seem right to me. It looks like that case is made specially for that iPad from a 3rd party manufacturer. Plus the cut outs in the case are identical to one for the older iPads. The location of the speaker, location of the dock connector (this case looks wide enough for 30-pin connectors).

It did not have a 30pin but had the lightning connector.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Who cares.

HOW THE HELL DO YOU HAVE THAT MUCH LEG ROOM!?

Ha, I won the lotto and was placed in an emergency exit row.

----------

I am all for disproving me but her icons were larger and still crisp. My air 2 icons were much smaller.

MCSN

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2012
Kayenta
true that on the leg room. lol

well you were right next to her. you may have seen one.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
That is quite clearly an iPad 2/3/or 4.

I don't care how "covertly" you held your iPad Air next to it, that's not an iPad Pro in the wild. Even looking at the size of the iPhone 6 on top of it as well as the size of it on the shelf (most planes with seats in that class have near identical dimensions) it looks the exact same as my wife's iPad 4 when hers was resting on one of those during our flight to Sorrento.

Your eyes played a trick on you because you have an Air. The icons on a bigger screen iPad won't be larger, it'll be a higher resolution display and like the iPhone 5 and 6 before it, the icons will remain the same size and simply allow more apps per row and have more rows.

As for putting it away when you kept being creepy and checking out her gear, I personally would have told you to get lost and give me peace to enjoy my flight.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
That is quite clearly an iPad 2/3/or 4.

I don't care how "covertly" you held your iPad Air next to it, that's not an iPad Pro in the wild. Even looking at the size of the iPhone 6 on top of it as well as the size of it on the shelf (most planes with seats in that class have near identical dimensions) it looks the exact same as my wife's iPad 4 when hers was resting on one of those during our flight to Sorrento.

Your eyes played a trick on you because you have an Air. The icons on a bigger screen iPad won't be larger, it'll be a higher resolution display and like the iPhone 5 and 6 before it, the icons will remain the same size and simply allow more apps per row and have more rows.

As for putting it away when you kept being creepy and checking out her gear, I personally would have told you to get lost and give me peace to enjoy my flight.

Thank you for your opinion, it wasn't as creepy as I made it out to be. Also it did not have a 30 pin so that gets rid of 2/3 possibilities. The icons were actually bigger for some reason. I had the same doubts but I was matching icons on both screens and hers were definitely noticeably bigger. I figured it had something to do with the new resolution. In the end we will see when the final product comes out.

Last edited:

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
That looks exactly like an iPad 4. I think the size is confusing you, if you're using an iPad Air. The bezels do make the older models look huge.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I agree, it looks just like an iPad 4 with a typical ugly 3rd party leather case.

Then again, maybe she sourced a leather case from those Chinese sites that produce cases before products ship. And also got that new "Diet Coke Pro" which is larger than the regular 1000ml bottles.

Really, people enjoy flying commercial?

I always heard when testing Apple puts there products in unassuming cases so they don't draw attention.

I am all for calling it an ipad 4 except for the icons and screen size were larger compared to my air 2. My icons seemed tiny in comparison. Yes, I know the bezel will make the ipad 4 look larger but in the end if only I had a ruler out this mystery would be solved!

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
Unfortunately I think you saw an iPad 4 at an angle that made it look like it could be a larger tablet. The scale of the other objects around it give it away. Although I have to admit the first picture had me thinking you could be right for a few minutes.

It's a shame because it really would have been something to see one out in the wild. Proof that it not only exists, but that it was in testing. Alas we shall have to wait in hope of such a device for a while longer...

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Thank you for your opinion, it wasn't as creepy as I made it out to be. Also it did not have a 30 pin so that gets rid of 2/3 possibilities. The icons were actually bigger for some reason. I had the same doubts but I was matching icons on both screens and hers were definitely noticeably bigger. I figured it had something to do with the new resolution. In the end we will see when the final product comes out.

It's an iPad 4 and the viewing/seating angle made you think it was bigger.

The icons on an iPad Pro won't be larger. While the icons on the iPad mini went smaller due to the smaller screen, when an iOS device has received a screen size bump the icons have remained the same size allowing more icons and rows per page.

You seen an iPad 4, this entire thread is ridiculous.

----------

I agree, it looks just like an iPad 4 with a typical ugly 3rd party leather case.

Then again, maybe she sourced a leather case from those Chinese sites that produce cases before products ship. And also got that new "Diet Coke Pro" which is larger than the regular 1000ml bottles.

Really, people enjoy flying commercial?

I enjoy the experience of flying yes, especially because I'm visiting other countries. What's "commercial"? I'm not from the United States.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
It also lacks TouchID...So I would say it's not the iPad Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.