Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Swedish car manufacturer Koenigsegg is known for its high-priced luxury sports cars, often called hypercars. At the Geneva Motor Show today, Koenigsegg showed off its latest car -- an ~1,800 horsepower hybrid vehicle with built-in support for Apple's CarPlay service.

Called the Regera, which translates to "to reign" in Swedish, the car can go from 0 to 250 miles per hour within 20 seconds, and it tops out at a speed of 255 miles per hour. It's equipped with a 5.0-litre twin-turbo V8 engine along with three electric motors. One motor replaces the standard transmission with the Koenigsegg Direct Drive system, and there's a motor dedicated to each rear wheel.

regeratopdown-800x499.jpg
Inside, the Regera is equipped with an infotainment system that includes a 9-inch infrared zForce Neonode touchscreen, which is said to offer superior touch performance and multi-touch gestures. The infotainment system is compatible with Apple's CarPlay, letting Regera buyers connect their iPhones to their cars to access all of CarPlay's features.

regeracarplay-800x422.jpg
The Koenigsegg Regera is priced at $1,890,000, and only 80 of the cars will be produced. The version being shown off at the Geneva Motor Show is the first in the series, and is said to be 95 percent complete.

A long list of automobile manufacturers have signed up to partner with Apple and introduce CarPlay in upcoming vehicles, but thus far, Ferrari is the only brand that has produced a car that's available with CarPlay -- the $300,000 Ferrari FF. Audi, Volkswagen, and Hyundai have all promised that CarPlay-compatible cars will be available in 2015, and there are a number of aftermarket CarPlay solutions from Alpine and Pioneer that are currently available for purchase.

Article Link: Luxury Sports Car Brand Koenigsegg Announces New Regera Hypercar With CarPlay Support

shrivatsasomany

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2015
Sports car?

Serious note: This is awesome news!

Nitpick:
Macrumors, please. A car that goes from 0-248mph in under 20 seconds cannot be degraded by being called a "sports car." How about "SUPERMEGAHYPER-GONNAKILLYOU car?"

Funduro

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
Putting in an order for one, but first . . . .

I gotta visit several banks and make hasty withdrawals. ;)

Oh boy 1,800HP!!! I wonder what the insurance rates are going to be for that speed demon?

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Other than the aftermarket units, is CarPlay active yet in any stock in-dash systems on the road? Yes, many mfgs have announced but ive seen no news on cars shipping with it yet.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Other than the aftermarket units, is CarPlay active yet in any stock in-dash systems on the road? Yes, many mfgs have announced but ive seen no news on cars shipping with it yet.

Yes, the article says the Ferrari FF has it. :)

thus far, Ferrari is the only brand that has produced a car that's available with CarPlay -- the $300,000 Ferrari FF

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Called the Regera, which translates to "to reign" in Swedish, the car can go from 0 to 250 miles per hour within 20 seconds, and it tops out at a speed of 255 miles per hour.

That, combined with:

0i6vFaZ.gif

has only increased the safe feeling I get while driving.

Last edited:

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014

Oh boy 1,800HP!!! I wonder what the insurance rates are going to be for that speed demon?

Maybe you could extend Apple Care to cover the whole car. $99 wouldn't be too bad.

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
This car is seriously insane!

I found a short video from todays Auto Show in Geneva of the interior, giving a short glimpse of CarPlay on the 9 inch system.

Notice that it says "Powered by Neonode" in one of the screens. This 9 inch system actually looks great, and seems to be similar or the same to the one used in the new 2016 Volvo XC90 SUV.

Edit: Read the press release, how about that endorsement of the touchscreen tech from the Koenigsegg CEO:

"We only work with the highest performing systems on the market and chose the Neonode zForce touchscreen because of the superior touch performance and optical properties it enables”, says Christian von Koenigsegg , Founder and CEO of Koenigsegg.

System looks really cool and the car is a transformer supercar? Please Santa Claus. :)

Last edited:

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010

Meh just call an insurance carrier who covers private jets to get a real life idea:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.