Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffball610

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
I am a teacher and I'm pretty decent with Microsoft products. I never understood why the Mac version was so different from the Windows version, but now I'm completely lost.

I created a document to teach specific skills to students and there seems to be an issue. On my computer, which happens to have the same disk image as the students, I have the option of creating a document at an Index card size. The students do not have this option for some reason leaving them unable to create the document without working around the interface and creating a "custom" paper size. What is the issue here?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzc29VlTIXhUVmpaaDRaR0hIMnc/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzc29VlTIXhUbm9zWUJ6T1hmNmc/view?usp=sharing

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Simple to explain - you and your students are not connected to the same printer OR the same printer paper cartridge OR the same custom Print Setup settings, the latter of which are not embedded in a document unless it's a Template.

I have 3 printers - a desktop laser, a desktop MFP, and an office laser - the settings for each are independent and I have to either connect to one or use the Print Setup dialog to "create" my custom documents when I want one.

I'll create a document from a custom Template when I want document settings to carry from myself to another person. QED.

jeffball610

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
That might explain it, except we are all connected to the same printer.

I believe I may be connected to other printers on the network, but I'm not sure how those would effect my settings when I don't print to them.

So what is the solution? Do I have students "attempt" to print so that the printer settings magically fix Word? I'm not quite seeing how a printer can embed settings into an application.

The screenshots I linked are from the Layout tab under Size. These are not print settings.

MLinneer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Sherman, TX
The available layouts are determined by the profile for the selected printer. Go into File > Page Setup and select the printer from the 'Format For' dropdown menu.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
That might explain it, except we are all connected to the same printer.

I believe I may be connected to other printers on the network, but I'm not sure how those would effect my settings when I don't print to them.

So what is the solution? Do I have students "attempt" to print so that the printer settings magically fix Word? I'm not quite seeing how a printer can embed settings into an application.

The screenshots I linked are from the Layout tab under Size. These are not print settings.
Read what MLinneer posted, it's a start.

In order to achieve what you are seeking, I create a Template - basically, a customized Word document saved as a Template, but I specifically dictate which printer to use on my network so that when it's opened by another user that specific printer is selected. All of the other information - paper size, font, styles - is also embedded in the Template.

On a network, printers go to sleep or have maxed out connections - so my way of doing it ensures that Word doesn't choose another printer.

Also, I recommend considering going to each computer and in the Printers & Scanners System Preference Pane select a Default Printer (by Control/Right-clicking on the printer you want to use) - which might be a problem in a mixed-user environment, and why I embed which printer to use directly in some of my Template files (as I have several employees and also have clients that drop in to use my printers...).

At a minimum - create a document format (size, margins, styles, layout) that suits you, and it sounds like you have already done that. Then, save your document as a Template - in the .docx format, which is an easily-editable XML file. If the printer that your recipients are connected to is capable of printing out that size, then you're go to go - your 3"x5" document will stay the same size. If they're only viewing and/or editing the 3"x5" document, then you're also good to go. I've found that "normal" Word documents follow the "Normal.dot" Template by default - so a "normal" file tends to be "forced" into the "Normal.dot" format. So, creating a new template file that looks exactly the way you want it viewed is the path you need to follow - and that's not just a Mac Office issue as I've had to deal with this since Word 97(Win)/98(Mac). The newer XML-based .dotx files are much easier to deal with if editing XML doesn't intimidate you.

Create a new 3"x5" Template file, and you should be fine...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.