Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamB11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2014
Cornwall
Hi all, Today i spotted a small chip in the middle of the screen on my mac. It looks as if somethings either flicked up and hit it or ive closed the lid on to something pointy that was on the keyboard. Either way its marked the screen and now that I know its there its really bugging me. The laptop isn't a year old yet (Bought June last year, and i've also got it insurance on it that covers accidental damage, so any repairs shouldn't hurt my wallet. Im using the laptop now to type this and the mark can only be seen from certain angles so i dont think its actually damaged any pixels. Is the retina screen all one part or is there a cover that goes over it which would just be replaced instead? Thanks.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
All one part...

Hi all, Today i spotted a small chip in the middle of the screen on my mac. It looks as if somethings either flicked up and hit it or ive closed the lid on to something pointy that was on the keyboard. Either way its marked the screen and now that I know its there its really bugging me. The laptop isn't a year old yet (Bought June last year, and i've also got it insurance on it that covers accidental damage, so any repairs shouldn't hurt my wallet. Im using the laptop now to type this and the mark can only be seen from certain angles so i dont think its actually damaged any pixels. Is the retina screen all one part or is there a cover that goes over it which would just be replaced instead? Thanks.

In fact if apple do the work they'll just replace the whole lid...

Suspended
Apr 7, 2013
Accept it because you'll continue to accumulate more, I have 6 in the span of 3 years. Replacing the screen will contribute to producing more waste on Earth and energy consumption. Also it means your replacing a screen even though it's still fully functional. It seems VERY wasteful.

Last edited:

TheMacNinja

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
Albany, NY

To answer your question, Yes the Retina LCD is all one part- unlike earlier models of MBP's whereas there were both the glass screen and LCD underneath. It is more efficient to just work with it as it is, than to take any action. Repair would be very costly, even if your insurance is paying it may still hurt your future rates/deductibles, unnecessarily.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009

It is what is known as a pressure mark.

It's an expensive fix (£500+), and your insurance might not cover it as it is still functional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.