Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
the fan on my FX 5500 seized up. here is a image of the exact card i have:
14-143-032-09.jpg

can anyone suggest me the style of fan or heatsink/fan to put on this thing?

This is the card out of my HP. Could the seized fan be the reason for lagging video?

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
the fan on my FX 5500 seized up. here is a image of the exact card i have:
can anyone suggest me the style of fan or heatsink/fan to put on this thing?

This is the card out of my HP. Could the seized fan be the reason for lagging video?

You can simply replace the fan with any other fan of similar size.

Before replacing it, first try to oil it.
Unscrew whatever screws or fasteners are required to get the fan off
Then gently pull off the propellor
It may take a lot of force so just gently wiggle it around while pulling it up until it comes off.
Then put a drop of oil in the hole in the middle where the shaft goes. Use 3-1 or something like that, WD-40 may be too <opposite of viscous>.
Push the propellor back on and reassemble. Then test.
If it doesn't work then you probably need to replace it.

On this page is the same card as yours, but it has more images:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1520540

And here is a side view of the GPU:
B52_1022_a.jpg

Now I see that the fan sits inside a "cage" of heatsink. This may be tricky to find a replacement, or you could replace the heatsink too.
You could probably try a 40mm fan, if that is the same size as this fan.
Then cut the enclosure of the fan until you only have the support bars to hold the motor.
Then craft a way to attach it to the heatsink.

If you have the space, you could just put the 40mm fan on top of it.

You could also try a blower/centrifugal/laptop fan. Maybe have the propellor inside the cage, or have the entire fan assembly on the side of the cage.

But because of this weird design it will be rather difficult. Can the heatsink be replaced?

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
I found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wholesale-N...782?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c79690926
It might work

Here's the specs of this:
Fan frame diameter: 45 mm
Fan thickness:10 mm
Screw distance:42mm
Net Weight: 12g
Color: transparent
Voltage: DC 12V/0.19A
With a 2-pin female connector
Cable Length: about 100mm

Check your heatsink if this would fit.

------------------------

And found another one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Coolin...670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54151b225e

This one looks more similar to your fan.
Here is the specifications of this fan:
1. Rated Voltage: DC 12V
2. Connector: 2 Pin connector
3. Noise: 11dB
4. Rated Speed: 2500RPM
5. Fan Dimensions: 3.5 x1cm / 1.38 x 0.39inch(D x H)
6. Cable Length: 10cm/3.94inch
6. Color: Transparent
7. Weight: 8g/0.28oz
8. Life Span: 50000 hours

Attachments

• $(KGrHqN,!rkFGVYQjLwqBRnHN1Z!+Q~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqN,!rkFGVYQjLwqBRnHN1Z!+Q~~60_57.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 49
  • $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 59

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014

Perhaps, but you'd need to measure the dimensions of the existing heatsink. use a ruler and measure the width, and see if it matches the width of the new heatsink. If they match then chances are very good it would fit. If it doesn't fit, or not well, you can always craft a mount to make it fit.

----------

Have you found your camera phone yet? I'd like to see a picture of that card :D

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Perhaps, but you'd need to measure the dimensions of the existing heatsink. use a ruler and measure the width, and see if it matches the width of the new heatsink. If they match then chances are very good it would fit. If it doesn't fit, or not well, you can always craft a mount to make it fit.

----------

Have you found your camera phone yet? I'd like to see a picture of that card :D

By visualizing the card could fit a heatsink the size of the heatsink on the Apple Radeon 9000 card

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
By visualizing the card could fit a heatsink the size of the heatsink on the Apple Radeon 9000 card

Ok but that card looks like it uses adhesive thermal paste for the heatsink instead of screws.

So do you have your answer?
Do you know what to do?

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Ok but that card looks like it uses adhesive thermal paste for the heatsink instead of screws.

So do you have your answer?
Do you know what to do?

the HSF is held in by plastic spring clips not unlike the Apple GeForce 4 MX's heatsink i even thought of putting the 4MX HS on it. However the caps get in the way

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
the HSF is held in by plastic spring clips not unlike the Apple GeForce 4 MX's heatsink i even thought of putting the 4MX HS on it. However the caps get in the way

Ok so you'd probably need to buy the smaller heatsink+fan you linked.

It would be better to replace only the fan but that may be difficult to figure out. If you can take out the fan and take pictures of it and measure it, and if it matches the dimensions of one of those fans I linked, then you can use that!

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
Ok so you'd probably need to buy the smaller heatsink+fan you linked.

It would be better to replace only the fan but that may be difficult to figure out. If you can take out the fan and take pictures of it and measure it, and if it matches the dimensions of one of those fans I linked, then you can use that!

i have actully had the fan out before to clean it. The "Grille" of the HS is held in by 2 tiny eyeglass sized screws. The fan is then held in by 3 even smaller eyeglass sized screws that are only like 1mm long. but the problem is with the design of this HSF is it was never really that good it always ran hot ever since it was new.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
i have actully had the fan out before to clean it. The "Grille" of the HS is held in by 2 tiny eyeglass sized screws. The fan is then held in by 3 even smaller eyeglass sized screws that are only like 1mm long. but the problem is with the design of this HSF is it was never really that good it always ran hot ever since it was new.

Ok so have you fixed it yet? Any other Questions? Or is this resolved?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.