Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thijs Moonen

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Hi,

I have a question that seems very simple but might be more complicated.

There's a series of photographs that I need to resize to a certain file size. The photos are in CMYK and 300 dpi and their native size is around 16 mb.

So the givens are CMYK, 300 dpi, and a file size of say 1.1 MB. Is there a way that, in Preview.app or Photoshop.app I can ask the program to resize the picture to meet those givens?

Thanks,

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
It's easy to do in Photoshop. Go under Image/Image Size and type in the dimensions and resolution you want.

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
I think one of those three will have to be a variable... so probably no.

I'm very likely wrong but i don't think so.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Hi,

I have a question that seems very simple but might be more complicated.

There's a series of photographs that I need to resize to a certain file size. The photos are in CMYK and 300 dpi and their native size is around 16 mb.

So the givens are CMYK, 300 dpi, and a file size of say 1.1 MB. Is there a way that, in Preview.app or Photoshop.app I can ask the program to resize the picture to meet those givens?

Thanks,

You would need to be saving the file in a compressible format (e.g. JPEG, ...) if you want to maintain the same number of pixels (read: same reproduction size in inches at 300 pixels per inch). The full version of Ps running on OSX or Windows would allow you to "Save for Web and Devices..." and in that dialog you can adjust the JPEG compression until it reports that the file will be the size you want.

With Ps's regular File>Save... function you can also adjust JPEG compression but the dialog doesn't provide the size predictions so it is more a trial-and-terror process of saving, looking at the resulting file size, and resaving again at a different compression... . Also, the Ps File>Save... JPEGs are larger for the same image quality/compression than files created by the File>Save for Web and Devices... function. The latter strips out proprietary Ps data (e.g. guides, certain app settings, ...) that are embedded in the file when using File>Save...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.