Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

IPSW-250x250.png
After initially reporting that iOS 8.2 would be released to the public this week, BGR now claims that the upcoming software update will arrive next week as Apple decided to seed one last beta to employees and carrier partners for testing. The final GM carries a build number of 12D508 and includes Health app improvements, stability enhancements and bug fixes.

While the initial report was incorrect, this new timeframe appears more plausible given Apple's upcoming "Spring Forward" media event for the Apple Watch on March 9. Apple also promised that a fix would be prepared by next week for the recently discovered "FREAK" security vulnerability affecting devices such as the iPhone, iPad and Mac. The security flaw was disclosed to Apple well in advance of the public.

The release notes for iOS 8.2 outline several improvements to Apple's stock Health app, including the ability to select units of measurement for body temperature, weight, height, distance and blood glucose. The software update also delivers stability enhancements for Mail, Flyover in Maps, Music, VoiceOver and Made for iPhone hearing aids.
Health App improvements

Adds the ability to select the unit of measurement for body temperature, weight, height, distance, and blood glucose
Improves stability when dealing with large amounts of data
Includes the ability to add and visualise workout sessions from 3rd-party apps
Addresses an issue that may have prevented users from adding a photo in Medical ID
Fixes units for vitamins and minerals
Fixes an issue where Health data wouldn't refresh after changes data source order
Fixes an issue where some graphics showed no data values
Adds a privacy setting that enables turning off tracking of steps, distance, and flights climbed
A number of bug fixes have been made in iOS 8.2, including a long-awaited fix for the so-called "GMT bug" causing calendar syncing issues for several iPhone and iPad users. Google quietly fixed the GMT bug on their backend early last month, but Microsoft Exchange calendar users have still been experiencing syncing issues. Other bug fixes are outlined in the full release notes shared in the MacRumors discussion forums.

iOS 8.2 will also include support for the Apple Watch ahead of its launch in April.

Article Link: iOS 8.2 to Launch Next Week as Final Beta Seeded to Employees and Carrier Partners

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Yeah, yeah, support for Apple Watch on iPhone 5 and higher.

Give us 8.3 already, that one has the noticeable performance improvements.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I hope it fixes the top bar overlay bug that appears overs over safari pages, and the bug where if you go to re-arrange your apps or delete one then your iPhone/iPad will crash if you tap on the same app icon you held to start the rearranging.
Neither of these are listed on the bug fixes.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Nice!

I'm waiting for iOS 8.3 to be released, so I'm eager for them to clear 8.2 out of the pipeline.

What makes 8.3 such a better release than 8.2? For developers: Swift 1.2. In my opinion, it is only now that Swift is actually becoming usable. Unfortunately we'll need to wait for 8.3 to go final before we can deploy Apps using it to the AppStore (even though they will be compatible down to 7.0).

Grahamps

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
3rd Party Keyboards?

I've all but stopped using the keyboards I downloaded. It's frustrating when I try to perform routine searches or send messages and no keyboard comes up.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
How about fixing spotlight search. I swear I type something and the "search web" option is not there around 80% of the time.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
Perhaps a fix for the WiFi issue?? No amount of restoring/WiFried is helping =(

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
My gut was telling me 8.2 GM for devs only after the event on Monday, will contain the Apple Watch companion app and the companying Fitness app. And devs can begin submitting app updates with WatchKit APIs to be ready for launch. Then a week or so before the Watch launches, 8.2 will go live for everyone.

But I'm probably wrong and welcome the live update after the event.

moophone

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
No kidding. This should be at the top of their fix list, I'll be very disappointed if its not addressed in 8.2

I've all but stopped using the keyboards I downloaded. It's frustrating when I try to perform routine searches or send messages and no keyboard comes up.

devsfan1830

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
VA
Music stability? I hope that means I can go back to using my phone in my car again. Audio playback via USB has been buggy as hell since I got my iPhone 6. I have a 2014 car with Chevy MyLink and even though it indexes my music properly and shows every track, I am entirely unable to play an album in track order. Every time it advances to the next song there's a long pause, then it jumps to a random track. And yes, I am certain shuffle is off. When I watch the music app on the phone as it advances tracks it kicks back out of Now Playing, the top right Now Playing button flashes on and off like the app is wigging out until it settles on some random spot. Only happens when controlled by my car, works just fine on headphones. Worked fine on my iPhone 5 with iOS 7, worked fine with an old iPod i borrowed, works fine with the same music on a USB drive. Actually works fine over bluetooth but I dont like using it since I cant access music listings via the dash and I'd rather not screw with my phone while driving. Plus they even did something to bluetooth to make my cars BT to lock up every now and again. Basically if it ever disconnects while driving, it will never reconnect until I shut off the car and kill power to the stereo. Something got borked in iOS8 and since there has been no update to my car's system, Apple better have gotten it fixed.

heeloliver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2014
Glad to see health improvements before 9.0. Although this means the Watch (along with 8.3) won't be released for at least a couple weeks :mad:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
After guessing wrong a blog tried to guess once again...

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Yeah, yeah, support for Apple Watch on iPhone 5 and higher.

Give us 8.3 already, that one has the noticeable performance improvements.

Haven't tried 8.3, does it have noticeable performance improvements? Right now the 8.2 doesn't seem to have any of it at all.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
But will it stop my 32GB iPhone 6+ from occasionally restarting when I double click the home button

Too bad Apple didn't make a 32GB 6plus. I would have bought that but I guess I'm glad I ended up with 64GB. I have found more ways to use the space.

X-X

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
We're at 8.2 now...

...and the timer display on the lock screen still shows 00:00 while a timer is actually still running.

Maybe someday in 2017 I will be able to see the remaining time of my timer instead 00:00.

HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO FIX THAT APPLE?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Running latest 8.2 beta...

Timer seems to work fine. What are the steps to reproduce?

We're at 8.2 now...

...and the timer display on the lock screen still shows 00:00 while a timer is actually still running.

Maybe someday in 2017 I will be able to see the remaining time of my timer instead 00:00.

Attachments

• IMG_1629.PNG
    IMG_1629.PNG
    773.6 KB · Views: 145

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
We're at 8.2 now...

Can't say I've noticed this issue in any of the iOS 8.x releases and I use the timer pretty much every day when cooking...

Definitely working in 8.3b2...

Update: Arrgh! zorinlynx beat me to it...

Attachments

• IMG_5217.PNG
    IMG_5217.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 130

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I'm hoping for:

Health App improvements
  • Fixes an issue where the whole Health app is a major disappointment that looks like it was written by an intern in about 10 minutes and only seems to sync data when it feels like it and even then seems to get it wrong half the time

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can't say I've noticed this issue in any of the iOS 8.x releases and I use the timer pretty much every day when cooking...

Definitely working in 8.3b2...

Update: Arrgh! zorinlynx beat me to it...
It's been around since iOS 7 as I recall. Only seems to affect regions outside of North America when using 12-hour clock, as I recall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.