Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Gold-Apple-Watch-250x255.jpg
Apple design chief Jonathan Ive recently discussed the meticulous process that went into creating the Apple Watch in a new profile with Financial Times. Ive describes the Apple Watch as "the most personal product" that Apple has ever made, with "thousands and thousands of hours of evaluation and testing" invested into the device.
"Even now, when the design of the Apple Watch is incredibly mature and has gone through thousands and thousands of hours of evaluation and testing, we're still working and improving. You are trying to keep everything fluid for as long as possible because everything is so interconnected. The best products are those where you have optimized each attribute while being very conscious of other parts of the product's performance."
The iconic designer adds that he appreciates the convenience afforded by the Apple Watch, describing the wrist as the perfect place for the technology. The device, for example, will have a Glances feature on the watch face that delivers real-time information such as weather, stock quotes and upcoming calendar events without needing to take your iPhone out of your pocket.
"One of the things that struck me," says Ive, "was how often I'd look at my watch and have to look again quite soon afterwards, because I hadn't actually comprehended what the time was. If I had looked at something on my phone, because of the investment involved in taking it out of my pocket or my bag, I would certainly pay attention. I quite like this sense of almost being careless and just glancing. I think for certain things the wrist is the perfect place for this technology."
In what could be amounted to a mistake, the profile claims that both the anodized aluminum Apple Watch Sport and stainless steel Apple Watch will start at $349. It has been widely speculated that the stainless steel Apple Watch would have a starting price of at least $499, especially given that the mid-tier model is equipped with a sapphire crystal display. The report speculates the Apple Watch Edition will start at around $4,500.
"He runs through the three ranges of Apple Watch with their different materials - the stainless-steel Apple Watch, the anodised-aluminium Apple Watch Sport (both from $349) and the Apple Watch Edition in 18ct yellow or rose gold (with an as yet unconfirmed price of around $4,500)."
Ive's so-called "fanatical" attention to detail extends beyond the Apple Watch to the packaging of the wrist-worn device. The box for the Apple Watch Edition in particular will be crafted from premium materials, including aniline-dyed leather on the outside and an ultra-suede material on the inside. The small box is capable of charging the Apple Watch and its bottom half slides out based on friction, similar to past iPhone, iPad and iPod packaging.
"We didn't want the packaging to be a sort of shorthand for value, where the box needs to be big and we have to include expensive materials. We've always liked the idea that if we are heavy in our thinking, we can be much lighter in the implementation. So there's huge virtue, I think, in keeping the packaging small: at least, it is the right choice environmentally, it's easier to move things around and you don't end up with your wardrobes full of large watch boxes that you don't use."
Apple is expected to provide more details about the Apple Watch at its highly-anticipated "Spring Forward" media event on March 9th in San Francisco. Ahead of time, the company has been working closely with developers in a top-secret lab to create what will be some of the first apps for the wrist-worn device. Apple Watch will be available in April starting at $349 for the entry-level model.

Update: Apple has confirmed to MacRumors that FT's statement regarding both aluminum and stainless steel versions starting at $349 is incorrect.

Article Link: Jony Ive Discusses Design of Apple Watch in Latest Interview

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Jony Ive flatters himself for an unreleased unproven product, more news at 11.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
He can design the Watch... But certainly not the interface of OS X... Yosemite is ****...! :mad:

Chad-VI

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
"One of the things that struck me," says Ive, "was how often I'd look at my watch and have to look again quite soon afterwards, because I hadn't actually comprehended what the time was.

It happens to me sometimes when I have a nice wallpaper on my iPhone :p
I want to see what time it is but I end up starring at the wallpaper.:D

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
This guy is so full of ****. I swear all Apply employees take training lessons how how to talk for hours without actually saying anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
So there's huge virtue, I think, in keeping the packaging small: at least, it is the right choice environmentally

The box for the Apple Watch Edition in particular will be crafted from premium materials, including aniline-dyed leather on the outside and an ultra-suede material on the inside.

Granted it's on the premium product, but including Leather doesn't really help to make it environmentally friendly.

TheDeviceUser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
U.K
According to 9to5Mac this is in the article.

"He runs through the three ranges of Apple Watch with their different materials – the stainless-steel Apple Watch, the anodised-aluminium Apple Watch Sport (both from $349) and the Apple Watch Edition in 18ct yellow or rose gold (with an as yet unconfirmed price of around $4,500)."

Interesting.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Nothing new here

And while the Apple Watch might be amazing - this comment makes me chuckle because it's pretty much any/every smart watch

"The iconic designer adds that he appreciates the convenience afforded by the Apple Watch, describing the wrist as the perfect place for the technology. The device, for example, will have a Glances feature on the watch face that delivers real-time information such as weather, stock quotes and upcoming calendar events without needing to take your iPhone out of your pocket."

bluechair1984

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Jony Ive flatters himself for an unreleased unproven product, more news at 11.

In what way did he flatter himself? He answered a question about the Apple Watch, describing what kind of device he thinks it is, and why he thinks it is that way.

As for the Apple Watch being unreleased and unproven, yes it is unreleased, but what exactly does it have to prove? That it is a watch?

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Oh, give it a rest.

The guy is promoting an open letter to Apple expressing disappointment with the new UI. I tell ya what man, the guy has passion. I don't think we'd get Microsoft users crapping their pants if the windows trash icon ever changed.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Because he has such a terrible track record. :rolleyes:

I think the point is it's not the captain that wins the game, he/she is only as good as the team around them. Clearly there are some extremely intelligent people at Apple working on the watch.

flowsy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2009
Germany
This guy is so full of ****. I swear all Apply employees take training lessons how how to talk for hours without actually saying anything.

No, he talks nothing like your average politician. And even though English isn't my first language, I can clearly understand what he's telling. He's just that guy, very thoughtful, obsessed with detail. I wouldn't expect him to talk any differently.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
As much as I'm looking forward to Monday's announcement I'm also dreading having to wade though an hours worth of this overwrought flowery puffery.

solamar

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
He can design the Watch... But certainly not the interface of OS X... Yosemite is ****...! :mad:

I like the changes.. I honestly think your in a minority when it comes to that opinion.

Can't please everyone all the time.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Jony Ive can say what he likes as long as the share price goes up.

solamar

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
No, he talks nothing like your average politician. And even though English isn't my first language, I can clearly understand what he's telling. He's just that guy, very thoughtful, obsessed with detail. I wouldn't expect him to talk any differently.

Agreed, obsession is often mistaken for eccentricity, or even narcissism ..

If he was a glory hound, self centered individual, he'd be a much more public pension who didn't care if he got his family on the nightly news or all over youtube.. He's actually a very private individual.. We know very little about his private life..

He just gets excited about his passion; design....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.