Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xwing1971

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Gulf Coast
You know? About 1997-about 2003, when every keynote was something BRAND NEW! Like, "today we're introducting itunes", or "the imac" or "ipod". Now, the keynotes are "here's the same mac with a new chip, or a smaller ipod." I guess I just miss the must-have feel of the old days, when you knew whatever the 'one more thing' was, it was going to blow your mind. I'm not really complaining, but I just wish they'd do something new again, instead of updating current stuff. Of course, I have the same complaint with Hollywood right now.

xwing1971

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Gulf Coast
I guess that's why I'm hoping for something BIG soon. Like another "We now have the fastest personal computer" or something. You know April 1st is coming soon. :)

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Well, other than the immenant (sp?) video ipod, a preview of leopard, new powermac cases (my guess) updated ibook form, universal pro apps, and overhaul to intel, 2006 really is the year of transition for apple. Sure they have to keep ipods fresh for christmas, but this year is taking a ton of effort to get the new chips transitioned.

As for NEW THINGS, I can see them coming, but at a slower rates. How many other types of media can you make an iTunes equivalant for? It really is perfect given the technology of today (download times etc).

I think SJ said it best in an interview after macworld 2006, 'we don't know how to make them any better' (or something very close) refering to form factors. The best example I can think of is the colors, how can you improve on the aluminum and white? I mean, white isn't exactly my cup o tea, but really, they have achieved a level of simplicity, and IMO perfection, that is hard to top, and to completely revelutionize everything again. It takes new technology to do that though, ie LCDs from CRTs, what a difference that made for the iMac.

But I'm in your boat, bring on the wow factor again.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Tiger's amazing too. When I first saw the dashboard I was hooked. Strangely when I first saw Tiger my first impressions were dashboard, wow, expose... er, ok, whatever. Now although I do use the dashboard its use is nothing when compared to the number of times I move my mouse to the shortcuts for expose.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
xwing1971 said:
You know? About 1997-about 2003, when every keynote was something BRAND NEW! Like, "today we're introducting itunes", or "the imac" or "ipod". Now, the keynotes are "here's the same mac with a new chip, or a smaller ipod." I guess I just miss the must-have feel of the old days, when you knew whatever the 'one more thing' was, it was going to blow your mind. I'm not really complaining, but I just wish they'd do something new again, instead of updating current stuff. Of course, I have the same complaint with Hollywood right now.

Desktops are over. Laptops are over. The new buzz will only come in handhelds or some class of devices that we have yet to see.

And also in amazing software. Software, as a rule, sucks totally, and is today, and always has been, the key limit to growth of computing as a world changing technology. Much more so than mere processor speed etc.

IF we had had software progress at the rate we experienced technology progress over that last two decades, we would all be talking to HAL right now. Instead, MS Word (as one example) is if anything, slower and harder to use that in was originally.

To achieve this growth in software sophistication and speed of development we need some form of automation/industrialisation/scientific revolution to replace the handicraft that currently is software creation, and I don't mean OOP, RAD or Patterns, thought the latter has some slight promise.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Also, if you want to really enjoy the surprise and exctement of new Apple products announced at events, stop visiting mac rumor sites. Endles speculation isn't exactly going to make the events fresh.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
mad jew said:
Have y'all forgotten iPod Socks already? :rolleyes:

Is there a single greater accessory/contribution to mankind?

The leather case.

I certainly don't miss the real old days of the classic OS - I hated 7, 8 and 9. Actually, I find 10.2 hard to use.

For the next MWSF I'm staying well away from here and then "watching" it all unfold on macrumourslive.com - it's a lot of fun watching and waiting for a new line to appear

"new Intel iMac, $1499"
"Steve Jobs scratches nose"
"takes a sip of water and...."
"has a bit of a cough"
"he's walking over to the desk to reveal...."
"a new bottle of smart water, he pulls the cap off, clears his throat...."
"...one more thing"
"today Apple is announcing a revolutionary new product that will make all your lives more exciting and fun, presenting the Apple...."
-CONNECTION RESET BY PEER, TRY AGAIN LATER-

Nooooooooooooooo!!!

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
I have to say I agree with you. When they first announced the Intel transition I was thinking "Wow, I wonder what the new computers will look like", when it's just the same old case. That's fine for the PowerMac, which is a sexy beast, but I'm getting bored of looking at the same old PowerBooks/MBPs. I want to see a new look, maybe a nod to the old TiBooks, or the Black PB G3s (but with the Apple the right way up)

Recently Apple has been holding huge events for things they would have just slipped onto the store in the past.

I'm not feeling the whole handheld vibe, it's been tried again and again, but handhelds will never take over from desktops or laptops. Not enough power, not fast enough to write on, too small (I could go on). I'd love an Apple tablet, though, drawing diagrams in a lecture would be a breeze.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Chundles said:
it's a lot of fun watching and waiting for a new line to appear

"new Intel iMac, $1499"
"Steve Jobs scratches nose"
"takes a sip of water and...."
"has a bit of a cough"
"he's walking over to the desk to reveal...."
"a new bottle of smart water, he pulls the cap off, clears his throat...."
"...one more thing"
"today Apple is announcing a revolutionary new product that will make all your lives more exciting and fun, presenting the Apple...."
-CONNECTION RESET BY PEER, TRY AGAIN LATER-

Nooooooooooooooo!!!

lol :D

xwing1971

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Gulf Coast
Well, if they start using that touch screen input device, that would be neat! Something totally new. And, I like the virtual keyboard from the desk in the Tron movie! :)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Wha..? What about the Mac mini? The most affordable Mac! Apple is doing TONS of stuff right now. C'mon. :rolleyes:

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I'm hoping that the MS Origami thingy will help push Apple to make the iPod video touch-screen device more than an iPod/portable video player.

You know, like a Newton. :)

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
While I agree that it is very nice to see an all new product, it's very important that existing products are kept current and get better, too.

Things I've liked are Dashboard, Spotlight, Front Row with Intel Mac mini (awesome for TV media systems as I'm setting up shortly) and the new MacBook Pro I ahd the pleasure of getting today. And I think the most important thing right now is getting the rest of the Mac line switcheed to Intel and getting all software ported.

xwing1971

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Gulf Coast
I liked the Mac Mini, but I wish they'd put in a tivo functionality to it. I bet they had to cowtow to the tv and movie studios.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.