Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Basilfawltyone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Chicago, IL
Seems to be a hysteria of getting larger and larger phones.

At the same time most electronics is getting smaller and smaller.

I remember Steve Jobs and his thesis that you should be able to handle your iPhone with one hand.

I am looking forward to the Apple Watch and I really want Apple to either produce a smaller iPhone or at least update the 5s.

I am a part of a very small percentage but still wanted to raise my voice.

Thanks for reading.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
The first phones were big, then people wanted them small. Now people want them bigger. So in a few years they will be small again.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Nope. I'm hoping for a iPhone 6s with a 5c shell. This is more likely that shrinking current 6 to 4" model.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy

I remember Steve Jobs and his thesis that you should be able to handle your iPhone with one hand.

I am looking forward to the Apple Watch and I really want Apple to either produce a smaller iPhone or at least update the 5s.

Thanks for reading.

Yes, idiotic. lol. Joking.

No, I can understand why you would. I've adjusted to the 4.7" screen but there are times where you definitely miss the one handed ease of the 4" screen of the 5/5S. Hard to beleieve the 4" iPhone screen is the size of a business card lol.

The extra screen real estate for reading news articles and books trumps the minor inconveniences -for me.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
You're not the only one. I shared this thought until I used a big phone - now I'll never go back. My friend who still has his 4s says the same thing. But I imagine his mind will change once he uses a big phone. My wife was similar - she used a 5s (and she's 5'1 with tiny hands) and got a 6+ and can't imagine ever going to something smaller. She definitely spends a lot more time on her phone (6+ vs the 5s).

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I go back and forth on this. I've enjoyed using my 6Plus for Internet applications more extensively than I have in the past. And I've enjoyed taking and viewing photos and video on it. I'm a bit more liberated from my tablet than before, that's for sure. I've been able to drop the data plan for my iPad and just use the phone for Internet connectivity when I'm away from home or free wifi. I wouldn't have done that if I were using a phone the size of a 5 or under.

But I still find it cumbersome that most web pages default to a constricted mobile version on such a generous screen and I find the whole device itself cumbersome to carry. I thought that really even the IPhone 5 was awkwardly long for my pocket and missed my 4.

Part of me wants to go back to something the size of the IPhone 4 for use primarily as a phone, mini camera and on-the-go text and email device, and reserve everything else for my IPad retina mini. But I have really liked my 6 plus a lot and would miss how nicely suited it is as an easily viewed GPS.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
You are not the only one, my iPhone was dying on me around the same time the 6 was coming out, and I didn't want to go with that big of a screen, so I switched to a 4.3" android phone, and even that is a little bit too big. I don't get how people enjoy using giant phones like the 6 and 6+. Unfortunately though I think I may be out of luck when it comes time to upgrade my current phone.

Apple was right when they were saying that it was important to be able to use your phone one-handed. If I wanted something bigger I'd get a tablet.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
You are not the only one, my iPhone was dying on me around the same time the 6 was coming out, and I didn't want to go with that big of a screen, so I switched to a 4.3" android phone, and even that is a little bit too big. I don't get how people enjoy using giant phones like the 6 and 6+. Unfortunately though I think I may be out of luck when it comes time to upgrade my current phone.

Apple was right when they were saying that it was important to be able to use your phone one-handed. If I wanted something bigger I'd get a tablet.

The 6+ is oversized for sure, but the iPhone 6 is a tiddler. No way is it a giant phone. Anything with a screen size under 5" is small.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
With apps increasing in functionality and the need for more screen space, the iPhone has needed to get bigger. The market demands it too and Apple were far too slow reacting to it IMO. It hasn't harmed their sales though. Now going smaller would simply be designing a phone that is harder to use than what we have now and I doubt they would see the point in that.

I think the only way you are going to get a smaller screen from Apple in the near future is to use a dumb phone and buy an iPod Touch. :)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The 6+ is oversized for sure, but the iPhone 6 is a tiddler. No way is it a giant phone. Anything with a screen size under 5" is small.

The 4.3" phone that I have is a little bit too big, and I've tried borrowing other people's iPhone 6's, and a good portion of the screen is unusable with one hand.

Basilfawltyone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
Chicago, IL
Reading what you all write seems like it is time to give up and get the "small" 6.

Will wait until Apple releases their next batch of phones, maybe in Sept/Oct as usual.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida

Thanks for reading.

I like the 5S. Did not purchase the newer ones nor will I. Hope Apple gives us some more options

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I don't mind the 4" form factor of the 5, but I really like the size of both the 6 and 6+. My hands are large, so the 6 feels about the perfect size for an everyday phone, but the 6+ is a phone I can easily manage one-handed as well.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Just like many others admitted, when I had my 4S I swore I never wanted anything bigger. Eventually got the 5S and thought, 4" is perfect. Got the 6 in December and I love the 4.7", so really any phone you get you adjust to it. 6+ might be a bit extreme and that may feel too big, but the 6 is seriously the sweet spot for me. Believe me when I say that you'll adjust very quickly. The 6 felt gigantic at first (I had sold my 5S and temporarily went back to my 4S) so I went from 3.5" to 4.7" and at first I was like wow... but after a few days the phone seemed normal again, almost as if it were back the 4S. You get comfortable with it. When I used my friends 4S the other day it was TINY, crazy how that used to be the standard iPhone.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
As a software developer and a human, I would prefer the phone size to evolve to fit our physical traits, not the other way around because it would take many generations of natural selection to get human hands to be big enough to accommodate the bigger phones.

I am hoping that our software will get better so that we requires a smaller screen to communicate efficiently. The ultimate device is one that is invisible.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Reading what you all write seems like it is time to give up and get the "small" 6.

Will wait until Apple releases their next batch of phones, maybe in Sept/Oct as usual.

If you can I'd say try to stick with the 5S until the iPhone 7 comes out in a year and a half or so. At that point Apple's normal update schedule will mean that the 5S is going to be discontinued. So if Apple is ever going to bring back a small screen phone I would think that'll be the latest it could come.

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
I wouldnt mind the 6s in a 4inch form again. Only reason i upgraded to the 6 was that it was cheaper then staying with my current iphone 5. I wouldnt hesistate to get a 4" 6s. yes i can use the 6 one handed.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have ultimately gotten used to the 4.7" screen of my iPhone 6. I do miss the 4" screen because it was easier for me to text/use with one hand. However, if Apple did release the 6s or 7 with a 4" screen, at this point, I probably would stick with the 4.7" since I've gotten used to it.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
You're not the only one. I shared this thought until I used a big phone - now I'll never go back. My friend who still has his 4s says the same thing. But I imagine his mind will change once he uses a big phone. My wife was similar - she used a 5s (and she's 5'1 with tiny hands) and got a 6+ and can't imagine ever going to something smaller. She definitely spends a lot more time on her phone (6+ vs the 5s).

now we're talking. this is exactly what i am talking about. it's just a matter of time or giving yourself enough time to adjust to the size of the 6 plus or 6. personally with what the 6 plus can offer, i wouldn't go back to a 5 let alone a 4. there are so many phones out there and you have the freedom of choice. if you do want a smaller phone look elsewhere.

i myself we're laughing at the size of the plus the first time a saw it at an apple store. and i told myself that i will never get that humongous phone. now i have a plus and loving it. now every time i see a 4 or a 5, i was surprised at myself on how i managed to use it back then.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
I don't think you're in a very small percentage. Keep in mind how many tens of millions of 3.5" and 4" iPhones Apple sold. We still don't have a true apples to apples choice, because the 4" iPhones have lower performing components and missing features compared to the iPhone 6/6 Plus. No one can draw any conclusion about the screen size demand until we have a choice of all things being equal, except the screen size.

But, I think that ship has sailed. I doubt that Apple will go back to the smaller screen sizes moving forward.

Also, keep in mind that at the time that the original iPhone came out, it was the largest touchscreen smartphone on the market. Jobs was right about the one-handed use and pocketability. But, there were a lot of consumers out there that were fine with compromising those aspects in favor of a larger screen. And Apple's now going along with that view.

jackwills

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
New York, NY
Same here. Bought an iPhone 6 4.7 after an iPhone 5. Should have bought an 5s instead..... Odds are the 5s don't support ApplePay, the only reason that stops me from selling my iPhone 6 and go back to an 5s:mad::mad:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Same here. Bought an iPhone 6 4.7 after an iPhone 5. Should have bought an 5s instead..... Odds are the 5s don't support ApplePay, the only reason that stops me from selling my iPhone 6 and go back to an 5s:mad::mad:

It surprises me when people cite Apple Pay as a reason for buying or staying with a phone. I couldn't care less about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.